3rd Trimester

August Baby becomes June Baby! - long birth story...

Hi -

I am usually a lurker around here but I feel inclined to share our story.  Just some background- I have had a very normal pregnancy. I am 33 and there was nothing out of the ordinary conceiving or in my check ups.  

Friday night I had abdominal pains that felt like tightening all over my stomach. I thought it must have just been a normal pregnancy thing, maybe Braxton hicks and dismissed it. The next day I went along with my business running errands and even went on a run!

Then came Saturday night.... I went to bed around 1 am and felt ok. Periodically through the night the pains came back. I was tossing and turning and then just got up at 4:30 b/c they were too much. Then I remembered Braxton Hicks contractions are not supposed to hurt. I walked around the house and that did not make them go away so I consulted my handy dandy Mayo Clinic guide to pregnancy.  It said BH don't hurt and they go away when you change activites. Knowing that something was up I called my doctor and she said to go in immediately. Maybe I ate something bad that was irritating my uterus?

When I got the L&D at 5 a.m. I was dilated 1 cm and was experiencing contractions 3 minutes apart. I was only 30 weeks so they wanted to stop the baby from coming. They gave me a shot of Terbutaline and it seemed to calm things down for a little while but then it started right back up after an hour. After 3 of these shots the contractions were still coming with a vengeance. The baby's heartbeat would drop every time I had a contraction so something had to be done. The brought out the big dog - Magnesium sulfate. This was held off until the last ditch effort b/c of the side effects. It was 5 p.m. at this point and the pain was getting too much so they gave me an epidural. I had dilated to 4 c.m. and my doctor decided that it would be better to have the baby now than to risk anything with his heart rate dropping.

Luckily the epidural not only calmed me down but it soothed the baby. His heart rate stabilized. The doctors were conceredn now was that if he was delivered at 30 weeks his lungs would be immature. They gave me a steroid shot to help his lungs. Hoping that the Magnesium sulfate would still work I held tight and tried not to freak out. The goal was to stop them or make it to 1 a.m. so he could have 2 steroid shots for the lungs.

They checked my bleeding around 11 p.m. and it was more than expected so they checked the dilation. I was at 9 cm and there was no going back!

By 12:27 a.m. after maybe 15+ pushes we had a little baby boy name Conner. He was 3 pounds 8 ounces.  He is now recovering in the NICU but doing very well. He already is off the ventilator.

I can't wait to hold him! That is the toughest part but I am thankful for him and already love him so much.

So ladies pack your bags... you never know what may happen. I have to keep asking family to grab me this or that.

(We still don't know why I had preterm labor. The umbilical cord was very short but it could be other things. More tests to come.)

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: August Baby becomes June Baby! - long birth story...

• What a sweet little guy!  Congratulations and best of luck to you!
  • Congrats on your little boy! I hope he is healthy enough to go home quickly!
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow!  I'm so glad all is well!  He is adorable!
    Big Brother Logan Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Miles Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Bryan Smith - Freelance Photography Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh wow! Well congrats, I'm glad he's doing well!
  • Wow congrats! Thanks for the heads up!
  • So glad all is well with you and baby!!!  Praying for you to hold him soon!
  • Oh my gosh... I am so happy that your son is okay. Being two weeks away from 30, this really scares me. But, I'm glad to hear that he's doing well and it kind of calms my nerves a bit. I hope he continues to do great, and I hope you're doing well too!
  • Wow, that must have been quite scary! I'm so glad to hear he arrived safely and is doing well. I keep thinking how I still have a long way to go, so it's crazy to think it could happen so unexpectedly. Good luck to you - I hope you get him home soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Glad that you're both doing well - keep growing Connor :)
  • ames71ames71 member
    Congratulations to you! I'm so glad your little trooper is okay. Hope you get to hold him soon. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'll be 30 weeks this Saturday, and looking at the pics it amazes me that right now there is a fully formed baby inside me now!

Hugs to you and your beautiful son!  Glad all is well, thinking of you both!

Lilypie First Birthday tickersPhotobucket
  • Congrats on your little man- praying that he's in your arms quickly!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats to you and so glad all is well with your little boy, he is beautiful!!
  • What a cutie! Congrats! So glad he is doing well!! :)
  • Bless your heart - I can't imagine giving birth right now and I am a bit ahead of you!  Sending lots of T&P for Baby and you!! 
  • Congrats! He is precious! Hope you get to take him home very soon.
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats and I am glad both you and baby are doing well!
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congratulations!  He is precious.  I hope you will be able to hold him soon!
  • First of all, congrats on your baby boy!  I'm glad to hear he's doing well and I'm sure he'll only get stronger and healthier day to day.

Secondly, I'm so sorry you had to go through all that.  I just had my little girl last week at 35 weeks and also had to be put on mag for 4 days.  It is an awful drug that I hope I don't ever have to experience again.  I'm happy to hear you're doing okay though.

And lastly, I COMPLETELY agree with you to have your bags packed and be pretty ready around 30 weeks.  You just never know what will happen.  I started having trouble around 30 weeks as well and I know how you feel about having to have family members grab stuff for you.  We weren't all the way ready (if you ever really are) even at 35 weeks.

Stay strong and congrats again!

• CONGRATS! Wow we had the same due date.
  • my thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet little boy!

Thank you for sharing your story!

I hope that little guy gets big and strong for you!  Please keep us posted on his progress!

best of luck! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    A picture is worth a thousand words. I'd bet money your words are ignorant.
  • oh my goodness! Congrats on your LO! Please keep us updated!

4-7-11 - Natural MC @ 4w5d 6-27-11- MC @ 5w6dPgAL/PAL WelcomeDD#1- 8/20/2010DD#2- 6/21/2012EDD #3~ 5/1/2014 ~ Team Green
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Here's to you both and congratulations on your strong little boy!!
  • I'm so glad for you that he's doing so well!! But holy crap, now I'm scared. Our due dates are 2 days apart!
  • imagemax1563:

I'll be 30 weeks this Saturday, and looking at the pics it amazes me that right now there is a fully formed baby inside me now!

Hugs to you and your beautiful son!  Glad all is well, thinking of you both!

Me, too!! It amazed me, too. It's incredible that a beautiful, nearly full grown child is inside me, looking like that, right now!

• congrats!!! when you're up to it, the preemie board is a great resource. they were such a support for me when my son was born at 27w6d.
  • Thank you for sharing your story. Congrats on your little boy, he is precious! I will keep you both in my T&P's. Please keep us posted.
  • Congrats on the birth of your little man :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"