January 2011 Moms

to call or not to call (the OB)

I feel like a nut job- anyone else with me? I fear that everytime I call my OB's office, they are probably rolling their eyes and saying, "first pregnancy!"

I already had issues right from the start, I had to cold turkey a bunch of meds, and had withdraw issues- but all the phone calls were initiated by my general practitioner wanting to have my OB on the same page for my treatment of withdraw. (I have struggled with anxiety for years, and I work in substance abuse treatment, so I knew when my withdraws warranted medical attention)

Then I had to go and be a super hero and try to catch a stay dog at my work, because it almost got hit by several cars.  Well, the little sucked took a big bite of my hand in the process, so I had to call and OK my anti-biotics and find out what happened if the dog had rabies.

Now, I am having occasional painful cramps.  Almost like constipation, but not in the right spot. I can't figure out if my organs are all just in the wrong places now, or if this is bad. I have no blood, not even a smidge of spotting.

My co-workers who have had kids keep urging me to call and make sure it's okay. But I really feel like I will be "that patient" if I call over possible constipation. It doesn't help my mental state that my best friend, who happened to have a due date three days behind me, went to the hospital yesterday and was having a miscarriage. I am almost positive that my mind is jumping to conclusions because of that. 

So...any advice?  Do I call just in case, or wait until something more serious happens (like bleeding)? 

Re: to call or not to call (the OB)

• I felt the same way about calling my Dr's office and they probably do have me labeled already but I don't care :)  You are your own advocate and my nurse has told my countless time to call whenever I want.  I've only called maybe 4 times since becoming PG but for someone who never goes to the Dr's it seemed like a lot.

As for the cramping, it's very normal, especially if you aren't hydrated.  Your nurse will probably tell you the same but it's always nice to hear it from a medical perspective :)

If they are really painful go ahead and give a call and who cares what they think :)

• Just call - who cares what they think of you. They are paid to take care of you and without you they'd be out of a job :)

Hope you feel better!

• Loading the player...
  • I would call if it will give you a little piece of mind. That's what the doctors office is there for. If you feel a little silly you could always make a little joke about getting to know the nurse really well in the next nine months or whatever but really I wouldn't worry about it. You have been calling for valid reasons and I'm sure they will understand. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Cramping is very common in early pregnancy.

If it makes you feel better, call. That's what you pay them for. They'll either tell you it's fine, or have you come in, take your money, and then still tell you it's fine. Either way, you'll feel better. Smile

Unless you're bleeding or the pain is very sharp and to one side, anything else is completely normal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cramps in early pregnancy are really normal.  What may feel like constipation but 'not in the right spot' might actually be just that - movement and gas get VERY painful in pregnancy as your organs move around to fit baby.  Some of the worst cramps I've had this pregnancy have been about 10 mins before a BM and I'm not even constipated.  

My advice is to drink 2-3 large glasses of water and give it time. If it starts to feel just as bad or rose than menstrual cramps and it last more than an hour call. 

• I feel hesitant to call the doctor because I don't want to be a pain, but I'm trying to work on that during my pregnancy and learn to stand up for myself and my baby.

I haven't had reason to call yet, but if and when I do, I'm going to. The doctor works for you. Part of their job is to field calls from mothers. It doesn't matter if they roll their eyes and think you're a hypochondriac. Who cares what they think? It's better to call over nothing than to not call over something major that could have been prevented or helped if you had called sooner.

Think of it this way, OBs are treating a condition that is not an illness or disease. Unlike, say an internist, cardiologist or oncologist, their appointments involve seeing someone just to make sure everything is progressing normally. That means that a huge part of what they do is taking calls to help moms at home deal with questions and concerns. So you aren't bothering them, you're just using their service as it was meant to be used. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Calling your OB never hurts and who cares if they are rolling their eyes.  They have definitely dealt with way crazier pregnant ladies than you.  I wanted to ask if they gave you a tetanus shot after that dog bite.  If you haven't had one within the last 5 years, you should definitely get one.  Also are they holding the dog in quarantine for 2 weeks or testing it for rabies?  Because they can't test a live dog, they have to sample its brain.  If they are holding in quarantine I would just get treated for rabies.  Scary I know. 

A smidge of spotting is not usually something to be concerned about, but I always call my OB with spotting just to see if they want to see me.  Sometimes things like UTIs or yeast infections can cause spotting and they may want to test you for those things.

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • imageKC_13:

Cramping is very common in early pregnancy.

If it makes you feel better, call. That's what you pay them for. They'll either tell you it's fine, or have you come in, take your money, and then still tell you it's fine. Either way, you'll feel better. Smile

Unless you're bleeding or the pain is very sharp and to one side, anything else is completely normal.

This exactly. Have you also picked up What to Expect When You're Expecting? That book has put my mind at ease and answers so many questions.

• I agree, if you are even a little bit nervous, just call :) It's their job to answer any questions you may have, and I'd rather know just in case!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageizzourclue:

Calling your OB never hurts and who cares if they are rolling their eyes.  They have definitely dealt with way crazier pregnant ladies than you.  I wanted to ask if they gave you a tetanus shot after that dog bite.  If you haven't had one within the last 5 years, you should definitely get one.  Also are they holding the dog in quarantine for 2 weeks or testing it for rabies?  Because they can't test a live dog, they have to sample its brain.  If they are holding in quarantine I would just get treated for rabies.  Scary I know. 

A smidge of spotting is not usually something to be concerned about, but I always call my OB with spotting just to see if they want to see me.  Sometimes things like UTIs or yeast infections can cause spotting and they may want to test you for those things.

• Argh, my reply went away!!!  Anyways, the dog is being held for two weeks supposedly. The dog had a current rabies tag and a current county license, but no owner information. It was a cute little yappy dog, it had a nice collar and was so skinny it must have been lost for several days or weeks. Once I got it in my car and stuck some food and water in the backseat, it ate and fell asleep. 

I took it to animal control/humane society, and filed the bite report that is mandatory in our county. I was lucky, I work in a homeless shelter that has a free clinic, and our nurse practitioner came out to look at me. She said I am good on my shots, and all I needed was the antibiotic. She cleaned me up and said I didn't need stitches. She is employed by our health department, and said she can easily follow up with infectious disease (who handles all animal bites). Part of my job is working on an grant that provides HIV testing and education- so I work closely with the HD's infectious disease people also. They will give me a call on Friday, which will be the end of the 10-day observation of the dog for rabies.

According to animal control, the dog didn't appear a harm to anyone, once it realized I was not going to hurt it, it loved me!  They said if no one came to claim it after the 10 day quarentine, it could be adopted out.  So I feel good that the dog didn't get put down either! 

• Call! Ease that pretty little mind of yours. I too had strange cramping which was real minor...  your uterus grows 1,000 times it's normal size and it is common to have some cramping as it expands to make room for baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"