2nd Trimester

Whats your husbands work schedule?

My DH is thinking about changing his schedule at work to the morning shift which is from 4am-12:30 pm.  I am wondering if this might be a good idea with a baby so he can be home more, and I can have more flexibility with my part-time work schedule (since we don't want to do daycare)  Right now he works Noon-8:30pm.  I know he would have to go to bed super early, but at least he would be home during the day and evening. 

For those of you with husbands on crazy schedules, what do you find works best with your family?  TIA!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Whats your husbands work schedule?

• My h works 12 a - 8 a which is a premium shift and we make it work.  I know once our baby is a little older that he'll be able to spend some time with her in the morning before he goes to bed and then spend time and have dinner with us in the evening.  The hard part will be at the beginning when I'm on my own at night while he's at work.
  • It's different on any given day.  On average he's out of town 6 months out of the year.  When he's in town he can sometimes work a normal 8-4:30 or he can be working later hours or even over night. 

It sucks but it works for us.  I've managed to do just fine with 1 kid and with any luck I'll manage to do just fine with 2.

• Loading the player...
  • With my DH's schedule flexibility (on my part) is a must.  He is in IT sales but doesnt have an office he has to be at.  So if he's not at a client he's home working.  But meetings and overnight trips can come up last minute (we are lucky to have 7-10 days notice for overnights).  I'm a SAHM but its tricky because if I make an appt (hair, dr, etc) a month or more in advance there is no guarantee he will be home/available for DS.  Luckily I have my parents and sister but I have to make sure to schedule everything in the evening to make sure someone is home from work/school in case DH isnt
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Keep in mind too, with that kind of schedule you will have little to no help at night, and is he going to want to sleep/nap when he gets home from work?
  • LCB34LCB34 member

My husband technically works and 8-5 (well really 7-4) job.  But, he manages a global team and work in a business critical IT group.  It is always "core business hours" somewhere in the world meaning his work cell never stops ringing.

Also, if anything breaks, at any time, he gets called to manage the incident. 

I've just learned to go with the flow and realize that this phase of his career will pass.  I am dreading fitting his schedule into a child's routine.

I am imagining many night where I am on my own dealing with the baby after a long day of work myself.  But, we have decided that his career, and income, are vital to our standard of living and we will suck it up until he moves into a new role.

• Well...right now DH works 24 hour shifts. We have no control over his schedule unless he switches departments, but most are the same schedule (he's a firefighter). 

Currently, he's on one, off one until he works 3 days. Then off 4. It sucks not having him here those three days/nights, but having him home for 4 days straight is awesome.

Our current plan is to pay for full time daycare, but only have LO in there on the 3 days he works. If he gets called in for OT and has to stay late, we still have coverage.

His previous work was a police officer and he is thinking about going back to that. In that case, his schedule will SUCK. It is a rotating shift every three weeks where he works, days, then evenings, then midnights in 3 week increments. I hate it....so NOT family friendly at all. We wouldn't see him for 3 weeks straight when he works evenings because of when he'd go in and when I get home from work except for his days off.  

• 3p.m. to 2a.m. M-Th. This is difficult because he works so late it's obviously difficult for him to get up early. So I really don't work very long days unless it's Fri-Sun.
  • DH works 7-4 and whenever the Army calls! we've learned to live with it, its not always easy but it makes me appreciate the days he is home by 4 to help out.

• DH is a golf pro. He has four months off in the winter(he'll be a SAHD then). During the summer, he works 60-70 hours a week with one day off a week(usually a Monday). It sucks, because I'm a teacher, so I have July and August off.  Some days he has the morning off, some days he has the afternoon off, most days he works dawn to dusk. It stinks:( I should be used to it, but I'm not. He's been doing it for 9 years(we've been together for 9)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My husband is a software engineer for the federal government and tactical defense system and his schedule varies throughout the year, depending on the project at hand. He does travel several times a year, anywhere from 3 days to a week at a time. When he is not traveling, his work schedule is 9 hours a day, with every other Friday off. If he has to take time off, they let him make it up, though. (Plus he gets a ton of vacation time)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • oh wow, quite the schedual! lol my boyfriend work for PNR railways this summer for 10 days on (out of town) and 4 days off so hes not home very often lol this should be interesting when the baby comes but keep on truckin and do my best i suppose:)
  • 10 pm - 6 am, sun-thurs  it kind of sucks because we don't even get to sleep together and we just got married in March.  It will be nice when the baby gets here because he's used to being up at night (he stays on the same schedule on the weekends)  so I can pump bottles and he can take the nightshift on nights he's home.  He can also take the early mornings when he first gets home.  That's our plan so far. 

