December 2010 Moms

Ex-Offenders, its time to confess

Have you ever done the following things to another pregnant woman and expecting couple; told them the name sucked, touched a pregnant belly without asking, said 'you look like you're having twins/ you're too small' and anything else that is consider offensive and rude?

I have to say about 10 years ago when I was younger, dumber and ruder I told someone that the name their husband liked was not good.  She agreed with me, thats how the conversation started (she was complaining about the name and I joined in) but I still feel bad about it because she brought the husband around and made me tell him what I said.  I should have lied.  Dreadful behavior on my part.

I never touched anyone and never commented about weight.  Now that I'm pregnant I know that I'm going to get one of the above.

Would you like to confess?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ex-Offenders, its time to confess

• I didn't exactly tell someone she looked like she was having twins, but she came to me about 11 weeks and said "I have big news!" And I said "Oh my God, are you having twins??" Embarrassed

Whoops!

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Not directly, but I know I can't hide it in my expression when I hear someone say they're going to name their child something atrocious.  I can say, "oooh, that's lovely!" but I know my face gives my real thoughts away.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I can honestly say I never have!!  But yesterday my boss said to me "Oh I didn' tknow Jess was expecting too?"  I looked at her funny and she said "Oh no, she isn't is she?!"  She was moritifed but luckily she didn't say anything to anyone but me!
  • imageKatieGator:
    Not directly, but I know I can't hide it in my expression when I hear someone say they're going to name their child something atrocious.  I can say, "oooh, that's lovely!" but I know my face gives my real thoughts away.

this. Me too!!

• I touched a few bellies, but never any strangers, only friends or family so in my book I figure I'm okay.  However, my SIL said some stranger came up to her at the grocery store and touched her belly. I think that would just freak me out.  I got to at least know your name. 
  • I am guilty of a "ooh let me see, are you showing yet, let me see the belly" kind of greeting to co-workers who are PG who I haven't seen in awhile. I knowww I am going to find that annoying.

I have always asked permission before touching a friend's belly. And I've probably only done it a few times. I don't really see what you gain from it if it's not your child or your sister or something.

• I'm a hands off type of person so I've never laid my hands on a pregnant belly unless said pregnant person grabbed my hands and put them on her belly.

As for comments. I think the only comments I've given pregnant women is after I've asked them how far along they were I tell them they look really good.

• I've said "fat" comments to women along the lines of, "You look like you're going to pop!"  When probably they're only 6 months.  I'm sure none of them were close to their due date.
  • imageMrsRonBurgundy:

I am guilty of a "ooh let me see, are you showing yet, let me see the belly" kind of greeting to co-workers who are PG who I haven't seen in awhile. I knowww I am going to find that annoying.

I have always asked permission before touching a friend's belly. And I've probably only done it a few times. I don't really see what you gain from it if it's not your child or your sister or something.

This, but not to co-workers, just family. I also used to go over and touch bellies without permission! (again only family/close friends). They never really seemed to mind, except my cousin who backed away and put her arms around her bally to protect it from me! LOL. I left her alone after that.

I don't think I'll mind family and close friends touching my belly (when it's big, not now!), but strangers in the supermarket better keep their hands off!!

• Yea...I've made 'fat' comments and touched bellies (of people I know of course). I'll never ever ever do it again.
  • oh yeah, I gave my sister a really hard time about her girl name - about 8 yrs ago, when she was expecting her first. It ended up being a boy, and remember saying thank god it won't have that name! =(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I didn't say it... but DH and I were at a store and there were 2 people ahead of me. The one was a woman, who was wearing an outfit that really looked like a maternity outfit! (She had on like linen pants, a cami and a little jacket that came just below her boobs, so it showed off her belly.) 

Well, the older gentleman ahead of me said, "When are you due, Miss?" 

--That's when DH learned that you NEVER insinuate a woman is pregnant unless you can actually see a baby coming out of her vagina at that exact moment.--

The lady said, "Oh, no you didn't!" and started ripping into him... I started laughing- NOT because of what happened but because she actually said, "Oh no you didn't"- which is hilarious in and of itself... she stormed out of there and the guy turned around to us and said, "Well, 67 years and I still haven't learned that lesson..."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I've totally asked people (friends, really) if they were pregnant because they were acting suspicious.  Now I kind of know not to do it, but it was really because I was just so excited about it.  And I was right on both people I did that too, so I hope they didn't mind too much!  So when people asked me, I definitely excused it, thinking, Well, they're just excited if I am...
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • I happy to say that I have a clear record.  :)
    tied the knot 06/07. m/c 12/09. KLC born 12/24/12. #2 edd 02/03/13! Anniversary
  • I've totally asked people (friends, really) if they were pregnant because they were acting suspicious.  Now I kind of know not to do it, but it was really because I was just so excited about it.  And I was right on both people I did that too, so I hope they didn't mind too much!  So when people asked me, I definitely excused it, thinking, Well, they're just excited if I am...
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • I've definitely said some inappropriate things like "your boobs are HUGE." I would probably still say that to close friends though. I don't have a good filter.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• lrn327lrn327 member
    Yep, "wow, you look so much further along!"  What was I thinking???  Now I'm the person that looks "further along" and it makes me want to cry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"