Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Fellow teachers....I need advice

So I've been wondering about this....how are you planning on pumping when you go back to work.  I know with my schedule and the kind of school I'm at, I don't always have even a 10 minute break from my students and I don't always want to be spending my lunch break pumping in the bathroom.  Anyone else thought about how you're going to work and pump at the same time?  Is it possible to not pump during the day and then just pump while at home?  I don't think I'd be able to pump enough to feed DS with exclusively BM this way, but wouldn't you think that formula with BM when possible would be better than just formula only?  I wonder if my supply would dry up too fast then too. Ah, sometimes I wish I had a normal job where I could just pump in a closet and then go back to a desk.

Re: Fellow teachers....I need advice

• I was back at work the month of May.  I pumped in my classroom with the door locked, blinds clothes, and the window on the door covered with construction paper.  I pumped while the kids were at gym (my planning time) and during my lunch time.  If I couldn't leave right after school, I also pumped after school.  I have a double pump and pumped both sides each time.  I was able to pump enough for LO to eat.  I either nursed or pumped if LO wasn't wake before I left.  I pumped 2-3 times at school.  I nursed twice when I got home.  I did not pump on the weekends.  I had no supply issues, but I did have some major leaking issues the first two weeks back. 
  • I'm worried about this, too. We don't get our schedule until our first in-service day in August. I would have liked to have gotten myself into a routine instead of just suddenly having to go around with engorged, leaking boobs until I can get a break. Can you do a couple 5 min sessions? Stock up over the summer? Get a group of new moms together and set up a coverage schedule? I agree that supplementing is better than just formula, but if you don't pump all day, yes, your supply will take a beating I'm pretty sure. GL
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • Loading the player...
  • It's just not possible for me to pump at work. All our classrooms have windows in the doors and are connected to another room so there is no way to really keep them locked. So I would have to find some other room, which would probably end up being a bathroom. My lunch is way too short and my planning period isn't until 1 o'clock. Anyway, I'm not going to pump. I am planning on BF in the morning and at night before he goes to bed, and pumping afterward. I have stored up 200 oz and should have 300 by the time school starts. Once my stored milk runs out I will do formula in just the day. Hopefully my supply will keep up for awhile.

• imageg8trkim:
    It's just not possible for me to pump at work. All our classrooms have windows in the doors and are connected to another room so there is no way to really keep them locked. So I would have to find some other room, which would probably end up being a bathroom. My lunch is way too short and my planning period isn't until 1 o'clock. Anyway, I'm not going to pump. I am planning on BF in the morning and at night before he goes to bed, and pumping afterward. I have stored up 200 oz and should have 300 by the time school starts. Once my stored milk runs out I will do formula in just the day. Hopefully my supply will keep up for awhile.

This is my plan as well, however I haven't started stocking up yet....I'm starting this coming week.  I'm really hoping this works out for me because my DS will be 3.5 months when I go back to work and I really want to BF til 6 months. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i have a double pump and i also have 2 planning periods since i'm dept chair. i'm hoping between those and lunch i can get it done. but we'll see!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"