3rd Trimester
Options

Chocolate flavored formula - DISCONTINUED!

THANK GOODNESS - I thought this was sick when it came out.  I'm really glad it was discontinued!

https://gdiapers.typepad.com/earlyyears/2010/06/chocolate-flavored-formula-discontinuedthe-power-of-social-media-discuss.html

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Chocolate flavored formula - DISCONTINUED!

• Options
    what was wrong with the normal flavor.. jeez.
  • Options

imagestephanieroyer:
    what was wrong with the normal flavor.. jeez.

Right?  I agree

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What a great way to get kids hooked on chocolate at a young age! SMH!
  • Options
    i cant get to it, but it sounds nasty. Ick!
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    OMG - I have never seen this...that is insane!
  • Options

imageanvloveskme:
    OMG - I have never seen this...that is insane!

I think <?> it was only around for a very limited time - a lot of people (myself included) thought it was really getting our babies off to the wrong start, craving chocolate at such an early age. 

• Options

I don't get what's so sick about it.

It isn't infant formula.  It's basically a toddler version of Pediasure (which comes in chocolate, btw).

You wouldn't use it to replace a toddler's diet.  You use it as a supplement when your child isn't a good eater or doesn't take to drinking plain cow's milk.  Some kids won't drink the normal formula flavor, and it already comes in vanilla, which no one seems to have a problem with.

PS- I give DD Carnation Instant Breakfast now and then, with the approval of her Dr, because she doesn't always want to eat.  It's chocolate.  I guess I'm just setting my child up for a lifetime of chocolate addiction.  (insert huge eyeroll here)

Bunny 05.2008//mc 9.2009//Bubba 07.2010//mc 10.2011//
    Bloggin' It
  • Options

well if it is just for toddlers it probably isn't much different that the NutraPal drinks and Kid Essentials. I used the nutrapal one (choc) for my son for a while (when he wa sin his super picky eat stage) when he was 2 or so. I would mix it with his regular 2% milk at dinner just for some added vitamins, etc. I'm not really familiar with the choc formula but it seems like that is sort of what it is??

And I can count one one hand how many times my son has had real chocolate milk. Even now some nights at dinner he asks for chocolate milk- which at our house is ovaltine. Same kind of thing. He drinks almost all water and 2% white milk... maybe OJ a couple times a milk and ovaltine a few times a week with dinner.

• Options
    imageCoastieWife08:

It isn't infant formula.  It's basically a toddler version of Pediasure (which comes in chocolate, btw).

You wouldn't use it to replace a toddler's diet.  You use it as a supplement when your child isn't a good eater or doesn't take to drinking plain cow's milk.  Some kids won't drink the normal formula flavor, and it already comes in vanilla, which no one seems to have a problem with.

PS- I give DD Carnation Instant Breakfast now and then, with the approval of her Dr, because she doesn't always want to eat.  It's chocolate.  I guess I'm just setting my child up for a lifetime of chocolate addiction.  (insert huge eyeroll here)

I agree... I just posted a comment about it too. I didn't think it was that strange.

• Options

My Pedi had suggested we try this formula if DS didn't want to transition from FF to cow's milk at 12 months.

I do not think there was anything wrong with it being flavored, don't they have Pediasure in different flavors too? It is obviously for toddlers not for infants.

• Options
    Anyone else notice that the "formula" is for toddlers.....who I am assuming people give chocolate milk to? I'm sure it is enriched with more vitamins/minerals than regular milk.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageCoastieWife08:

This. It isn't the same kind of formula you give infants.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    augs06augs06 member
    imageLB_Momma:
    imageCoastieWife08:

I agree... I just posted a comment about it too. I didn't think it was that strange.

Me three.  If it was chocolate for 0-12months then it might get a side eye from me but since it's 12-36mo supplement, I don't see the big deal.  Although my 2yr old isn't a picky eater, I haven't had the struggle of getting all her nutrients.  If I did, I would definitely use whatever was rec'd to keep her healthy.
    forcing sisterly love since 07.06.10
  • Options
    Sounds kinda yucky ... America has some of the coolest, and sometimes oddest products! Smile I do like the little duck on the package though ... cute ducky!
  • Options
    Sounds kinda yucky ... America has some of the coolest, and sometimes oddest products! Smile I do like the little duck on the package though ... cute ducky!
  • Options
  • Options

Um...yeah, it's not INFANT formula.

Poor scrawny DS is under the supervision of a nutritionist and an occupational therapist for his poor eating (he is never hungry and extremely picky about what he DOES eat to boot) and they are A- OK with pediasure, in any flavor. At this stage of the game, we are just trying to avoid malnourishment...and if vanilla, chocolate or strawberry pediasure helps bridge the gap, who the eff cares?

