Baby Names

Twilight name dilemma

With my first child, I had lists of potential boy names and girl names and on my girl name list was the name Esme.  We ended up having a boy so it was never put to use.  This was all before I had even heard of Twilight and before it became popular.  Now I'm pregnant with #2 and we are not finding out the gender ahead of time.  I'm revisiting my lists from last time and I still really love the name Esme and want to put it on the "finals" list for serious contention for if it's a girl, but now I think many people will think I picked up the name from the Twilight series, which I didn't.  I do like the Twilight books, but would never name one of my kids after a passing fad/celebrity character.  Should I still put it on my list since I love the name even though many might think Twilight is the inspiration for the name pick?

Re: Twilight name dilemma

• Bella I automatically associate w/ Twilight.  not so much Esme. 

But while I've seen the first 2 movies, I'm not obsessed w/ the movie/story (actually, quite the opposite!  I don't get all the fanfare at ALL.  But that's another post!)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I think it's a cool name. Minneapolis has a news anchor named Esme, so I always think of her when I hear it. I think as long as it's not Renesmee, you're fine and after a few years everyone will forget about Twilight anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • In 5 or 10 years, no one is even going to think about Twilight, let alone whether or not that was where you got your child's name from. 

Use it.  It's a very nice name.

• So what if people think you got it from Twilight.  It's okay to like a name that you hear in a movie or read in a book.  I wouldn't automatically think that person is obsessed with that movie/book/show.  Take Emma for example.  It exploded in popularity because of Friends.  If people ask you, you can just tell them you liked it way before Twilight came out and leave it at that.  I think its a beautiful name.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I personally have not read the Twilight books or seen any of the movies, but I don't live under a rock & I've heard the character names Jacob, Edward & Bella thrown around a lot, never Esme. Besides, the Twilight fad will end soon enough & there will be something else. I don't think I would worry about the association too much. If you love the name, keep it as a contender!
  • I agree with everyone else.  Esme isn't a main character in the book, so only fans are going to recognize it.  It won't even faze the vast majority of people. 

And LOL about the Renesmee comment.  Worst name ever. 

IAmPregnant Ticker imageimage
  • Personally, I wouldn't even consider it . . . but I hate all things Twilight with a pretty consuming passion after attempting to read the drivel that was the fourth book. On a more rational note, I'm torn about the name:

On the one hand, I think more than enough people have read the books for you and your daughter to encounter, with alarming regularity, "Esme? Like in Twilight? How cute." And that would automatically make me hate the name. If it matters to you, you would also have to repeatedly explain/argue that you chose the name long before it was featured in Twilight and still probably will not be believed.

On the other hand, the Twilight thing is almost over. Third movie is on its way out. Books are done. Within a few years, Twilight will be a has-been cultural phenomenon; few, except the rabid fans, would dare to claim it has the staying power of Harry Potter. Hopefully, the fog will left and everyone will realize Stephenie Meyer can't write after all and the world will be a better place for it. And few, if any, will comment on your baby's name.

I'm no help: ) My hatred is eating at me. I'm going to sign off and read something real now.

• imageMelCfromMN:
    I think it's a cool name. Minneapolis has a news anchor named Esme, so I always think of her when I hear it. I think as long as it's not Renesmee, you're fine and after a few years everyone will forget about Twilight anyway.
    This. Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't associate the name with the book, but it reminds me of "it's me."

But I am obsessed with finding a name that my child will not be made fun of. If you like it, that's great. But consider it from all sides before you choose to go that route.

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• ames71ames71 member
    I think of the J.D. Salinger story when I hear Esme, not Twilight. It's a lovely name.

• Personally, I say who cares about the series.  If you like the name, who cares where you got it.  I've had Jacob and Isabella picked out way before the books were even written.

BTW, my mom named me Erin.  She got the name from the Waltons.

• Don't let a book series ruin something like a name for you. Two of the most popular names right now are Bella (Isabella) and Jacob and not because of Twilight, it's just a coincidence. However, parents all across the US are now answering the same question, "Awww, did you name her after Bella Swan?" or "Oh, are you Team Jacob?"

Why would anyone assume that any child is named after a teen fiction book? But, people do...

But you shouldn't let a book series effect your choices, unless it's Renesmee. But that's another story...

White Knot
  • I am having the same problem. I love the name Aroet for a boy and come to find out there is some Twilight character named Aro, which is undoubtedly what we would call him the majority of the time. I say as long as you love the name then you shouldn't care. Twilight will not be around forever....

p.s. I really like the name Esme... very unique.   

• I like the name esme alot.
  • Who cares what people think, name your child what you wish.
  • imageBelleBaby:

In 5 or 10 years, no one is even going to think about Twilight, let alone whether or not that was where you got your child's name from. 

• stay far far away from Renesme...

bella was on my list...but she ruined it for me

esme is fine. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageBelleBaby:

In 5 or 10 years, no one is even going to think about Twilight, let alone whether or not that was where you got your child's name from. 

TOTALLY disagree with this!

I think the kids who love Twilight now will always remember it, like we remember *N'Sync (or Backstreet Boys), or whatever thing was popular in the time period y'all grew up in. 

I think a lot of people will assume that you got the name from the books/movies, but I don't know why you are asking US this question. This is something only YOU can answer: Can YOU get past the Twilight references or not?

• imageames17:
    I think of the J.D. Salinger story when I hear Esme, not Twilight. It's a lovely name.

This is what I think of too. I'd go ahead and use it.

That said, I do understand the concern. Edward was on our list of potential boy names, and we were pretty concerned about Twilight as well. However, I'd look at somebody like they were on crack if they asked if it was after Twilight, because it's not like it's an original name. 

I haven't read more than a few pages of Twilight, and was pretty annoyed by the purple prose. 

imageimage

• I've watched both movies and still have no clue who Esme is. I say go with it.
  • imageErin Hurley:

Personally, I say who cares about the series.  If you like the name, who cares where you got it.  I've had Jacob and Isabella picked out way before the books were even written.

BTW, my mom named me Erin.  She got the name from the Waltons.

One of my best friends is named Erin after The Waltons character, too!  Awesome!

And I think pretty much all the names I like stem from pop culture references, but whaddaya gonna do?

IAmPregnant Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"