1st Trimester
Options

When do you plan on looking into child care?

I know it's so early in the pregnancy and thinking about daycare should be far from my mind but I have heard so many stories of people being put on waiting lists for 9 - 12 months before their child even gets in!

I live in a LCOL area and thought that their wouldn't be waiting lists but after talking to a co-worker I learned his son was on a 6 month waiting list!

When do you plan on looking into child care? Are you going to look for a nanny? daycare facility? in-home daycare? something different....

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: When do you plan on looking into child care?

• Options
    i don't need to look this time around but i would definitely start by about 15-20 weeks.  i know it seems crazy when baby is still far from coming but it can be really hard to look into everything and narrow it down.  it took us weeks just to figure out which places we wanted to tour.  once we toured, we made our list from there...it just so happened that the place that we liked best, had no wait list and guaranteed us a spot when we wanted.  but, we also went on a waitlist at our 2nd choice just in case....we JUST got offered a spot for DS.  doh!  and they offered us an "infant" spot even though he's a toddler.  so we really haven't been offered an appropirate spot for him yet! 
    DS - June 2009
    DD - February 2011
  • Options
    We are on a waiting list now...
    Stroller Pushing,Doctor Respecting, Full Time Daycare Paying, Alone Time Appreciating,Boundary Setting Momma
    Jenny McCarthy = Former Playmate and MTV host
    Pediatrician = Doctor with extensive experience and education on children.
    Bumpies = Don't get me started!
    I know who I get my health advice from!
    What are you looking at?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MonaLSMonaLS member
    i'm on a waitlist now and will probably be on two..places around here have up to 2-3 year waiting lists.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

We already have our childcare situation figured out but here is what I have experienced.  If you are looking for a development center, montessori school, eco-healthy, or private school daycare, then look will in advance as there will probably be a list.  If you are looking for licensed in-home daycares, there isn't as much of a rush.  It is still good to call and visit them well in advance, but it is likely that they don't know what their openings will be until a month or two before they have one.  

My DD is currently on a waiting list for a new daycare center and will be starting in December after an 8-month wait. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I am just curious what people do that weren't necessarily TTC when they got pregnant. We weren't TTC and daycare wasn't even on my radar at this point in my life! It seems crazy that people are on wait lists before they even start TTC like the one PP stated 2-3 year wait list. wow.

I guess I will need to start looking asap and get my name on a list somewhere.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Wow! My first thought after reading the Q was 6 months, but now I'mgonna start as soon as we get to Washington in 2 months!
  • Options
    I just started looking into this.  I won't return to work until September 2011, so I'm hoping that buys me some time.
  • Options
    I think im lucky becuase we have never really had to worry about finding daycare and what not we already knew and had that all figured out before we got pregnant.. My mom owns and runs a daycare a mile from us and so not only do we have someone we trust to watch our little one its free... which is a huge blessing!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My mother in law runs an in home daycare, if I needed to find something this is what I would be looking for.  There are so many pros.  She treats every child as if they were her own, very personal, becomes extended family, siblings are in the same room (not seperated by ages), she is very flexible with hours (not sure if they all are).

Good Luck!

• Options
    We don't have any grandparents around who could help out but fortunately DH sets his own hours so he's planning to stay home with LO 3 days/week and work around that.  The other two days I'll either work from home and maybe pay a college student to help out or take LO to the daycare at my office park.  It's one of the best in the area and the president of our office park pulls strings to get his tenants' kids in.
    natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would start soon, if you definitely plan on going back to work.  Maybe once you are out of 1st trimester, start visiting places.  I live in suburbia and the good places have waiting lists that are 6 months to a year.  It can't hurt to look early.  I didn't go back to work after my son, but when I was thinking about it, I looked into a few places, and most of them had waiting lists for infants.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageStina4242:

My mother in law runs an in home daycare, if I needed to find something this is what I would be looking for.  There are so many pros.  She treats every child as if they were her own, very personal, becomes extended family, siblings are in the same room (not seperated by ages), she is very flexible with hours (not sure if they all are).

Good Luck!

If I ever needed to put my kid in daycare, I would probably do this.  I run a little in home daycare ( I don't have my license, so I only watch 2).  I feel like places like Goddard s chools are okay, but they aren't able to give the attention to each baby that in home cares can.  Be careful, though, if you go this route, because there are some bad care.takers out there and some of them take on more kids than they can handle.One more piece of advice- Make sure that if you do an in-home daycare that they know you are claiming daycare expenses on your taxes.  I just started watching a little girl whose parents wanted to claim expenses, but the caretaker refused to give them her information, so they couldn't claim it.  Turns out she was a who crook who wasn't claiming her income from watching kids on her taxes.

• Options
    I am going to start looking this summer--We will need childcare starting in May of next year.  We will only need it for two months, though, and then I will be off for the summer.  I need to find a place that is affordable, opens early (DH get to work with the sunrise, and I leave the house for work at 6am), and will hold my spot for the summer.  I am also considering someone coming to my home--since I think it will be hard to find a daycare that opens at 6am.  The ones I've researched (online only) open at 6:30 or 7. 

Married 12.9.06

DD born 1.6.11

TTC #2 since 7.12

• Options
    imageStina4242:

Good Luck!

I totally agree with you that this is the best way to go. when its in home then you know they have more time for your kids. I have worked at my moms daycare for 7 years... and i concider those kids my babies... and i have watched many of those kids since they were a few days to a few weeks old and their older siblings... when its a small daycare its so much better!

• Options
    We know which daycare center we'll use, because my firm has its own (still have to pay, but it's nice, co-workers say it's great, it's very close to the office, $$ gets deducted straight from paycheck, etc.).  We've already seen the heartbeat once, but I think after our appt and u/s on 7/14 (nearly 9 wks), I'll put down the deposit to get on the waitlist.
  • Options
    Living in the DC area finding childcare can be like playing the lottery so I'm going to start when the second trimester starts. We're going to do a nanny share with good friends of ours from college. We'll get to go through the same selection and interview process that you go though normally, but by sharing the nanny full time with another family, it significantly lowers the cost. The nanny will alternate which homes she comes to, which is fine since we live ten minutes apart. Out friends already have an agency from when they were expecting their daughter last year, but they decided to wait on the nanny until they could share one with a family that they knew. Hopefully if all goes well, that will be us.
  • Options

We are set since DD goes to a small, in home daycare, but I would suggest starting immediately.  I know another poster said you may not need to rush if this is what you are looking for, but a family members runs the dc where DD goes... she just got a 4 month old, she is getting another baby in September, and therefore, my Jan LO (who will be going to her in April 2011) is taking her last slot and she now has no openings until Sept 2011, so when people call her now, she takes their info, but says they likely will not get a call from her for over a year. 

Most daycares are limited by the number of infants they can take. 

• Options
    To be honest, Daycare takes alot of time to figure out. You need to schedule appointments and take tours (I would set up a scheduled tour and also tell them you want to do an unscheduled visit to see how things are when they don't know you're coming). My sister in law works at a daycare and the weight lists vary with each facility. I am 9 weeks pregnant and I am already on the wait list for the one I want. They know my due date and the expected time my baby will start their so it makes it easier. I do have a back up plan and currently on a secondary wait list in case there is no opening when it is my baby's time to start daycare. You can never be too prepared.
  • Options
    My very generous sister has offered up free daycare to us when I'm working during the day (I will work 3 weekdays and Saturday). When I'm at class, my school has a drop in daycare that I will utilize. This was one of the first things I thought of - this pregnancy was not planned and I was freaking out about logistics. If not for my sister, I'd be looking into daycare right away.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"