FWIW, he was BF'd for 21 months, and I'm pretty sure that breastmilk is "sweeter" tasting than chocolate formula. And it's not like breastfed babies are doomed to have a wicked sweet tooth. ;) 

• Options

What about chocolate flavored PediaSure.  It's aimed at children age 1-8.

• Options
    I agree, I don't see what the big deal is. If it was for infants, then I would have a problem with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    It is for toddlers...and I don't see anything wrong with it *shrugs*...
    Brady (7.15.10) and Nolan (5.11.13)
  • Options
    RoxpupRoxpup member
    imageIvana.Stolichnaya:

And it's mostly sugar!!!  Much worse than the toddler formula with chocolate flavoring, I am willing to bet!

• Options
    I agree with the other ladies who have pointed out it is not an infant formula, it is a supplement for toddlers and doctors prescribe them all the time (PediaSure, etc.), there are plenty of doctors that will say it is okay to add flavoring to regular milk to get your child to drink the milk if they are not milk fans and if they are picky eaters.  I don't have an issue with the supplement at all, it's really too bad that apparently the general public is too stupid to read the label and figure out that it's a toddler supplement and not an infant formula so they got all up in arms about nothing.  I imagine that it will probably be reintroduced with much different packaging to reduce the confusion for those who can't read.
  • Options
    imageRoxpup:
    imageIvana.Stolichnaya:

And it's mostly sugar!!!  Much worse than the toddler formula with chocolate flavoring, I am willing to bet!

WTF? No it's not. Read a label. Geez, these moms to be will be eating their words if/when they have a picky toddler who literally would rather starve than eat a veggie. You know the saying "they won't let themselves starve?" yes they will. My son has gone from 90th to less than 3rd percentile since birth because he really doesn't care whether he eats or not.
  • Options
    RoxpupRoxpup member
    imageBride2bMO:
    imageRoxpup:
    imageIvana.Stolichnaya:

WTF? No it's not. Read a label. Geez, these moms to be will be eating their words if/when they have a picky toddler who literally would rather starve than eat a veggie. You know the saying "they won't let themselves starve?" yes they will. My son has gone from 90th to less than 3rd percentile since birth because he really doesn't care whether he eats or not.

I have read a label... and from their website, this is their ingredient list: 

ingredients:
    WATER, SUGAR (SUCROSE), CORN MALTODEXTRIN, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, HIGH OLEIC SAFFLOWER OIL, SOY OIL, COCOA POWDER (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, MEDIUM-CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES; LESS THAN 0.5% OF: SHORT-CHAIN FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CELLULOSE GEL, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, POTASSIUM CITRATE, SALT (SODIUM CHLORIDE), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, SOY LECITHIN, MONOGLYCERIDES, C. COHNII OIL, ASCORBIC ACID, CELLULOSE GUM, CARRAGEENAN, m-INOSITOL, TURMERIC, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, TAURINE, FERROUS SULFATE, dl-ALPHA-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, L-CARNITINE, ZINC SULFATE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, NIACINAMIDE, FD&C RED#3, MANGANESE SULFATE, THIAMINE CHLORIDE HYDROCHLORIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, CUPRIC SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FOLIC ACID, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, BIOTIN, SODIUM SELENATE, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, PHYLLOQUINONE, CYANOCOBALAMIN, AND VITAMIN D3.

CONTAINS SOY AND MILK INGREDIENTS.

the link is here:  https://pediasure.com/Products

I juts had to prove myself right, I am not, in any way, passing judgement on people who need to use pediasure to keep their children healthy, including you (and I know quite a few picky eaters who will definately starve themselves), I'm so sorry if it sounded like I was being a doucher to you, cause I was in no way meaning to.  The point about my comment was that I bet (with no facts to back it up) that Pediasure has more sugar in it than the chocolate flavored toddler formula. 
    Sorry!
  • Options
    imageRoxpup:
    imageIvana.Stolichnaya:

Not exactly.... there are a lot of extra vitamins, etc in those drinks. As far as sugar... let's put it in perspective

Pediasure (chocolate) 8 oz-  23g sugar

Whole milk 8oz-  16g sugar

OJ 8oz- 29g sugar

Mott's 100% Apple Juice 8oz- 58g sugar

Oops... my bad... should have said 8oz... i fixed it. ALL of the amounts were for 8oz

• Options
    imageBride2bMO:

Um...yeah, it's not INFANT formula.

Poor scrawny DS is under the supervision of a nutritionist and an occupational therapist for his poor eating (he is never hungry and extremely picky about what he DOES eat to boot) and they are A- OK with pediasure, in any flavor. At this stage of the game, we are just trying to avoid malnourishment...and if vanilla, chocolate or strawberry pediasure helps bridge the gap, who the eff cares?

