Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Will you let your LO cuss?

My parents never cussed in front of us, never.  We were not allowed to say crap until we were teens and even then it was looked down on.  Now my best friend was allowed to cuss around her parents at like 10 or maybe even younger, as long as she didn't say something like f**k you to an adult, but she could say stuff like "that's f**cked up" or "oh Sh*t". 

I do not want to be as strict as my parents, but I will definitely set boundaries on what can and cannot be said.  Of course I cannot control what they say when I am not around, but hopefully, I will lead by example and they will do what is expected of them when I am away.  I will not let them be like my friend was...

Re: Will you let your LO cuss?

• Not at all. It's not acceptable behavior. I don't swear at all unless I get hurt or something and say "***!" or something from the pain. Growing up words we were not allowed to say were "crap", "shut up" and "fart". LOL. My mom HATES the word fart. We're still not allowed to say it. hahaha
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • No way, however I won't be as strict as my parents were.  We will have to see how it goes.  I do know that when I was a teenager and I said 'hell' my mom would get mad and I won't be like that.  But I also will not have a 3 year old saying 'what the hell' or anything like that.
  • Loading the player...
  • My mom still gives me the side eye if I say crap at nearly 40. I don't want to be that strict but I don't want him to cuss until he's an adult. This will be hard to enforce because DH allows his kids (my step kids) to cuss and his family sees nothing wrong with words like sh!!t.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • My parents would cuss in front of us but we weren't allowed to. And still now I don't cuss in front of them.

I don't like DD cussing, and I hope to teach her good manners and she will behave all the time (I'm so naive, I know). But sometimes we think one of her first words she will say is the equivalent of f*** in spanishEmbarrassed

• Maybe.  I was never allowed to say anything remotely close to a cuss word growing up, which almost made it seem more interesting.  DH and I believe that if the words are not "forbidden", then hopefully they won't be so appealing.  If used rarely and in proper context (like only at home and not directed toward anyone) we probably will let some of the weaker curse words fly.
  • My mom was very strict with forbidding it as I grew up.. now I have a bad mouth lol.

I didn't want the same thing to happen with my kids. So my rule is: Once they are 13 and officially a teenager, they can say what they want with their friends. As long as I personally do not hear it, and it's not spoken at school or at future jobs. A time and place for everything. So far it's worked out really well with my teenager. 

• I will not allow my LO to cuss. I was raised in a home where that was just not allowed. Only problem is my husband was raised in a home where they drop the F bomb and other every colorful phrases. Since we've married for 3 years, I've even picked up some the bad words. So we are working very hard at not cursing at all. Because we have a little mimic at our house! I would just die if she said something bad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • sgrlsgrl member

My friend's kids are allowed to say whatever they want at home, but not in public and not in front of other people. They're the nicest, most respectful kids you'd ever want to meet!

Not sure what I'll do. I'm quite sure my husband won't allow her to curse.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • not intentionally but if he says shiit or something in his teen years i'm not gonna flip my lid.
  • I really don't get the big deal about cussing. As long as the words are not directed at someone in an offensive way, they're just words. My mom cussed around me and my sister when we were kids (not anything crazy, just the regular "shiit" or "damn it"). We still knew that it was inappropriate to cuss in certain places/situations. I'm not a potty mouth at all, but DH is going to have to learn to be careful while DD is learning to talk. I'd rather her not embarrass us in public by repeating him.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageseashell82:
    not intentionally but if he says shiit or something in his teen years i'm not gonna flip my lid.

This. 

• imagePoetSorrow:

My mom was very strict with forbidding it as I grew up.. now I have a bad mouth lol.

I didn't want the same thing to happen with my kids. So my rule is: Once they are 13 and officially a teenager, they can say what they want with their friends. As long as I personally do not hear it, and it's not spoken at school or at future jobs. A time and place for everything. So far it's worked out really well with my teenager. 

I like this idea.

One of my friends parents let them pick one cuss word they could say each year, starting at 14.  So, at 14yo they could say $hit, as appropriate (at home), at 15yo it was $hit and damn, at 16, $hit damn, and biatch.  Never Fvck.

It worked pretty well.  We'll see how it goes for us.  DH and I both have potty mouths, and do little to curb it.

imageimageimageimageimageimage Beckett*Gizmo*Charlie*Little Kitty*Hudson*Chiggy <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="D
  • I will not allow it in our home, and not in my hearing (like at friends' houses, parties, etc) but I'm not naive enough to think DS won't swear at school. We were never allowed to swear at home, but I used to cuss up a storm in high school. Oh well, there are worse things!
  • My mom never cursed in front of us but my dad did all.the.time. We knew not to though so I guess it was never an issue but I will say that I have a pretty bad mouth now that I am older which I will have to work on before DD repeats me some day. DH never curses in front of his parents which I think it nice so hopefully we will teach our kids to follow in his footsteps. Time and place for everything like pp said. I'm sure my kids will as teenagers and adults, as long as they don't curse at me or else I will have to put them in their place : )
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • sam19sam19 member

No but if she does say a swear word, I'm not going to freak out about it. I also won't laugh. I'll probably just say something like "We don't use that word" and let that be the end of it.

Honestly though, I think we give too much power to words. What is that the difference between your child saying "that fvcking hurt" and "that freaking hurt"? They are saying the exact same thing. Just like if Natalie says to me "shut up" or "shut the hell up" she's getting punished either way.  If I didn't think people would give me major side eye then I probably wouldn't have a problem with Natalie saying a swear word here and there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • C.MoC.Mo member

It will be fine when she's old enough (teenager) and only says it in a "proper" context (if there is such a thing lol).

I was allowed to curse in front of my mom only. I was a very respectful kid and still am now. I know the right place and time to use them.

I don't get the big deal. Forbidding it is just going to add to the appeal. The kids that weren't allowed to speak their minds were the ones that ended up having the worst mouths.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My siblings and I weren't allowed to cuss either. My parents never cussed around us and we sure got smack talked to us if we did it around them. My older kids aren't allowed to say bad words. So No, my LO won't be allowed to swear around us or any adults for that matter.
  • When he is older (as in 16-17) I won't mind if he cusses as long as it's not a ton and isn't towards anyone.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagealybookgirl:
    Never

This. My H and I don't swear either.

J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
  • Nope, he will not be allowed to talk like that in front of his mom. He might with his friends, but not with me, that's for sure.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"