Toddlers: 24 Months+

Does your toddler drink pop?

I'm not a pop nazi or anything, my DD can and has had pop.  What I have a problem with is ordering a 2 year old her very own pop to drink when we go out.  And we rarely drink pop at home.

The other day we went to McDonald's with my mom, and I ordered DD a happy meal with a milk to drink.  My mom was all annoyed, saying "why don't you just order her her own pop?  You know that's what she wants!"  I said she can have sips of mine if she really wants...  Just rubbed me the wrong way.

Part of this stems from my SIL, who has 3 boys, the youngest being the same age as my DD, orders her boys pop to drink when they go out.  So since she gets them pop, my mom thinks I should get DD pop too.  Just like when her youngest moved to a bed at 18 months, I should have moved DD to a big bed too (I just moved her last week). 

Maybe by #3 I'll be more easy going about these things...  But I'm far from uptight as it is!  Arg.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Does your toddler drink pop?

• I guess I'm a pop nazi.

Lily hasn't had any, ever. I kind of figure, "If she doesn't know what it is and doesn't ask for it, why enter it into the equation?" I know someday she will see her friends having soda and she will ask for it, then fine. But for now, why give her all that crap? It's just not for me.

But then again, I've never given her ice cream for the same reason. I'm not against it (my parents have given her some), I just don't see the point in giving her ice cream when frozen apple juice makes her happy, KWIM?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No soda drinking in my house either.  I also still dilute DS's juice a lot and limit his juice intake.  I grew up having soda as a Friday night treat with pizza or popcorn so I am not one that drinks it often anyway.  A couple cans a week at most. 

I just don't see the point of giving it to a 2.5 year old that is happy with his apple flavored water.  He gets snacks and can have soda when he is older.

• Loading the player...
  • nope.  i almost ripped my SIL's head off for giving him some on his bday.  no thank you.
  • No and to be honest we have moved away from having soda's in the house for even us.   I know a couple of mom's that give their toddlers soda's and I can't figure out why you would give a toddler a drink full of sugar
  • No, my boys have never had it, and I don't plan on allowing them to have it anytime soon. As pp mentioned, they are perfectly happy and content with the occasional diluted apple juice, so I have no plans to add sugary drinks into their diet that they don't even know they're missing.

DH and I drink it though. Hmm yeah, I guess we'll have to do something about that soon. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Nope.  We've actually never even given him juice.  I think he gets juice at daycare on occasion and I'm fine with that.  I just figure if  he's happy with water and milk, why rock the boat?  There will be plenty of time for pop, juice etc. down the road.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My name is Francisca and I am a Pop Nazi!  Why would you give your toddler a bunch of empty useless calories for no reason whatsoever?  At this age that seems INSANE!  When my kids are school aged yeah as an occasional treat I'll be fine w/it.  I have soda as an occasional treat and when they are old enough to understand that I'll be cool w/it but at this age it would only encourage bad behavior later.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • ds has had a few sips way back when, but i never order him his own. i still water down all of his juices that he gets

my dad gets mad when i tell him that i don't want ds drinking crystal lite type drinks or pop; that he's fine with juice/water/milk....also about cookies/junk food my dad thinks it's alright for ds to have, and i don't want him to have it

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

In my bag
    d90
    50mm f/1.2 * 28-85mm (Macro) f/3.5-4.5 * 70-300mm f/3.5-4.5
    Opteka Fisheye Adapter * Lightscoop
  • DD has never had any. I snapped at my mom once when she was going to share her Sprite with her and I'm pretty sure she thought I was being psychotic. Honestly, DD doesn't even have juice right now. She got a Capri Sun with a meal one time and we looked at the ingredients and gave her water instead. We struggle enough to get milk in her. I'm not that uptight about food in general. DD definitely has her share of desserts. I just don't even want to get started on pop. We will eventually let her have it. Maybe next year. I don't plan to keep her from it forever, I just don't see any reason to introduce it right now.

Photo by Melissa Nicole Photography

imageimage
  • No soda for DD in this house or outside of it. I call them adult beverages and they are not allowed for kids.
  • Well I'll happily say that I AM a pop nazi.  My kids will not have pop for as long as I can keep them from having it, and they certainly will not be allowed to have it with me until they are much older.  I'd like to keep it from them until they are in junior high even though I know that that is unrealistic (outside of my house...say at friends bday parties). 

