3rd Trimester

a facebook page for a toddler?!

Not even kidding.. I've seen 2 this past weekend. The first one I saw was for a 4 year old, and this one I just stumbled upon was my friend's niece who turned ONE today. Clearly its their parents running the page, but why don't you just upload pics of your kid on your own page? Sorry if any of you momma's already do this, I was just surprised by it.
Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
            07.30.10          08.17.12           

Re: a facebook page for a toddler?!

• There is NO way I will be doing this. It is ridiculous. I won't let my daughter on Facebook until she is MUCH older and knows about internet saftey.

Only I will upload pictures of LO on FB.. and they will stay on my PRIVATE page. Sorry But I agree how ridiculous!

4-7-11 - Natural MC @ 4w5d 6-27-11- MC @ 5w6dPgAL/PAL WelcomeDD#1- 8/20/2010DD#2- 6/21/2012EDD #3~ 5/1/2014 ~ Team Green
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I don't think a FB page is entirely necessary for a child. My ex opened a FB page for our daughter when she was 11, I darn near had a $hit fit, and the topper was he blocked me from seeing it for almost a year....what a stand up guy Ick!....I personally don't get it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know someone who made one for their dog.  I think it's strange.
  • imagejoeandmarsha:
    I don't think a FB page is entirely necessary for a child. My ex opened a FB page for our daughter when she was 11, I darn near had a $hit fit, and the topper was he blocked me from seeing it for almost a year....what a stand up guy Ick!....I personally don't get it.

What a sh**. :( Sorry.

I agree that a fb page for a lo is a little over-the-top. But to each his/her own.

• I've seen a couple of my FB friends do this too. I didn't go to the kids' pages but it seemed like it was more of a "fan page" type thing? IDK, I still wouldn't do it though.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I saw on one of those "making fun of FB" websites..either failbooking or lamebook, that someone had made a page for their UNBORN child...with the profile pic as the u/s image. Totally nuts.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagePreggoNess:

imagejoeandmarsha:
    I don't think a FB page is entirely necessary for a child. My ex opened a FB page for our daughter when she was 11, I darn near had a $hit fit, and the topper was he blocked me from seeing it for almost a year....what a stand up guy Ick!....I personally don't get it.

What a sh**. :( Sorry.

I agree that a fb page for a lo is a little over-the-top. But to each his/her own.

Oh trust me my opinion is WAY worse...lol

• I know people who do this. I will not.

I do have a page for DS under Circle of Moms. It is an app run through facebook and only people I invited can see DS's page. I put his milestones and things like that in there, so MIL can look at it whenever she wants, and that way my facebook page is all mine. lol. (My ILs can't see my updates, just stuff of DS. Yay! lol.)

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Completely unnecessary IMO. I am hesitant to even put up pictures of LO once he's born. I would rather email them to family and friends that live far away.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I hve one for DD, but its only as a Farmville friend for my mom... lol.  There are no pictures though, and its never updated or logged into.  I dont understand the ones people make to post all their kids photos on.  I dont personally friend peoples kid pages.
    My "Irish twins" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

pPROM at 27 weeks, Birdy born at 28 weeks at 2lb 7oz.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageRitaT22:
    Completely unnecessary IMO. I am hesitant to even put up pictures of LO once he's born. I would rather email them to family and friends that live far away.

Thats how I feel, too. I never put up any u/s pics or anything, and there is one picture of me pregnant thats like "hey look at me and my baby bump" and its from my shower. I had a secret/private group for distant relatives to update them on the pregnancy so I wasn't sharing everything with all of fb world. 

Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
                07.30.10          08.17.12           
  • imagejoeandmarsha:

Argh, my stepson's mother did this for him and he is 7 then blocked my DH from his page.  We are currently in court trying to get custody (she failed to enroll my SS in kindergarten so he started 1st grade behind and is still behind at the finish of 1st grade.  She has also lived with her parents for the last 7 years and been unemployed the ENTIRE time) and my DH had to bring the FB thing up in COURT.  It is ridiculous. 

Do you really want some stranger looking at pictures of your child on FB?  I know there are privacy settings, but you think pedofiles don't spend time hacking kids FB pages?

Creeps me out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • I don't think it is right to open things like that in a child's name. JMO though. My cousin's little girl has one, she is 7....there are so many things that can go wrong with this. I just imagine pedophiles and other horrible things.
  • MrsSRMrsSR member

Do they play FB games like Mafia Wars?

My dorky husband has his own page and a "fake" page so he can have two Mafia Wars characters.

• People just don't know when enough is enough.  One of my friend's just sent me a friend request for her daughter who is 7 months old.  It's just weird!  I thought you had to be a certain age to get a FB account anyways, they should really start deleting those for young children, etc. 
    DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Just had to add, I miss the days of when you needed a college email to open up a facebook account. It is starting to get out of control.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageIvana.Stolichnaya:
    I know someone who made one for their dog.  I think it's strange.

Ditto, and my friend even posts updates of what the dog's doing. It creeps me out. Oh and about kids having one, that's strange too. They don't need one until 14 years+.

imageimage
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • That creeps me out a bit.
  • imageRitaT22:
    Just had to add, I miss the days of when you needed a college email to open up a facebook account. It is starting to get out of control.

completely agree 

• imageRitaT22:
    Just had to add, I miss the days of when you needed a college email to open up a facebook account. It is starting to get out of control.

Ditto this too.

