2nd Trimester

Plus sized mommas to be...

I was just wondering about your experience... When I had my NT scan at 11 weeks, the u/s tech said she would have to do a transvaginal u/s as she could not get good pictures with the normal u/s. I have my anatomy scan coming up in about 5 weeks and am worried that I may have to do the transvaginal again. So, I guess I am asking, were you able to have a normal u/s or did you have to endure another transvaginal u/s?  TIA!!!

Re: Plus sized mommas to be...

• I may be wrong but I believe the anatomy scan is typically transvag anyway because of the amount of detail they're looking for.  11 weeks is on the early end of the NT, so it's not surprising she had a little trouble.  All of my u/s have been transvag.  (One for confirmation and 2 for bleeding.) I'm a solid 14 as a non-preggo chick, and the more the baby grows the higher up my blubber is pushed.  I just feel like a lump right now.  I can't imagine they'd be able to find anything by abdominal u/s on me right now.
  • imagesuperMiller:
    I may be wrong but I believe the anatomy scan is typically transvag anyway because of the amount of detail they're looking for.  11 weeks is on the early end of the NT, so it's not surprising she had a little trouble.  All of my u/s have been transvag.  (One for confirmation and 2 for bleeding.) I'm a solid 14 as a non-preggo chick, and the more the baby grows the higher up my blubber is pushed.  I just feel like a lump right now.  I can't imagine they'd be able to find anything by abdominal u/s on me right now.

Both my pregnancies the anatomy scan was not trans vag (I am not plus size though) and I have never heard anyone say that theirs (anatomy scan) was trans vag.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a transvag. at 5 weeks and 6 weeks due to bleeding.

My NT scan was not a transvag. but she had to push so hard on my tummy to get a good picture, that I kinda wish it had been!

My anatomy scan was last week and it was not transvag. and they got a perfect picture without having to bruise my belly!

And I am plus sized.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am a 14-16 pre pregnancy, my only U/S I have had so far was not transvag, and they weren't pressing very hard either. I have another one the end of this month to see if I'll be on bedrest until LO arrives, and it will probably not be trans vag either.
  • My first u/s was trans-vag at 8 wks but my second u/s at 12 1/2 wks was abdominal. I'm a size 18 pre-pregnancy so I'm pretty sure if they can find the baby with me, they can find it on you too! :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagemlc92404:

imagesuperMiller:
    I may be wrong but I believe the anatomy scan is typically transvag anyway because of the amount of detail they're looking for.  11 weeks is on the early end of the NT, so it's not surprising she had a little trouble.  All of my u/s have been transvag.  (One for confirmation and 2 for bleeding.) I'm a solid 14 as a non-preggo chick, and the more the baby grows the higher up my blubber is pushed.  I just feel like a lump right now.  I can't imagine they'd be able to find anything by abdominal u/s on me right now.

Both my pregnancies the anatomy scan was not trans vag (I am not plus size though) and I have never heard anyone say that theirs (anatomy scan) was trans vag.

This. I'm not plus-sized either, just more fluffy then the average girl (size 10-12 pp)!! But I'm pretty sure that they can do the anatomy scan abdominally no matter how big you are. At 10w4d they were able to do an abdominal u/s and see things fine.

• I am a 14,small 16 pre-preg.My first U/S at 12 1/2 weeks was trans-vag.I am high risk and had an anatomy scan at 20 weeks that was abdominal,but they couldn't see much since the baby was positioned very low and curled up.

Since then,I have had 2 level 2 U/S and they were at 21 and 24 weeks, both abdominal.GL!

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• I was a 24 pre-pregnancy, and I just had an ultrasound (they could not find heartbeat with the doppler), and it was not transvaginal. But it HURT! She had to press so hard... I would have preferred trans-vag.
  • imagemlc92404:

imagesuperMiller:

me either...I was a size 14 pp

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• my first u/s was trans vaginal as I think they all are, but my 17 weeks and up ones have always been through my belly.
  • I'm not plus sized, but my doctor said all of my u/s up until 28 weeks will include a transvag. I guess all docs are different!
  • I was with a RE and my 6, 8 and 10 week u/s's were all t/v.  I had my NT scan at 12 weeks and she could get the baby abdominally, but it was flipping and squirming so much in order to get the measurements she needed (without bruising the crap out of me), she ended up going t/v.  

I fully expect my 18 week u/s to be abdominal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Im a 12/14 pp.  My first u/s they did both transvag and non transvag, that was at 11 weeks and they saw everything just fine the non transvag way.  I go in for my anatomy scan tomorrow and it will not be transvag. 

