December 2010 Moms

I think I'll stop telling people our girl's name...

Is Alice really that bad??

Nobody seems to like it as far as family and co-workers go!!! 2 of my girlfriends like it at least!

I think Alice in Wonderland or Alice from Twilight- not too bad IMO!

No boy's names yet- and I don't think I'm sharing when we have one!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: I think I'll stop telling people our girl's name...

• That's why we're not sharing names. My mom knows the names, but hasn't made any comments about them. I don't want to deal with people's comments.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Btw- Alice is not a bad name.
  • Loading the player...
  • Alice is one of my favorite names and always has been (I think of the same book characters you do), but I can't use it myself because it's my mom's first name and she just hates it.  

This is why we're not telling anyone our names, either.  I'm not in the mood to take other people's comments, LOL. 

• I'm not sure why people feel when you share that you're sharing for their comments..unless you specifically say "what do you think?" I shared an example of our nursery if its a girl with a coworker and she was like oooh I like the other one don't do that one because its too drab and babies like colors...I was offended and I think people think that if the baby isn't here yet everything is still up in the air so its not personal.

Alice is not a bad name

• Alice is a great name!

We are not telling anyone our names either, because my fabulous inlaws voiced their awful opinion about my son, William's, name when we told them. I guess there is someone in the family that is named William, who I have never heard of nor does anyone ever talk about this person. My uncle, who died shortly after my son was born was where we got the name, but he went by Bill. I was so hurt that they actually voiced their dislike that I vowed not to tell anyone.

• Alice is a nice name. I think of Alice Walker who wrote "The Color Purple."

At any rate, I agree with pp, it's not worth sharing the names, esp if you don't want opinions. You like it, DH likes it and as long as it's not a name that would cause a child undue ridicule (this one clearly would not) then that is  ALL that matters. 

• FWIW, I think Alice is very pretty.
  • I like Alice! And it's not uber popular right now which is a huge plus.
  • Alice is a great name!  It was our second choice!  We decided we like Natalie best though, and Andrew for a boy.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yea I like alice too! I know how you feel! I like maragret as a girl name and everyone doesn't like it either!
  • I think Alice is a very cute name.  You have to be prepared for a negative response from people if you are going to tell them what name you are thinking of.  :(  So far with all of the names we've been considering people have been 50/50.

So don't really worry too much about what other people think, as long as it's a name that YOU and your SO love that's all that matters.

I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • We are going through this same thing with some of our family. For the Record, I think Alice is a very  sweet name that is not over used. I have this thing about super common names- and absolutely refused to name any of our kids something that someone else in their class, or same age would have.

We have vowed to keep the name a secret until the baby is born on the next one. Just so that we dont have to hear the crap- and plus if they are like what a horrible name when they're holding your kid u can kick them out lol.

Hope that you go with what your heart feels is right, instead of what everyone else is pushing you to do. My Mom and I were having a conversation about this earlier and she made a good point, it's like if people tell you they dont like a name long enough, they think that they will eventually get you to change it to something that they do like.

• Alice is in our top 5-10 girls' names, so obviously I love it.

There will be some people who will hate whatever name you chose. It's entirely different when baby comes out and they start loving the baby and associating that name with him/her.

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • imagewelshgirl:

Alice is in our top 5-10 girls' names, so obviously I love it.

There will be some people who will hate whatever name you chose. It's entirely different when baby comes out and they start loving the baby and associating that name with him/her.

So true! I say stop telling people. They can be just plain old rude!

• Are you kidding me?!  Alice is a GREAT name!  It's my top pick right now for a girl's name!  I love it!  And who cares who else likes it and who doesn't...  as long as you and your hubby like it.
  • kat81kat81 member

yup, don't share names.

Alice is a great name, by the way!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think that Alice is a great name!

DH and I are not sharing the name of our LO because we really don't care to hear everyone's opinions.  I don't want to be swayed on a name that we agree on because of some comments.  GL to you!

Proud Momma to two beautiful children!!!

• totally agree, don't tell people, they will all have an opinion and the only opinion that really matters is yours.  just tell people you haven't decided yet and go on with your choice. 

• I love the name Alice. It was one of my top choices but I think we're going with Alyssa, which is similar.

We're not discussing names with anyone. Opinions are like @ssholes :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Don't worry what others tell you and I'd keep the names to yourselves until the baby arrives.  We have "dummy" lists of names, mostly people from DH's fave football team or movies to tell people since its a common question and we don't want to be harassed for keeping secrets. (we aren't telling parents/family or friends).  Most people will keep their opinions to themselves once they meet the baby and hear our name choice.  And if they don't watch out since I'll be all hormonal from the birth and stuff. We've only told one person our boy name and she's a friend I work with who's pregnant and due in November. She just found out she was having a boy and announced on FB the baby's sex and name and it's the same name as us.  So I talked with her alone and just let her know we had also picked the same name (it's fairly popular nowadays) but its the only one DH and I could agree on. She was totally cool with us sharing boys names, although I'm sure our play dates will be interesting.  So GL and its only a few more months before people start losing their filters on our parenting skills rather than planning for a baby and our progress through pregnancy. 
  • I think Alice is a really sweet name! There was a girl named Alice in my high school and she was very nice and popular, if that helps haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"