At home they will be allowed milk, water, lemonade and juice.  Although currently, my DD does not get juice and I don't plan on giving it to her in the near future.

• my child has never had soda.  i guess i have a double standard because i drink a diet coke every day during their naptime, but i hope to hold them off of soda as long as possible.
    Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I am a soda nazi!  DD drinks water and milk.  When we are out she can have juice which I usually water down or share a fresh fruit smoothie with me.  I just see nothing redeeming in soda and I only drink it occasionally, in fact we only have it in the house for guests.  I do mix sparkling water with juice for myself but DD isn't into the sparkling water which is all the better.  Ice cream is something else.  I let DD have a vanilla ice cream or an ice pop from time to time if we are out.
  • LinnyaLinnya member

Absolutely not.  DS drinks milk and water and sometimes watered-down juice.  I am not a pop drinker at all, and neither is DH, so we don't have it in the house.  Also, I do not order it when we are out.  And we won't have it in the house because out kids "want" it later on.  When they are much older I am fine with it in moderation, though.

I feel like yoru MIL is saying what your kid really wants is sugar, so why not go ahead and give her a bowl of it, you know?  Her "argument' is ridiculous. 

• No soda for DD here.  My ILs tried to give her soda since they give it to  my nephew who is 4 months younger than DD and I flipped on them.  DD won't be having soda for as long as I can help it.   DH and I drink too much of it as it is.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • DD drinks milk and water, that's it. I would never give her soda at this age! We don't do juice either. I figure if she's happy with milk and water, why rock the boat? It's better for her and it eliminates the begging for something sweet to drink.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Milk and water for Kate. Empty useless calories that rot teeth and cause obesity. Why in the world would I give that to  my kid?   Don't get me started on diet soda - holy hell.  
    Occasionally as a dessert treat I'll make fruit smoothies with milk, ice and whatever fruit we have on hand.   
    FWIW - I haven't had soda in 6 years and DH has maybe 1 soda a month if that. 
    Soda for kids is my absolute hot button.  Everyone in my family knows it.  Juice is a close second but I'm less "judgy" about it.

• I will not be letting DD have soda for a long time. She rarely even gets juice. I figure if she's happy with water & milk, I'll keep her drinking it as long as I can! Plus, I think I am seriously addicted to soda. I have one nearly every day & on the day's I don't I am craving one. My Mom saiid she gave it to me as a young toddler, not every day, but if we were having pizza or something she said I got a Pepsi in my bottle. Yep, in a bottle!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageLaroogirl:

No soda drinking in my house either.  I also still dilute DS's juice a lot and limit his juice intake.  I grew up having soda as a Friday night treat with pizza or popcorn so I am not one that drinks it often anyway.  A couple cans a week at most. 

I just don't see the point of giving it to a 2.5 year old that is happy with his apple flavored water.  He gets snacks and can have soda when he is older.

This exactly!  

Addison Elizabeth
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Carter James
  • imageLaroogirl:

No soda drinking in my house either.  I also still dilute DS's juice a lot and limit his juice intake.  I grew up having soda as a Friday night treat with pizza or popcorn so I am not one that drinks it often anyway.  A couple cans a week at most. 

This exactly!  

Addison Elizabeth
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Carter James
  • He has had had sips of it now and then but hasn't ever had one of his own.  A 2 year old doesn't need it.
  • la79alla79al member
    DD drinks watered down soda but she doesn't get her own when we go out.  She usually has a sippy of water or I will order her a water.  Worse case scenerio, she will share my soda. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Only when DH gives him a sip.  Drives me nuts.  DH thinks it's part of growing up for him to have pop/juice/pudding/insert sugary treat here.  It's something we disagree on constantly. I don't tend to let DS have anything that's bad for him because I'd like him to develop good habits... sigh
    DS 06.26.08 DD 10.23.10
    imageimage
  • No, she doesn't. Although I did catch her the other day sipping on the straw to the soda I had in the front seat, while I was buckling DD2 into her car seat (DD1 likes to climb into the front seat and pretend she's driving). So I guess she's had her first taste.

I don't really consider much "off-limits" for DD1, so if DH or I are having ice cream, cake, cookies or other treats, she's allowed to share with us and have a little bit. But candy is rare (except the occasional M&M or gummy bear) and we've never given her soda.

