2nd Trimester

Glucose test and I feel awful

So I had my one hour glucose test this morning... almost towards the end of the hour, I started feeling extremely sick, but was able to keep everything down. I took a two hour nap, and felt better after waking up. I ate some rice, beef stroganoff, and ice cream and now feel very shaky. Anyone else experience this?

Re: Glucose test and I feel awful

• MrsSRMrsSR member

Lurking from 3rd tri

Yes, I felt pretty sick/tired after my glucose test.  I didn't think the drink was bad, but it was sweet and didn't agree with my empty belly.

• Eat some protein...you just loaded up on carbs (rice and ice cream) right after drinking a bunch of sugar.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemadhatter2003:
    Eat some protein...you just loaded up on carbs (rice and ice cream) right after drinking a bunch of sugar.

Would the beef not counteract that? I won't lie - I'm horrible about food chemistry.

• I agree with pp. Eat some more protein-egg, cheese, lean meat.

And I doubt there is enough beef in the stroganoff to counter act all the noodles, sauce and ice cream.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I just did my 3-hour today.  It was awful!!!!!!!!!!!  Here is what I posted on the Nov. Moms board a little while ago:

"this morning I went for my 3-hour glucose test... which is horrible!  Especially because I am still having/morning/day/night sickness and the glucose test makes you feel nautious.  After I make it through that I am told to make sure to go get a good lunch (because it is now noon and I have been fasting since last night). 

I am alone and on my way into work and stop at a great mexican restaurant.  I enjoy my chips & salsa.  I am on my second fajita (which tasted fanatstic) and as I am chewing one of the last bites, I get "that feeling"...  I don't even have time to think about which way the restroom is... I begin to vomit all over my plate.  The very nice waiter sees me & comes over to my aide.  He grabs a pile of napkins & begins to cover my mess but I just keep going.  It was quiet vomitting, but seemed ceaseless... I threw up my entire lunch right there on the table... in the middle of the restaurant. 

can anyone top that?  or even come close and make me feel like I am not the only pregnant woman who is a complete trainwreck."

• imageLisaJ_MOH:

I just did my 3-hour today.  It was awful!!!!!!!!!!!  Here is what I posted on the Nov. Moms board a little while ago:

"this morning I went for my 3-hour glucose test... which is horrible!  Especially because I am still having/morning/day/night sickness and the glucose test makes you feel nautious.  After I make it through that I am told to make sure to go get a good lunch (because it is now noon and I have been fasting since last night). 

I am alone and on my way into work and stop at a great mexican restaurant.  I enjoy my chips & salsa.  I am on my second fajita (which tasted fanatstic) and as I am chewing one of the last bites, I get "that feeling"...  I don't even have time to think about which way the restroom is... I begin to vomit all over my plate.  The very nice waiter sees me & comes over to my aide.  He grabs a pile of napkins & begins to cover my mess but I just keep going.  It was quiet vomitting, but seemed ceaseless... I threw up my entire lunch right there on the table... in the middle of the restaurant. 

can anyone top that?  or even come close and make me feel like I am not the only pregnant woman who is a complete trainwreck."

I sure cannot top that, I just feel nauseated pretty badly still. This was almost four hours ago I took the test.

• imageLisaJ_MOH:

I just did my 3-hour today.  It was awful!!!!!!!!!!!  Here is what I posted on the Nov. Moms board a little while ago:

Oh, you poor thing!  But why were you having the 3 hour at 16 weeks?

• you will start to feel better soon.  The other posters are right, eat some protein (meat, eggs, cheese, nuts) and just give it some time.  And if you have the opportunity another nap might not hurt.
  • you will start to feel better soon.  The other posters are right, eat some protein (meat, eggs, cheese, nuts) and just give it some time.  And if you have the opportunity another nap might not hurt.

The worst thing about my day is that I think I passed the 3-hr.  Which sounds like good news, but because I had GD with my last pregnancy they tested me early.  I will have to retest each month to be sure that I haven't developed GD (which the expect me to because mine was so bad last time).

• imagemadhatter2003:
    Eat some protein...you just loaded up on carbs (rice and ice cream) right after drinking a bunch of sugar.

Yup carbs = sugar

• I had GD with my last pregnancy (pretty bad - I ended up being insulin dependent) and so they test me early.  I failed the 1-hr last week so now they sent me for the 3-hour.  They say it is pretty much inevitable that I will have GD again so they try to catch it early.
  • imageLisaJ_MOH:
    I had GD with my last pregnancy (pretty bad - I ended up being insulin dependent) and so they test me early.  I failed the 1-hr last week so now they sent me for the 3-hour.  They say it is pretty much inevitable that I will have GD again so they try to catch it early.

Oh that is awful.  I hope you get positive results every month.

• imageLisaJ_MOH:
    I had GD with my last pregnancy (pretty bad - I ended up being insulin dependent) and so they test me early.  I failed the 1-hr last week so now they sent me for the 3-hour.  They say it is pretty much inevitable that I will have GD again so they try to catch it early.

I was the same with DS, they just let me monitor my blood sugars and then only sent me for the 3 hour when that got bad enough. Could you do that rather than taking the test every month?  Surely it would be easier physically than what you went through!

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"