Baby Names

mn contender - am I crazy?

DH and I started dating in college in Santa Cruz, we later got married in Santa Cruz and to this day it's still one of my favorite places.  I have been trying to come up with a name that somehow represents Santa Cruz to use a middle name, and not-very-creative me has only been able to come up with Cruz so far (DH jokingly suggested "Santa," "Dipper" (after a ride on the Boardwalk) and "Coconut" (after Coconut Grove, connected to the Boardwalk)).

Cruz is Spanish for Cross.  DH and I do not have any Spanish speaking heritage.  We are also not religious.  Yet the name is growing on me.  Am I crazy?!  When I ask DH if I'm crazy, his reply is "maybe" but he admits that it's grown on him too.

Re: mn contender - am I crazy?

• If you like it go for it.

I am a Spanish speaker and I would not name my kid that since I am half Jewish, it reminds me too much of JC and it just would not work for us but it is a very nice Spanish name.

• Middle names aren't spoken very often so I think that they can be a bit more non-traditional than first names.  One of my boys' middle names is my mom's maiden name and unless you knew our family, it would sound totally strange. 

So, now that I'm done with my diatribe, since it has special meaning to you, I say use it

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it's great!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It's unique, but not crazy.  I like it when mns are a little different or have a special meaning.
    BFP- 08/10/07 M/C- 08/31/07 7wks 6 days BFP- 8/13/10 Audrey 4/26/11 BFP- 10/20/12 M/C- 10/24/12 4wks 2 days
  • Even though you guys don't have spanish heritage, the name still means something for you, so I say, go for it!

BFP #1 - BFP #2 - Blog
    <3 and Luck to my BFPB StephK!!- Emma is here!!

• I agree. If you like it go for it.  Its your decision.
  • I think Cruz could definitely work as a middle name! Any first name ideas?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • I think the fact that it has such a special meaning to you and that it's growing on you both is waaaaay more important than what any of us think.  If you like it, use it.
  • imagelovemytwoboys:
    I think Cruz could definitely work as a middle name! Any first name ideas?

Yeah, we were team green w/Baby #1, so we've had a boy name picked out for a while.  If she had been a boy she would have been Dean Alexander.  But, now we have an Alexandra, so we need to come up with a new middle name.  I've been going through all the family names and I don't love any of them for one reason or another, which got me focused on trying to find something that had more significance for us as a couple which led me to Cruz.  Dean Cruz is a little choppy, but our last name is longer, and when do you really use a mn anyway?!  I'm so torn... I dismissed it outright at first, but it is growing on me!  I think I might get a LOT of perplexed reactions from my family if we use it.

• I like it for a mn on a boy.
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • I like it a lot, but I might be biased since Cruz was my LN and is now my MN.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Cruz isn't that out there for a middle name in my area, and nationally it's in the 300s on SSA.
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • oh I am so glad you posted this...dh and I got married on St, Croix and have very seriously considered Croix as a mn if this baby is boy.  There are other contenders so I am not 100% it is a go but I DEF like the idea of you using Cruz!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think Cruz could work for a MN.  But if you're not entirely sure about it, is there any one place or activity that has significance for you and DH in the city?  And I kind of like Coco for the Coconut inspiration. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I thought you were going to say you want to name your kid Dipper.  Sooooo, i think you're good.
  • I think if the name has a special meaning to you then you should use it.

I like that it has a background story to it and not just a name you picked out of a baby name book.

• I like it!

I have a friend who just named her little boy Kruz, and another friend who has an older son named Cruise (I don't like the spelling on that one so much.)

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"