Babies: 0 - 3 Months

any SAHMs without a schedule?

I nurse on demand and just follow her cues on whether she wants to nap or play. We do go to bed around the same time everynight and get up around the same time everyday.

I just keep hearing about schedules and I wonder if I should be trying to get DD on one?

DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0

Re: any SAHMs without a schedule?

• We do the same thing. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i didn't start a schedule with my dd until about 4 months.  i will do the same with ds.  i just take his cues right now...

when he is crying i usually feed him, if sweaty i give a bath, and i let him sleep everywhere and anywhere! 

• Loading the player...
  • Right now, we don't have a set schedule but I'm working on changing that. I keep certain routines the same (bath in the morning, getting her ready for bed, overnight feedings/diaper changes). But we're like you - I feed her on demand, let her "decide" if it's nap or "play". She usually goes to bed and wakes up around the same time.
  • I have a schedule that I try to stick to for DS but not for DD, I think she's a little too young still. I nurse on demand and let her sleep when she wants. Like you, we go to bed around the same time and wake up at the same time every day. I think around 3 months is when I'll try to get her more on DS's schedule (at least with sleep)

• do what works for you.  with DD #1 i read "no cry sleep solution" which encourages you to keep a journal of your day with LO and then sort of use that as a guide for a "schedule".  you are still following their cues but you sort of learn what their "normal" is.  it will change weekly but it helped me keep my sanity by getting an idea of what to expect each day.  once i started noticing her basic routine she sort of fell into a routine and began sttn at 8wks.  i have no idea if she would have sttn anyway or if this helped but it did work for us.  GL!
  • KaymeeKaymee member
    We really didn't establish a schedule with DS until he was about 4 months old.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 12/19/08 m/c 12/26/08 4 weeks 5 days BFP 10/12/12 m/c 11/19/12 9 weeks...love you forever my angel babies!
  • we nurse on demand, With DS I would follow his routine and eventually it turned into a schedule--roughly. Just keep doing what your doing, and eventually you'll see a pattern. With BFing its hard to do a schedule.
  • We don't have a schedule. I feed on demand and she naps whenever. She wakes up around the same time in the morning but her bedtime isn't very consistent.

This is what works for for now. I like that I can do whatever and she isn't going to freak out somewhere because it's her naptime, bedtime, etc.

• I do whatever LO wants. I'll try a schedule later on when he's older. He naturally does certain things at certain times, but I don't force it.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I let her run the show!  She has a somewhat predictable routine at this point in terms of awake periods and length of naps but it's all her.  The only thing we do the same every day is turn off the living room light for her 10 PM feeding since it's almost always her last nurse and it keeps her less distracted (ie: more likely to fall asleep faster).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I do the same as you do for the baby. My toddler has an actual nap and bed time that we follow so meals naturally occur at similar times as does her wake time. I will do the same for DS once he's old enough for that.
  • imageprincessjenney:

I nurse on demand and just follow her cues on whether she wants to nap or play. We do go to bed around the same time everynight and get up around the same time everyday.

I just keep hearing about schedules and I wonder if I should be trying to get DD on one?

We do the same as well.  Smile

• imageCaitlinJ22:
    we nurse on demand, With DS I would follow his routine and eventually it turned into a schedule--roughly. Just keep doing what your doing, and eventually you'll see a pattern. With BFing its hard to do a schedule.

Same here. 

Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • BFab11BFab11 member
    I do the same thing; he pretty much sets his own schedule.  I follow his cues, but we go to bed and wake up around the same time every day.  During the day he sleeps wherever he falls asleep.
  • We started a schedule almost immediatly. DH was resistant, but when DS started sleeping throught the night at 6 weeks he was on board. We fed every 3 hours, kept him up for a while after eating, and napped for 1-1.5 hours before eating again. This was great for us because we knew what to expect. I knew when he needed to eat so I was not out running errands and in the middle of Target when he was hungry. His schedule is changing a little as he gets older and needs less sleep, but I really liked having a plan for each day.
  • This is EXACTLY what I do with LO. It seems to be turning into a schedule. We also take a family walk at night and do bath time before bed.
  • No schedule here.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hey, I'm lurking from 3-6,

but I can tell you that we have a soft schedule in place.  DS goes to bed by 9pm, gets up by 6am, first nap by 7:30 and then from there, it varies.  We just hit four months, which has thrown teething at us and him being more aware of things = him fighting sleep. 

I think each baby is different and DS is generally a good baby (by baby whisperer terms part angel baby/part textbook.)  But he has some days where he's hungrier and doesn't go as long between bottles.  And today, he's sleepier - I think it's either a growth spurt or teething that's making him so tired.  We're on our fourth nap but each nap is only about 30 min max (at this time we'd just be getting to our third nap and he usually sleeps around an hour.)

So, while I have a routine, I still go by his cues.  HE set the routine, not me.  That would be my advice, OP.  Keep letting your DC set the routine and you'll find yourself to a schedule sooner than you would if you tried to set it.  And remember that growing spurts, teething, solids and many more things will throw off your routine at least a little.

Lucas Arlo - 2/26/10, Cordelia Jane - 1/20/12 
    #3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
  • I started a schedule with my son around 4 months. I charted what he did (food and naps) starting at 3 months, so I could see what I was working with. I pretty much just followed the EASY plan for 4 month olds. 

I am hoping to do the same with my daughter, but really it is going to depend on my son's schedule as well.

• Thanks everyone! Lots of great info =)
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"