2nd Trimester

baby shower date

Let me start of by saying I am very grateful that my mom wants to throw a shower but I am a little worried about the date.

She is insisting on an Oct 10th date.  I am due on Nov 11.  Is that pushing it too close?  I slightly mentioned to her that it is possible I could have the baby by that time and she told me that I could just bring the baby with me (not gonna happen) if that is the case.  This is my first pregnancy and I don't know how much I'm going to want to put away baby stuff at 36 weeks pregnant.  Lastly, I don't know what H and I go ahead and buy in case the baby comes early (so we are ready) and what we wait and actually register for.  These last couple reasons can obviously be worked around but they are things I'm thinking about.

Her case for the date - my sister moved to Alaska for the summer (this is 2nd year doing this) and is not coming home for the winter until that weekend.  She also claims that baby showers are supposed to be that close to the due date.

So my question is this - do I try talking to her about moving the date or do I suck it up and hope the baby doesn't come too early?

Re: baby shower date

• I would not want it that late.  But then you have to choose do you want it that date or do you want it when your sister can't be there?  I'm having mine super early (21 weeks) so that my sister can be there.  not my ideal thing but thats soon enough.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i think that is fine. the chances of you delivering that early is very low.

I had mine at 35.5 weeks.  I was fine.  I was running on adrenaline and had a blast!!   Just enough time to get every thing washed without it sitting around for a LONG time for me to forget what I had received.

• Loading the player...
  • My DD came 5 weeks early and came home with us on time.  My shower was at 33 weeks, so it was a close call.  I think it depends on what you and DH plan on buying beforehand.  Me and my DH bought our crib and bedding on our own, before my shower.  We bought a little bit of clothes and had some diapers my mom bought us.  We would have been ok, but I formula-fed, so it would have been kinda hectic to get everything in order.  We still had to get organized quickly when she got home, but we made it work. 
    imageimageimage
  • imageRoseTor:
    I would not want it that late.  But then you have to choose do you want it that date or do you want it when your sister can't be there?  I'm having mine super early (21 weeks) so that my sister can be there.  not my ideal thing but thats soon enough.

I would love for my sister to be there but what bugs me about it is my sister could come home earlier - she's just choosing not to.

• imagehewinked:
    My DD came 5 weeks early and came home with us on time.  My shower was at 33 weeks, so it was a close call.  I think it depends on what you and DH plan on buying beforehand.  Me and my DH bought our crib and bedding on our own, before my shower.  We bought a little bit of clothes and had some diapers my mom bought us.  We would have been ok, but I formula-fed, so it would have been kinda hectic to get everything in order.  We still had to get organized quickly when she got home, but we made it work. 

We are planning on doing the crib and bedding ourselves.  If we keep the 10/10 date I am going to plan on buying the car seat, newborn cloth diapers, some clothes....I guess everything we will need in those first weeks just in case.

• I am pretty sure back in the day baby showers were done either after the baby was born or really close the due date, so I think that's where your mom is coming from.

It sounds like you might be getting a little freaked out about having everything or close to everything you need before you could go into labor.  (I totally relate to this... I cannot procrastinate!) I think that if it would work better for you and your sanity and organizational style, to ask to have it moved.  If sister can't come, it's okay... that's life now. People are more mobile now.

I just know if it were me, I'd be freakin' out to have it that close.  

• imagesbowersox:

imagehewinked:
    My DD came 5 weeks early and came home with us on time.  My shower was at 33 weeks, so it was a close call.  I think it depends on what you and DH plan on buying beforehand.  Me and my DH bought our crib and bedding on our own, before my shower.  We bought a little bit of clothes and had some diapers my mom bought us.  We would have been ok, but I formula-fed, so it would have been kinda hectic to get everything in order.  We still had to get organized quickly when she got home, but we made it work. 

We are planning on doing the crib and bedding ourselves.  If we keep the 10/10 date I am going to plan on buying the car seat, newborn cloth diapers, some clothes....I guess everything we will need in those first weeks just in case.

I didn't even think about the car seat, duh!  Yeah, that was a shower gift for us.  Yeah, if you go with that shower date, I'd buy all the definite have to have things just in case.

imageimageimage
  • imagesbowersox:

imageRoseTor:
    I would not want it that late.  But then you have to choose do you want it that date or do you want it when your sister can't be there?  I'm having mine super early (21 weeks) so that my sister can be there.  not my ideal thing but thats soon enough.

I would love for my sister to be there but what bugs me about it is my sister could come home earlier - she's just choosing not to.

I understand.  my sister was supposed to come in September - so we could have it over Labor day (get it hahaha) but my parents talked her into coming earlier so she wont be able to afford to come now and later.  I REALLY don't want it next month though....she is doing it on a Sunday and most of the invites are out of town.  :o(  Whose going to come on a Sunday when they have to drive from another state?

• I'm due October 7 and my shower is August 21.. however, my OB is already talking about induction/CS round the third week in September due to several issued. Mine is close to that date because that was when my best friend was able to get a place booked that would accomodate the people coming. DH and I plan to have the bare basics available just in case something were to happen. Most showers I have been to have been within a month of the mother's due date.
  • I wouldn't want it that close to my DD but I'm sure you will be fine. My mom is planning a pretty large shower for me so I am hoping on getting most of the smaller items I need from the shower, then spend the rest of the time buying the rest and organizing. My shower is 2 months before DD. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have the same due date!

My mom and sister really wanted to do my baby shower after the baby was born, but when I explained that wasn't going to happen because November is flu season (at least around here) they understood my POV.

My shower is the last Sunday in September that way we still have time to put things away and buy things that we still need. Could you ask your mom to move the baby shower back for said reasons and then when your sister comes back in to town you, her and your mom could do lunch and then spend the afternoon puttering around in the nursery? This way your sister is still involved in baby stuff and you get to have your shower a bit earlier.

• Personally, I wouldn't want my shower that late. I don't think I would have the energy to put all the gifts away. And like you said, your sister COULD come home earlier, she just chooses not to. It seems like the shower is more about what your mom & sister want, not you or your DH. I hope you work it out well, GL :)
  • I would push for an earlier date for the shower. If your sister chooses not to come home early then she's choosing to miss your shower. I don't think it's fair to make you worry about delivering early & missing your shower or having to wait til the last minute to put evrything in order & buy last minute necessities.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"