A juice box is a treat for her, frankly, because she gets water like 95% of the time. Soda just isn't something I want to start with at this age. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • my friend gives her DD coke (I can't say pop...I'm from the South) and I can't imagine.  A coke gives me a high...>i don't want my DS on a caffeine rush.  

I might give him sprite when he turns 4 or 5 but nothing with caffeine.  He has had a few sips of tea, but not much.  DS gets juice, milk, or water. 

• I've given DD a sip of my diet coke here & there. If we are out I order her water if anything. I usually bring her sippy with water in it though. If it's fast food I get her a juice. I water her juice down at home though. I would never order or give her her own soda to drink though.

I'm not a big soda drinker myself. If I do have soda it's diet. I mainly drink water. I didn't even want to give DD juice but DH insisted so I said, fine but it's 1/2 juice 1/2 water. She also gets milk in her sippy.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • um, no.  I can't even imagine offering soda to my DS.  he gets juice occasionally and i only buy 100% juice products.
  • nope never. he gets water, milk, and apple juice every few weeks.
  • Noooooo freaking way.  My kid doesn't get soda EVER and won't for a good, long time.  The closest thing he's had to soda is sparkling water flavored with lemon or lime which is a far cry from soda.. he thinks it's the greatest thing ever! (I'm a seltzer junkie so that's why!)
  • nope no soda here either, not even a taste. She drinks a TON of milk, she prefers that to anything so its milk at every meal and water with most snacks.  She can have up to one toddler size juice box of 100% juice a day, if we are home I usually but it in her straw cup and fill it the rest of the way with water but if we are out she will drink it straight.  If we are at a restaurant or even drive through she still will get milk.  She orders white milk now because the order taker is usually so shocked she is drinking milk she has to specifiy that I don't need to put chocolate in it make her drink it.  we tease that she is our little calf.

we drink soda at home (DH & I) but I have no issue with saying its ok for us to drink it and not for her.

• Never. DH and I don't drink it, and there's now way we'll allow DS to rot his teeth out by drinking it, either.
  • Total Pop Nazi here! I would go totally ape on anyone who tried to give my kid pop. He just turned two, drinks water, milk and has a cup of juice 3-4 days a week. He still only drinks baby pear juice! LOL I stopped watering it down because it's more effective at full strength. (constipation issues) He gets sweets occasionally but I see no point in him having anything other than what he drinks. I don't offer koolaid or anything like that either!
  • We drink coke but DD is not allowed. She does not even ask. When we go out to eat she will order water.
  • KGskyKGsky member
    DD has tasted soda (sorry, I'm from the South, too LOL), but never gets her own.  I guess we're more relaxed about it, since a) she's nowhere near overweight, b) her teeth are in good shape, and c) neither one of us has ever really had real weight or dental issues.  I do know that if we didn't drink it, she wouldn't even ask for it, and lord knows, I don't need to be drinking it. She only wants it when she sees us with it, though, which is not very often.
  • I'm not a fan of giving pop/soda to toddlers...I really see no point, it has zero nutritional value. DD has had a sip here and there thanks to relatives giving it to her, which I don't flip out about, but we do not give it to her at home, order it for her when we go out...we either bring something for her or order milk or water for her (sometimes juice if they have it).

Throwing leaves <3
  • DD has not had pop...and will not for a very long time if I can help it. She doesn't even get juice.  Just water or soymilk.  I just don't understand why parents choose to give their kids so much freakin' sugar/empty calories.  All it takes is just a little of that crap to set up bad habits & ruin teeth & health.
  • I'm a pop nazi too!  My daughter has never had a taste.  I don't drink pop and the only time it's in our house is when we have a party.  I was told to stop drinking caffine when I was 18.  I have a lot of fibroids in my breasts and caffine is a cause of these, as are many other things.  Anyway, that reason alone is why my daugher will never have pop! 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• DS1 ( certainly not DS2) doesn't get soda.  My mom tried to give him some when he was 9 months old.  Ummm. NO, mom he's not getting soda at 9 months!  I rarely drink it even when going out to eat so why start it.  He's perfectly content with milk & h2o.  I'm not sure when we'll let him have some.  I'm in no rush:)
  • No, never.  DH and I do drink Coke, but DS knows it's not for him.  He has no interest in drinking it either.  He realizes it's for adults, like coffee or tea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"