Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Preventing Homosexuality in the Womb

I just saw a story on the news about a research study to prevent homosexuality in girls.  They are giving pregant moms dexamethasone.  The drug was previously given to girls/women with congenital adrenal hyperplasa to prevent homone disruption, ambiguous genitalia, tomboyism (they really said tomboyism), and lesbianism.  So, they think that it could be given to moms with girls to prevent the baby from being gay or bi. 

This is crazy!!!  But, I thought this story went with unpopular opinion day!

Re: Preventing Homosexuality in the Womb

• we give dex to dogs when they have a puncture in their lungs to open their airway! I wonder what it would do to moms and fetuses.
  • Loading the player...
  • Really? Homosexuality is something that needs to be prevented?

Maybe we can prevent dark hair/eyes/skin so everyone can be blonde haired and blue eyed.

This is a test. This is only a test.
  • What news, and where? I would like to see more on this myself! and my opinion on the matter: I don't care whether you're down with homosexuality or not. Taking some crazy drug because it may or may not prevent something that might happen while you are pregnant is NUTS!!! (IMO)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageHotSauceonaStick:

Really? Homosexuality is something that needs to be prevented?

Maybe we can prevent dark hair/eyes/skin so everyone can be blonde haired and blue eyed.

BUT I DON'T WANT TO BE BLONDEEEEEEEEE!

My UO on this: I think homosexuality comes from nurture, not nature. Embarrassed

Regardless, I think it is whacked out to put your fetus at risk on something that has little scientific backing. 

• imagewalkerkeli:
    What news, and where? I would like to see more on this myself! and my opinion on the matter: I don't care whether you're down with homosexuality or not. Taking some crazy drug because it may or may not prevent something that might happen while you are pregnant is NUTS!!! (IMO)

Link to story on the web - The last sentence is the part that I couldn't believe!

• Your summary of the story is a bit misleading...but there are serious ethical concerns with the use of dexamethasone in pregnant women.  I've read that the FDA is currently investigating its use (which is all off-label).

Here is a Time piece on this story.

• imageshortyred919:
    imageHotSauceonaStick:

My UO on this: I think homosexuality comes from nurture, not nature. Embarrassed

Regardless, I think it is whacked out to put your fetus at risk on something that has little scientific backing. 

You shall conform. Now, show me your papers.

• The news station didn't go into as much detail as the Time piece.  The reporter didn't mention the ethical concerns, etc. 
  • imageBabyLove987:
    The news station didn't go into as much detail as the Time piece.  The reporter didn't mention the ethical concerns, etc. 

Just curious: was it FoxNews?

• imageHotSauceonaStick:

imageBabyLove987:
    The news station didn't go into as much detail as the Time piece.  The reporter didn't mention the ethical concerns, etc. 

Nope.  ABC local news

• imageshortyred919:

Awesome.  Can you please share with me your methods to make your kids straight?   You should write a book!

• ablouablou member
    imageshortyred919:
    imageHotSauceonaStick:

Damn! Idea In that case, can Bean borrow one of Darby's feather boas??? (see my dancing boys post...) I want a daaaaaaaancing queeeeeeeeeen!!!Cool

• imageBabyLove987:
    imageHotSauceonaStick:

imageBabyLove987:

Nope.  ABC local news

Stick out tongue Just curious

• imageshortyred919:

I agree!

• imagebarista221:
    imageshortyred919:

I agree!

Those who nurture their kids into being queer should be 100% sterilized.

• Wow people are NUTS! I wouldn't even get the D@mn H1N1 shot because I didnt think it was safe or that it had been around long enough for anyone to really know if it would harm my baby when I was pregnant. Not to mention that it's insane to think that a shot can keep you from being gay. Homophobes are so lame.
  • ablouablou member
    imageToledoDeux:
    imagebarista221:
    imageshortyred919:

I agree!

Darn.  That was my plan. Actually, I want my boy to be a drag queen that dresses like me...Big Smile

• imageshortyred919:
    imageHotSauceonaStick:

Don't be modest-you're chocked full of UO today.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageshortyred919:
    imageHotSauceonaStick:

Get with the 21st century already! It's not a matter of opinion. It is scientifically proven that there are biological factors involved in homosexuality. I hope your child isn't gay, because you will make them a total closet case!!!

• imageshortyred919:
    imageHotSauceonaStick:

Ehhh... This hurts.

My brother is gay. He was born gay. PERIOD. You are not nurtured into homosexuality. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Expecting Logan James (Spina Bifida) May 2013. Follow our journey: http://littleloganjames.blogspot.com/
  • epphdepphd member
    imageshortyred919:
    imageHotSauceonaStick:

Yea, Shorty, I have to say - between your comments about Catholics and gays, I have to give you the big old No

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • I think you guys slightly misunderstood me. 

While I think being gay comes from one's environment, I didn't say that it's on purpose. I think there are many factors that can lead to that particular lifestyle. If you're homosexual, I still honor you. I didn't mean for it to come across as offensive. If it did, I'm sorry. 

If it's any consolation, I went to prom with someone who is gay. I have friends that are gay. I still love you if you are gay.

I don't know if any of this makes sense since I have all three kids going nuts right now. If you have further questions, PM me.  

• I didn't misunderstand you.

I just painfully disagree with you.

How does being gay come from one's environment? I really want to try to understand your thinking. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Expecting Logan James (Spina Bifida) May 2013. Follow our journey: http://littleloganjames.blogspot.com/
  • epphdepphd member
    imageToledoDeux:
    imagebarista221:
    imageshortyred919:

I agree!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Indifferent
  • imageshortyred919:

I think you guys slightly misunderstood me. 

