Babies: 0 - 3 Months

When did you take LO out in public?

My pedi said not to take the babies out in public (grocery store, restaurants, etc) until they are 8 weeks old and have had their first round of immunizations. 

I have only been able to take them to my parents and my in-laws' houses.  Can't go outside for walks because I live in Atlanta and it's wayyyy too hot and humid. 

I am starting to feel like a prisoner in my house and I still have over 3 weeks to go until I can take them out.  

Did anyone else wait that long?

Re: When did you take LO out in public?

• Our pedi never said we couldn't go out. We went to Wally at 5 days old and grocery shopping at 10 days old. Plus we've been to a bunch of friends and families houses. I seriously can't sit in the house unless I abso. have to. Stir crazy!
  • We went put ine the first week. We just didn't go to crowded places or let people get too close.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My pedi (a.k.a. MIL) says the same thing - no public outings until DD gets her 2 mo. shots.  Haven't even taken her out for a walk around the neighborhood yet, either.  I'll be taking her to my ILs tomorrow for Father's Day (they live right next door, though) and that'll be her first time outside of the house since we got back from the hospital.  I, too, feel like a prisoner in my own house and I am going stir crazy. 
  • ew.  no way.  DS will be going to daycare well before 8 weeks! 

I took him to the pharmacy at 5 days old, and that was the first time we got out - then went to a park after that.  The next day I took him to see the grand opening of my friend's new dance studio and then to the grocery store  (just to pick up a couple things, in there about 10 minutes).  We really haven't been out besides that, but only because I haven't really wanted to go anywhere with him.

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • We had DD out at 5 days (I had to go to the ER of all places) and then again at 9 days.  She is just fine.  We're planning to run some errands this afternoon and she's 12 days.  Our pedi said nothing about not taking her out.  I just make sure I am super protective of her when someone wants to look at her. 

• Immediately
    Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • imageshortms620:

We had DD out at 5 days (I had to go to the ER of all places) and then again at 9 days.  She is just fine.  We're planning to run some errands this afternoon and she's 12 days.  Our pedi said nothing about not taking her out.  I just make sure I am super protective of her when someone wants to look at her. 

You sound like me! When we went grocery shopping some old lady pulled up the blanket we had covering the carseat (so people WOULDN'T touch/look at him) and I completely got red in the face with anger. My Dh told me to calm down as long as she didn't touch it was okay. Then 5min. later I had an old man say, "Oh my gosh. How old are you?!" and I said 24 and he goes, "You don't LOOK old enough to have a baby! My goodness!" I was a bit irked but at least I look young. Maybe I'll be considered a "MILF" at age 30 (as my friend nicely stated. LOL.)

• Went grocery shopping and showed her off to coworkers at 4 days old.. Pedi told us not to have her in crowded rooms till 2 months old though..
  • We went on a walk her first week home, and have been on a few since then. We've also been to my parents' and ILs' homes, and visited Borders and Target yesterday evening.
    Blythe, born 6/5/10, and Oscar the dog (not pictured), adopted 11/16/07
  • We took him out for the first time today.  Just for coffee & to go to the farmers market.  He was in his uppa baby with the sunshade the whole time so no one could see him let alone breath or try to touch him.  He slept the whole time, it was no big deal.
  • Wow, my pedi said to wait 2 weeks, and we did. I feel like a bad mom now compared to all you guys.. I took LO into my classroom yesterday so they could meet her. Granted, no one was able to touch her, but it was still a crowded room!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We stopped at a coffee shop on the way home from the hospital and never stopped going out.  During my maternity leave, I made a point of going somewhere every day. When it was raining, we took walks in the mall. We walked to the supermarket, went shopping, and went to visit coworkers. We went out to eat and to happy hour as a family several times a week until about 6 weeks, when we could no longer count on the baby simply sleeping through it.

I kept others from touching him for the most part. My pedi said to be especially careful of children touching him.  But I'd have gone insane staying in my house until 8 weeks...and I'd probably find a different pedi.  I'd prefer one who was a bit more practical about raising a child.

• Immediately. It's impossible to stay home when you have another child who has classes, etc. We have no family here, so we have no sitters. I wasn't ever told to stay home and we have been everywhere with her.
  • we took him out around 2 weeks
  • We took LO to the store at 3 days. There's no way I'd wait until 8 weeks to go out. When I took LO to the store, she was in her carseat or I carried her in a wrap. No one was touching her, breathing on her, and she wasn't touching anything else.

The first week home she went to the grocery store, to visit my co-workers and to the park. I go everywhere with her.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • We had her out right away. There's no way I could wait in the house that long. I would go nuts. I just kept her covered and wouldn't let anyone touch her.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"