Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Rpst: What am I missing, drawing a blank!

Reposting from the 3rd trimester boards

So I feel like i'm missing something from  my list here.  This is my second baby and just drawing a blank on the " necessities" that I will need for a newborn. I"m talking about the little things here that baby will need .

I have on my list to buy

Diapers

Alcohol wipes ( for umbilical cord care)

Vaseline and desitine

rectal thermometer

Am I missing anything?                  Thanks

Re: Rpst: What am I missing, drawing a blank!

• You dont HAVE to have a rectal thermometer. My hospital actually told me they dont recommend taking temps that way. I bought a infant care kit at Target with all the little things
  • buying alcohol wipes (unless said by the pedi) could be a waste of money. Now a days they do not recommend using anything on the umbilical cord. They say to keep it dry, and by using alcohol it just keeps it moist more than needed, and may make it take longer to fall off.

just saying to each is own, but that is just my opinion. The rest of your list looks good though!

GL!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetay5267:
    You dont HAVE to have a rectal thermometer. My hospital actually told me they dont recommend taking temps that way. I bought a infant care kit at Target with all the little things

It varies by hospital/clinic. Our clinic specifically asks for rectal temps.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LMarkLMark member
    I like having hand sanitizer, both a bottle near the changing table and a small travel-size one for the diaper bag.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Baby nail clippers & nail files

hand sanitizers - lots of them

baby wipes

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • nasal aspirator
    William 04.12.2010
  • Maybe I was oblivious to this, but one thing I didn't purchase ahead of time was baby wash.  I had some at home, but it was scented and the hospital recommended not using anything with a fragrance to wash him with.  So needless to say, I went out and bought some non-scented stuff....along with my size 1 diapers because DS decided to come out so big that we wouldn't even need the newborn size.  So I would recommend saving your receipt for diapers in case you need a different size. :)
  • If you're having a boy and planning on circumsizing, you might want to get a lot of gauze. Our Pedi had us put a giant glob of Vaseline on gauze and cover Ds's penis with it before putting on the diaper. We went through gauze like crazy.

Edit: and lots and lots of burp rags.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"