Babies: 0 - 3 Months

I knew this would be hard...

BF is so much harder than I thought it would be.  LO lost 10.1% of his body weight in the hospital, but then started gaining again.  Last night he seemed to keep wanting to eat, but was still hungry.  Finally, I was in tears, so mom fixed an oz of formula. She sent me to bed and gave it to him.  I got to sleep three hours and felt so much better when I woke up. He went right back to the breast this morning.

After a trip to the pedi today and then a BF support class, I found out he's not getting all he needs at every feeding, so I just have to watch his cues and supplement when necessary.  That was such a relief.  Just to have someone tell me what to do.  We're keeping at it, but there is so much to learn.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I knew this would be hard...

• It's definitely tough.

See if you can get a Medela Supplemental Nursing System to use when you have to supplement.  I used it with my DD and I was able to get her on all breastmilk in a couple of weeks.  It supplements while still stimulating your supply.

Good luck!

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • imagehikerbeth:

It's definitely tough.

See if you can get a Medela Supplemental Nursing System to use when you have to supplement.  I used it with my DD and I was able to get her on all breastmilk in a couple of weeks.  It supplements while still stimulating your supply.

Good luck!

I'm getting one this weekend.  My BF has the Medela system with a brand new motor.  We're getting the attachments tomorrow and I definitely plan to try to use all BM when I can.   I had a reduction years ago, so everything I can do get my supply up is a plus.

• Loading the player...
  • QmommyQmommy member

BF is hard!  I was at my wits end last week but it has gradually gotten easier for me.  

I saw a LC a few times in the last 2 weeks and she really helped me out.  One thing that helped increase my supply was to BF then pump for 15 minutes.  I then had my DH feed my LO the pumped breast milk with a syringe (she is refusing to take a bottle).  

The LC told me that BF is like learning a new dance.  We don't automatically know all the steps and it takes two people to do it correctly.  BF is a partner dance where both people need to learn the steps in order to do it seamlessly.  Hang in there!  It will get easier!  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • A Medela pump?  That's good too!

The SNS is a goofy little device (looks like it would never work).  You put formula in a reservoir and tape these little tubes to your breasts so they suck and get supplementation, but since they're sucking, they're also stimulating supply.  My LC gave it to me for free.

I have a friend who had a reduction who used one with decent success (though she always had to do some supplementation).

Have you looked at https://www.bfar.org

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Thanks ladies.  You're making me feel so much better! Smile I'll definitely check out bfar.org
  • After being in the hospital for 2 days when DD was 5 days old due to severe jaundice and weight loss, and meeting with several LC's we have finally found a system that works. It's kind of tedious, but at least I know she's getting enough to eat! We give DD a small amount of breast milk w/ a bottle to help calm her down before starting the feeding, then use a nipple shield and add a tiny bit of breast milk to the tip with a syringe to get her going. Then she will latch on for about 10-15 min per side. I still pump about 10 min after feedings as well to keep the supply up.

I'm hoping to not have to use the syringe much longer, but I've got a lazy eater, who doesn't want to work for her food!

• imagehikerbeth:

A Medela pump?  That's good too!

The SNS is a goofy little device (looks like it would never work).  You put formula in a reservoir and tape these little tubes to your breasts so they suck and get supplementation, but since they're sucking, they're also stimulating supply.  My LC gave it to me for free.

I have a friend who had a reduction who used one with decent success (though she always had to do some supplementation).

Have you looked at https://www.bfar.org

Whoops, I misread your fist post.  I saw Medela and thought pumping system.  I'll have to look into the SNS.  That may do the trick.  Thanks.

• imagejoan_rene:

After being in the hospital for 2 days when DD was 5 days old due to severe jaundice and weight loss, and meeting with several LC's we have finally found a system that works. It's kind of tedious, but at least I know she's getting enough to eat! We give DD a small amount of breast milk w/ a bottle to help calm her down before starting the feeding, then use a nipple shield and add a tiny bit of breast milk to the tip with a syringe to get her going. Then she will latch on for about 10-15 min per side. I still pump about 10 min after feedings as well to keep the supply up.

I'm hoping to not have to use the syringe much longer, but I've got a lazy eater, who doesn't want to work for her food!

HAHA I keep telling Finn sucking is his only job.  I like the idea about putting the bm in the shield.  I've been using a shield too.  You ladies are full of great ideas!!

• I feel you. My LO wasn't getting enough the first week he was home and I had to supplement. I was so upset for giving into formula. Now I make enough for each feeding (about every 2-3hrs) and he's happy but I wish I could pump a bottle or two (2-3oz) so DH can help at night. Last night I pumped 4oz but that was only bc I hadn't fed him on the breasts for 4 hours (or two feedings) so I was engorged. I talked to a lot of women about when milk "really" starts to come in (enough to freeze basically) and most of them said 3wks-4wks. I'm sooo counting down the days till that happens.
  • It can be really difficult in the beginning. For me, one day everything just clicked. LO started latching properly and eating wonderfully. Definitely take the help & support and try to hang in there. Everyone says it's natural (which it is), but that doesn't make it easy!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"