Babies: 0 - 3 Months

does dreamfeeding work?

Does it work for you?

I read conflicting reports.  some say it works, others say it intereferes with baby's REM sleep and makes matters worse.

What is your experience?

thanks

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: does dreamfeeding work?

• It did not work for us
  • The past couple of nights, I've dreamfed at 11 or 11:30 and she's slept for at least 5 hours (an improvement for us).

• Loading the player...
  • It didn't work for us. I think she was up even sooner.  I have a feeling you'll have to try it to find out if it works for you because I do know that some people have success with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, LO fell asleep, choaked, gagged, started coughing and puked on our bed...Big fail for us, not to mention we had to change the bedding at 2 in the morning. I haven't tried it since (she was 6 weeks BF). We had to switch to formula and I don't dare dream feed using a bottle.

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

• Worked like a charm for our older son.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have to because DD wont wake up at night to eat and I can't let her go that long without eating.
  • It workes well for my LO. He usually goes to sleep around 9 and I change him/feed hm around 10-10:30. It helped eliminate one of the night time feedings. I've not had any trouble with him spitting up and he sleeps just fine once he is finished eating.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • dream feeding works great for us -- DD is usually down around 8:30, i dream feed around 10:30 or 11:00 and she sleeps until 4 or 5. before dream feeding, we were up every 2-3 hours. i'd recommend trying it for sure.
  • It has worked like a charm for DS.  Our DS is breastfed so my DH did the dream feed with a bottle.  It was a special time for them and I got to get some sleep.  We started at around 6 weeks between 10:30 and 11 pm.  We never went past 11 pm and he would sleep 5 or 6 hours.  As he got older he would sleep longer and longer.  He's now 8 months.  Over the last two months we've been progressively making the dream feed earlier to merge it with his bedtime routine. Some nights he doesn't wake at all.  Some nights he'll wake up during the feed but fall back to sleep immediately after finishing.  He dream feeds at 9 pm now and goes until 7 am.

You'll have to give it a try to see if it works.  We had to try it for about a week to get the hang of it.

• Worked for us too. DD sleeps around 7:30-8 PM and I feed her around 10:30-11PM. She sleeps all the way till 5-6AM with just one feeding around 3AM.
  • What the heck is dreamfeeding? 
  • imagembecker70:
    What the heck is dreamfeeding? 

This! :)  I've never heard of it...is it just picking up your baby while they're asleep and starting to feed them without waking?

• Started the dream feed when he was about four weeks old and he started sleeping through the night after the forth night. He is three months old now and goes to bed at 8:30 and we dreamfeed at 10:30. He sleeps  through the entire thing and does not wake up until 7 and sometimes 8 the next morning. The dreamfeed was a savior for us but I know that there are many different factors going into the success of the dreamfeed.

I would recommend giving it a shot for at least a week and seeing how your baby adjusts to it.  

• It did for us. Although, we didn't start dream feeding until around 4 or 5 months when we started putting a real night time routine into place. We did dream feeding for at least 6 months and it was great, and allowed me to sleep through the night, which was even better!  I would feed her as I put her to bed around 7pm and then dream feed before I went to bed, around 10:30pm. I was really skeptical at first, but it worked great for us!
  • It works for us too! We feed our DD around 8pm and put her to bed. We feed her again at midnight before we go to bed, and she sleeps til about 7. It doesn't seem to interfere with her sleep at all, usually she doesn't even wake up and if she does she goes right back down. She's been sleeping through the night since she was about 2mos!
  • We started our first dreamfeed last night, at 10 p.m., but DD still woke up for her regular 3 a.m. feeding (although it's now 7:30 a.m. and she's still sleeping and usually she would be up by now).

I've heard you have to give it a week to really see results so we're going to stick with it.  My goal is to eliminate the 3 a.m. feed and have DH do the dreamfeed with a bottle so that I get a nice break from BF everyday.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • imageCathie111:

imagembecker70:
    What the heck is dreamfeeding? 

This! :)  I've never heard of it...is it just picking up your baby while they're asleep and starting to feed them without waking?

Ha, my thoughts exactly.
  • What is dreamfeeding??? Doesn't sound healthy or promising to me...
  • Actually, dreamfeeding is just that. You feed your LO while they're asleep. As for actually doing it, I would give it a try. I started that when my DD was 2 weeks old and she slept through the night from the third day on. I know of some babies choking, etc. but I wouldn't get too discouraged. Just wait 'til they're a li'l bigger to try it again.
  • I get what everyone is saying about dream feeding and getting your baby to sleep through the night. BUT what about the excess milk that is left in their mouth when they are half asleep? Do you know that excess milk in your baby's mouth can cause decay? The bacteria in their mouth breaks down the sugars in the formula and breast milk into acids that dissolve enamel. This of course deals with babies WITH teeth. But I still don't think dream feeding is the way to go.
  • imageJefisher:
    I get what everyone is saying about dream feeding and getting your baby to sleep through the night. BUT what about the excess milk that is left in their mouth when they are half asleep? Do you know that excess milk in your baby's mouth can cause decay? The bacteria in their mouth breaks down the sugars in the formula and breast milk into acids that dissolve enamel. This of course deals with babies WITH teeth. But I still don't think dream feeding is the way to go.

Haha, I see your point, but just wait until you're getting up every two hours to feed that precious baby!  You'll do anything to get some sleep!  I dreamfeed and it still only gets me to 2:30 or so (BTW, she STTN from 6-12 weeks and now wakes up anywhere from 1-4 times a night).  You do start to wean them from dreamfeeding hopefully by the time they have teeth, but you aren't exactly cleaning their gums after every feeding, so it's really not that different.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"