A friend of mine and/or his GF made one for their 22 day old baby.... With things like "sleeping" and "looking cute" under activities, and posted "happy father's day, daddy!" to my friend. I would think they have better things to do with a baby less than a month old....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There is NO way! My daughter does have her own page on circle of moms, that does link up to my facebook. I add the other moms I personally know, and it keeps them updated on what is going on in her life. I put on funny quotes, what's going on in her life, etc etc. That I can understand, but facebook? No way!
  • I made one for my son! Come flame me ;)

I don't post any photos under it, they only go on my account and are only viewable to my friends. I have an account for my son simply to reserve the "custom username" so he won't have a username like zz8734240897 when he's old enough to actually use the website. We don't post statuses or anything for him. That's lame.

I've been using the internet since I was 10 (so going on 18 years now, people) and my husband and I are both very public online. I have no problem with my kids using the internet and will be teaching them how to be safe as soon as they're able to go online.

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• delg23delg23 member
    my friend's dog has a fb page :D
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I actually have a facebook page for my 4 month old son. My husband did it and I thought it was crazy at first, since I also object to my nieces being on facebook ( age 5-10), but it turned out to be a great thing. We dont live near any of my family and my husband is from overseas so our family and friends are updated with pictures, video and silly updates almost weekly be it from our camera or our phone! We heard from a bunch of people that those shared picture websites ( shutterfly) were annoying, so we thought we would be different and leave it to  our friends and family  to choose when they looked. It has actually brought me closer to relatives who I have not seen in a few years and of course keeps the family abroad up to date. 

Also since we control the privacy settings and the friends, I dont see the issue. 

• Personally I find it odd when people post pictures of their intimate family life to their group of 100's of  "friends". Parents who create a page specifically for their child actually have better control of who gets to share in their life. Why would you expose your childs photo on your page where EVERYone of your friends and associates can see?

My daughter is 5 months old and has had a Facebook page since she was conceived!

Both my husband and I have our own pages and our "friend" lists are expansive with Family, Friends, Colleagues, Friends of Friends.... etc

We both felt we wanted to keep the sharing of our pregnancy relatively private but we have a ton of family who live out of state. Giving our baby her own private page allowed us to dramatically limit those who got to view our ultrasounds pics and updates. This way we get censorship without having to delete any "friends" on our individual pages

The best part of Facebook is the platform it gives you to discuss ideas and thoughts as a group. We could have emailed a select group of people pictures but Facebook makes communicating easy which allows us to post updates more often.  

Example... We posted pics of our baby girl at 5 months this week. Aunts and uncles shared their thoughts together, sent well wishes for the Holiday and even planned a BBQ for those of us in town this weekend. We were able to do this without my colleauges, and friends nosing into our conversation because the only friends my daughter has are family (and REALLY close friends) 

Obviously I control he page. When she is old enough to work on the computer we will closely monitor her use and the information she sees as any responsble parent should.

• Cheers to you dear Karenlisa714! Finally a parent who understands that keeping your child informed about internet safety is the only real issue. What a great way to stay connected.

Just so everyone knows... a pedophile can't actually access your child thru pictures and if you're being dilligent and censoring your childs usage... you can teach him/her how to be safe not only on the internet but also in their day to day life.

• I thought there was a minimum age requirement for FB users. Even if the parents have obviously set it up it still seems inappropriate to me. We should, as parents, be doing everything we can to protect our children...not overexpose them.
  • My DH wanted to set up a page as sson as found out we were expecting.  Like others, our close family and friends do not live by us.  We thought this was a good way to update them on our baby's development.  They want to be involved my pregnancy and this was a way to make it happen.  My family and friends love to see the ultrasound videos and I love to see great baby finds they discover.  I feel more connected to them during this amazing time in my life.
  • While I don't have a FB page for my 3 month old, I completely agree with Chenani. I'm not sure what people think they are protecting their LO from by keeping them off the internet. If you're smart, utilize facebook privacy settings, don't post your child's full information and monitor who you friend, then what's the harm? You can update just those that want to know about your baby's progress with out compromising your own page. I know that some of my friend's just don't care that Sophie smiled for the first time but her grandparents and such LOVE to know every little tiny detail.

Not to mention that if a pedophile really wanted a picture of your baby then all they'd have to do is whip out their camera phone while you're out shopping with your LO. If we as parents show our kids that we are afraid of the internet because of the dangers rather then teaching them how to be safe then its just going to lead kids into putting themselves at greater risk. With how interrogated the internet and social networking is in our society, its a mistake to try to shield your kids from it. All it takes is for your child to go to a friends house, school or the library to start their own facebook page that you don't know about. And personally I would rather know then not.

• You can block it to where only your friends can see anything. So therefore, pics would not be shown to the whole fb world! I love updating my friends and family on my DS. 
  • Do they not know about Circle of Moms? That's what it's there for, plus there are extra securities so you know who can see the pics of your lo's. That really does surprise me. Some people don't think about who is out there and who can see your pics...
  • Ya that's weird...i wont even let my 11 year old son, and 14 year old nephew go on it...it can be the Lions den....
  • I would definitely say this is a little strange!
  • My son is 11 weeks old, and I have one for him. We live far away from all of our friends and family, so his page is a way they get daily updates on him, can find all of his pictures in one place (on his page), and when they post pictures they've taken of him on FB, they can tag him. It just makes our life easier, and also allows my DH and I to keep our pages for us... a little piece of adult life. It's completely blocked to anyone who isn't invited to it, so it's safe.

I think it's wrong that so many of you are judging parents who do this. My reasons are sound, and it gives my family a sense that they're a part of his life. Maybe you should all think before you react and say such mean things.

• Sorry but I don't get why you care?   I mean truly what business is it of yours what someone else does?  Also it isn't hurting anyone.

Maybe some parents think it's cute....or use it as a way for other family members and their children to stay connected.  I just don't see what the big deal is and why you even care at all......shouldn't you just worry about your own family?  JMO.

• I vow here and now to never do that...or have a facebook for my dog. And yes, I have seen those too. LAME
    imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"