Upstate NY Babies

Calling hours/funeral and dress attire?

My dh and I are attending calling hours and a funeral mass for a friend's Mother. Thankfully, it has been a long time since we've had to go to one. What is appropriate to wear?  I guess I'm just not sure how dressy we should get.  I'm planning on wearing dress pants and a dressier shirt (normally what I wear for work) for the funeral but thought I could be a little more casual for the calling hours.  Do you think this would be ok?  And do you think it would be alright for my dh to wear suit pants, a button down and tie, but not a suit jacket for the funeral?  TIA!
Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Calling hours/funeral and dress attire?

• Sorry about your mom's friend. Those sound good to both. Some people choose to wear suits and some don't but as long as you look nice and respectable.
    Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think you can wear anything to calling hours... For my grandmothers, even some of my family members were in jeans, and the people who came wore just normal clothes for the most part.

And  I don't think your DH needs to wear a jacket for the funeral.

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto Melissa.  I always wear work clothes to both - dress pants and a top.  DH wears dress shirt and slacks to the funeral and usually either that or khakis and a polo to the calling hours.  I think the only time he wore a jacket was for his sister's funeral, and for my uncles (but that was winter time).  I often see people in regular clothes to the calling hours though, so I don't think you would be out of place either way.
  • I guess I am in the minority here but I don't think it is respectful to wear whatever to calling hours. I think that you still wear business type attire. T-shirt and jeans are not appropriate.

When my grandmother passed I was appalled at what people wore. I think that we, as a society, have lost the ability to dress up. 

This may not be someone that you were particularly close to but someone was and while they may not pay close attention to what you where they will notice if it is not right. 

That being said, I am sure that you will put something together that is appropriate. Just based on the fact that you are thinking about it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"