FWIW, he was BF'd for 21 months, and I'm pretty sure that breastmilk is "sweeter" tasting than chocolate formula. And it's not like breastfed babies are doomed to have a wicked sweet tooth. ;) 

Hee....my first thought when I saw it was, "well, my kid's going to get a lot of chocolate-flavored milk from my breastmilk alone." Peanut butter, too. And most of Edy's slow-churned ice cream flavors. And the occasional cheeto.

• Options
    RoxpupRoxpup member
    imageLB_Momma:
    imageRoxpup:
    imageIvana.Stolichnaya:

Not exactly.... there are a lot of extra vitamins, etc in those drinks. As far as sugar... let's put it in perspective

Pediasure (chocolate) 16 oz-  23g sugar

Whole milk 16oz-  16g sugar

OJ 16oz- 29g sugar

Mott's 100% Apple Juice 16oz- 58g sugar

16 oz of chocolate pediasure has 46g of sugar, 8oz has 23g... i know other things that we drink and put into our bodies have lots of sugar, but it's funny to me that pediasure is formulated and made and has so much sugar (whereas apple juice, oj and milk all have natural sugars in them, and the difference here is that apple juice, oj and milk are not things that you supplement a cihld's entire diet with).

again, i'm not saying that i judge people who use pediasure, and if my cihld was starving himself, i'd give him anything to make sure he wasn't becoming ill or malnurished.

• Options
    I dont see the big deal about this.  I am sorry anyone who has a toddler that wont eat and needs some type of supplement this seems fine.  But then again my 2 yr old loves chocolate milk.  So another side eye from parents with toddlers to parents who dont even have kids yet. 
  • Options
    Roxpup, yes there is sugar, but it's the statement "it's mostly sugar" that made me bristle. My son drinks the vanilla fiber flavor, and one bottle has less sugar than a banana...but a lot more complete nutrients than a banana. I am defensive,,sorry. A lot of people judge parents of picky eaters, but we followed all the "rules" when introducing food. I just don't want people to think pediasure is junk--my nutritionist WANTS him to have it as a stop gap measure until he is a better eater.
  • Options
    imageRoxpup:
    imageLB_Momma:
    imageRoxpup:
    imageIvana.Stolichnaya:

OJ 16oz- 29g sugar

16 oz of chocolate pediasure has 46g of sugar, 8oz has 23g... i know other things that we drink and put into our bodies have lots of sugar, but it's funny to me that pediasure is formulated and made and has so much sugar (whereas apple juice, oj and milk all have natural sugars in them, and the difference here is that apple juice, oj and milk are not things that you supplement a cihld's entire diet with).

again, i'm not saying that i judge people who use pediasure, and if my cihld was starving himself, i'd give him anything to make sure he wasn't becoming ill or malnurished.

OOPs all of it should have said 8oz let me correct it... they were ALL 8oz!!!!

• Options

imagesourpatchkids:
    It is for toddlers...and I don't see anything wrong with it *shrugs*...

I agree.  I don't see an issue.

• Options
    imageRoxpup:
    imageLB_Momma:
    imageRoxpup:
    imageIvana.Stolichnaya:

OJ 16oz- 29g sugar

"you supplement a cihld's entire diet" - normally moms who give their kids this type of thing is for like once a day. Not like they are chugging down a 6 pack in a day... hehe. Did you now that the chewable vitamins have sugar in them too? ;)

• Options
    imageLB_Momma:

"you supplement a cihld's entire diet" - normally moms who give their kids this type of thing is for like once a day. Not like they are chugging down a 6 pack in a day... hehe. Did you now that the chewable vitamins have sugar in them too? ;)

So true.

And, to get all of the other nutrition that's in one bottle of Pediasure, they'd probably be eating just as much sugar or carbs from the "real" foods over the course of the day.  It's a concentrated source of vitamins and minerals, so it makes sense that the sugar level would be a little higher.

I am so not a fan of the whole "just you wait" mentality, but I can't help but LOL at the outrage about the sugar.

Bunny 05.2008//mc 9.2009//Bubba 07.2010//mc 10.2011//
    Bloggin' It
  • Options
    imageCoastieWife08:
    imageLB_Momma:

So true.

And, to get all of the other nutrition that's in one bottle of Pediasure, they'd probably be eating just as much sugar or carbs from the "real" foods over the course of the day.  It's a concentrated source of vitamins and minerals, so it makes sense that the sugar level would be a little higher.

I am so not a fan of the whole "just you wait" mentality, but I can't help but LOL at the outrage about the sugar.

exactly... I didn't want to say that either, but it is true.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"