Even with my DD, I was a size 6 pp and they did it both ways as well.  I think it just depends on the dr.

imageimageimage

• I've had both...at 8 weeks I had a transvag & at 12 weeks they couldn't find the heartbeat so they did a standard style ultrasound.

I'm sure you'll be fine for the anatomy scan, my little bean popped up on the screen right away on the regular ultrasound and I carry most of my weight on my tummy. (size 16 pp)

• im plus sized and i have had all but my 7 week, and 11 week us have been abd.  the only reason they ddi the early ones vag was to view my cervix.  they have been able to see all the baby via abd ones since so I highly doubt that it will be a transvag
  • poomanpooman member
    I was a 20 pp and since my NT scan at 12 weeks my U/Ss have been over the stomach except (like pp) when they needed to see my cervix then it was all dildo cam ;o)
  • I'm plus sized and none of my ultrasounds have been transvaginal. I got my first one at 12 weeks and they didn't have a problem. It very well could depend on the equipment as well. Good luck and hopefully you can have a regular ultrasound this time! :)
  • I was a size 16-18 before DS and only at 8 weeks did I have a trans-vag ultrasound.  All the others were regular.  This pregnancy my 11 week scan was regular.  I have never heard of a transvag ultrasound at the 20 week one.  You should be fine with your next scan!
  • I am a 22-24 pre pregnancy and my anatomy scan was non transvag! I have actually had 3 that were not and when they did try the transvag they actually had a harder time. My uterus sits really high and far back though! Just goes to show everyone is different! Good Luck!
  • I'm a 16 PP and had an abdominal u/s at 13w and we were able to see the baby just fine. 
  • What the other ladies are saying.  I'm a 22/24 pp (and I was with DD) usually only the 1st u/s (between 6-10 weeks) was t/v.  I just had a dating ultrasound on wednesday and they did it all abdomially(sp).  My anatomy scan with DD was that way too.  Hope everything goes well!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am also size 22-24 and only 10 week scan was t/v by ob and it was JUST to see heartbeat.  Didn't do nt scan, but 20 week anatomy was all abd.  Did have to go back 2 weeks later to get better shots, but only cuz baby was in a bad position.  With all the different angles they need for anatomy, I doubt they do many t/v.  They did have to push pretty hard down way low where I have really sensitive skin (under my belly), but I survived. Good luck!
  • Im an 18/20pp and I have an U/S about every three weeks if not every two dependingon when I can make my appts and My last T/V U/S was at about 10w5d my anatomy scan and NT scan were all abdominal and I do have a pooch non pregnancy related. But Im seeing that is the general concensus
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am a size 14PP and with my first I had all normal U/s.. This time I had trans vag for 5 and 6wks due to probs. a normal 11wk NT scan with lots of pushing.. I have my anatomy scan tomorrow and I am getting both, the only reason I am getting trans vag is for cervix check since DD tried to come early they are watching me on this one.
  • I'm a big girl.

I had a trans vag u/s at 8wks because of a kidney stone.  For my anatomy scan it was just normal.

Good luck! :)

• 1st NT was an external u/s, but the girls were too small to get any useful information.

2nd NT was external and internal because the girls were moving too much and they couldn't get good readings.

I had my anatomy scan on Friday. It was an external u/s and, again, they couldn't get enough info because the girls wouldn't stop moving.  I go back in in a couple of weeks for another anatomy u/s. 

It had nothing to do with the fact that I'm plus sized and everything to do with the fact that I'd had coffee 20 minutes before the u/s.  Der. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• I am a 22pp and my 20 week U/S was done from the outside and they had no trouble seeing everything.  Good Luck!
  • During my anatomy scan I also had a trans vaginal. They said it was a routine part of the whole exam to make sure my cervix length was ok.
  • bmqcmgbmqcmg member
    When I had my first u/s around 13 weeks they did a normal u/s and a transvaginal u/s (and I'm not plus size). And then my other two u/s that I had done... One around 18 weeks and the other was done last week, were done normally. So, you might not have to go through another transvaginal u/s. Best of luck that you don't have to!

DD - Juliana Joan - Born October 27, 2010 - My Little Princess

BFP 1/14/13 - M/C 1/22/13 @ 5 weeks

BFP 3/20/13 - EDD 11/11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• I'm a size 18 & I had an u/s at 9 weeks and at 19 weeks and niether were transvag. She didn't have any problem finding our little boy, he was just stubborn and laid on his back the whole time so she couldn't see his spine very well. Maybe they have a lower power u/s machine or something.
  • I was a size 22 pp and my 12 week and 20 week were both abdominal u/s. So you shouldn't have to go through another one!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Thank you for sharing your experience with me.. I am hoping that there are no more transvaginal ultrasounds in my future for this pregnancy!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"