While I think being gay comes from one's environment, I didn't say that it's on purpose. I think there are many factors that can lead to that particular lifestyle. If you're homosexual, I still honor you. I didn't mean for it to come across as offensive. If it did, I'm sorry. 

If it's any consolation, I went to prom with someone who is gay. I have friends that are gay. I still love you if you are gay.

I don't know if any of this makes sense since I have all three kids going nuts right now. If you have further questions, PM me.  

You weren't misunderstood. You are just simply wrong. Intentional or not, people are not 'nurtured' into homosexuality. They are born that way, plain and simple. It's insulting to have people still deny that homosexuality is something people are born with, so while you meant it or not, it is insulting to some. How would you explain homosexuality in animals other than humans? Are they also 'Nurtured that way' in your "opinion"?

• imageshortyred919:

Oh, well since you went to prom with a gay dude it's all cool. Hmm

This is a ridiculous opinion to have. Even if you're not implying that it's done "on purpose", being gay is not a "lifestyle", it's a sexual orientation. For cripes sake.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageshortyred919:

I am seriously giving you the side-eye right now Shorty. Really? If you know any gay people at all, like you claim you do, you would know that they are not gay because of their environment, they are gay because they are in fact born that way. And do your gay friends know you think this? Because I can't imagine that they would consider you a friend?
    Now for the real question, can a gay person be a Christian? Will they be going to heaven or to hell?

•  Came over to lurk since I heard it was interesting over here today. 

Nurture, not nature, huh?

So.......why is it that my husband is straight and his identical twin brother is gay?  And they had the exact same upbringing?  :-/ 

No.  It's nature.  Sorry.  No one will ever convince me otherwise. 

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • imageMrsBalletStar05:

Came over to lurk since I heard it was interesting over here today. 

So.......why is it that my husband is straight and his identical twin brother is gay?  And they had the exact same upbringing?  :-/ 

Sorry, just stirring the pot a little:

If they are identical, doesn't that in fact mean that they have the same biology so in fact it has little to do with biology?

Mom to Cameron, born March 6, 2010
    BFP December 27, 2010, MC January 2, 2011
    BFP March 17, 2011, MC April 7, 2011
    BFP August 22, 2011, EDD April 21, 2012
    My Blog:
  • imagexmaryrickx:
    imageshortyred919:

I am seriously giving you the side-eye right now Shorty. Really? If you know any gay people at all, like you claim you do, you would know that they are not gay because of their environment, they are gay because they are in fact born that way. And do your gay friends know you think this? Because I can't imagine that they would consider you a friend?
    Now for the real question, can a gay person be a Christian? Will they be going to heaven or to hell?

depends... are they actually christian, or are they catholic? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What enviornmental factors make kids gay? because I'm going to use this list to choose my daycare.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• imageshortyred919:
    imageHotSauceonaStick:

I'd have to say, in MOST cases, I respectfully disagree. I believe there may be biological factors (there is scientific research, but then again, I don't believe unless somethings 100% its not always true- my opinion on that is hard to explain in writing and on the Bump lol) but I do believe that in some cases, children who were "born" homosexual, can be raised to either embrace it or not.

Just a small for instance, I have a friend that is by all means a stereotypical gay man, and he believes and even says he was "probably born to be gay" but he is sexually attracted to women and has no interest in men. So I guess I'm just torn and I don't think there will EVER be a definite answer.

But anyways, Shorty- I would have to say, in most ways I disagree with you, but not in every case.

The end.

• imagelljns:
    imageMrsBalletStar05:

Came over to lurk since I heard it was interesting over here today. 

Sorry, just stirring the pot a little:

If they are identical, doesn't that in fact mean that they have the same biology so in fact it has little to do with biology?

I was thinking the same thing...

• imagethemrs830:
    imageshortyred919:
    imageHotSauceonaStick:

I'd have to say, in MOST cases, I respectfully disagree. I believe there may be biological factors (there is scientific research, but then again, I don't believe unless somethings 100% its not always true- my opinion on that is hard to explain in writing and on the Bump lol) but I do believe that in some cases, children who were "born" homosexual, can be raised to either embrace it or not.

Just a small for instance, I have a friend that is by all means a stereotypical gay man, and he believes and even says he was "probably born to be gay" but he is sexually attracted to women and has no interest in men. So I guess I'm just torn and I don't think there will EVER be a definite answer.

But anyways, Shorty- I would have to say, in most ways I disagree with you, but not in every case.

The end.

Your friend is going to live a very very sad life, and it breaks my heart to hear things like that. If he was probably born to be gay, his attraction to women is not real, it is him trying to be "normal". A lot of gay people go through that, some take it as far as to get married and have children. Some will live their whole lives denying who they really are, some will not be able to deny it anymore and choose to leave their families.

My brother is gay. He was always different, from the time he was little. I knew, from probably about the age of 5 that my brother was different (he would have been 11). I didn't know how or why, but I did know it. By the time I knew what gay was (maybe12ish), I knew that he was gay. He didn't come out to me until he was 27, to my parents he was 29 or 30. When you see the relief on the face of someone who has just told you what they thought was their deepest secret, and that you embrace and love them for who they are, you would understand that it is NOT a choice to be gay or not. It is part of someones biology, just like you knew who you are attracted to, they do too. 

• Maryrick-

My brother is gay too, you literally just described what we went through. He came out earlier than your bro tho.

• My best friend came out when he was 16.  We knew from the time he was 5 or 6 that he was gay.  His upbringing was one of the most traditional, masculine, straight households around.  Definitely not a nurture thing.  I also don't understand how someone could nurture that.  You can't force someone to be attracted to someone of the opposite sex they don't like.  You can't force someone to be attracted to someone of the same sex, either.  You're attracted to people based on bodily needs and pheromones.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"