4:30 am -12:30 pm sounds like a nice schedule.  I bet you once you get into a routine it would be really nice.  DH used to work 6 am - 4 pm mon - thurs he had a 3 day weekend every weekend it was really nice, he did have to go to bed by 8 pm each night, but I liked it better than the nightshift. 

• imagemlc92404:
    Keep in mind too, with that kind of schedule you will have little to no help at night, and is he going to want to sleep/nap when he gets home from work?

Yeah I thought about that. I guess thats something he would have to figure out.  I am not so much worried about the night time alone part, I am more concerned with how much time he will see me and the baby.  Which, on his current schedule, it wouldn't be much.  He is gone from 11am til 9pm with travel time.  Thats pretty much the whole day and evening.  Either way, we will just have to make it work.

Thanks for all the responses!!

• DH is a police officer who will most likely be working a rotating (4 days on/4 days of)f the 3pm - 3am shift after the baby is born. Luckily we will have his schedule 6 months - 12 months out and have found a Daycare Center that will work around his days off.  I work Mon - Fri, 7am - 4pm so most likely will do the drop offs/pick ups which I don't mind since the center is about 2 blocks from our house.
  • imageVRS10:

10 pm - 6 am, sun-thurs  it kind of sucks because we don't even get to sleep together and we just got married in March.  It will be nice when the baby gets here because he's used to being up at night (he stays on the same schedule on the weekends)  so I can pump bottles and he can take the nightshift on nights he's home.  He can also take the early mornings when he first gets home.  That's our plan so far. 

4:30 am -12:30 pm sounds like a nice schedule.  I bet you once you get into a routine it would be really nice.  DH used to work 6 am - 4 pm mon - thurs he had a 3 day weekend every weekend it was really nice, he did have to go to bed by 8 pm each night, but I liked it better than the nightshift. 

I agree, I think it would take some getting used to, but it seems like he would be around a lot more.  With just the 2 of us, the current schedule is just fine. A baby adds a whole craziness to the mix!

• he doesn't really have a schedule, he works a lot. 9-whenever he gets home. then most often works from home at night. travels quite a bit and works weekends sometimes. Hey someone has to pay the bills to live in the bay area!
  • Husbands in the Army so its never the same. Usually its mon-fri he leaves at like 5 am - 6 pm, but at times he can have what they call CQ & its a 24 hr shift every so often. But he never has it anymore. But if he is in the field he goes away from anywhere for like a few days to a month or two. Then of course the year deployments to Iraq when they deploy.
  • Mine works a different shift everyday, but it's always a 10 hour shift with a half hour commute each way. It looks like this:

Sunday: 9a-7p

Monday: off

Tuesday: off

Wednesday: 1:30p-11:30p

Thursday: 10a-8p

Friday: 11a-9p

Saturday: 9a-7p

It doesn't work for us at all. I hardly get to see him as it is, then once the baby comes, I'm afraid he won't get to see him/her at all =( 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageallison*marie*foster:

Mine works a different shift everyday, but it's always a 10 hour shift with a half hour commute each way. It looks like this:

Sunday: 9a-7p

Monday: off

Tuesday: off

Wednesday: 1:30p-11:30p

Thursday: 10a-8p

Friday: 11a-9p

Saturday: 9a-7p

It doesn't work for us at all. I hardly get to see him as it is, then once the baby comes, I'm afraid he won't get to see him/her at all =( 

Sounds a lot like ours. My husband is off Wed and Thurs.  Thankfully I can be flexible with my schedule so we can at least have the later night and days off together. Sometimes it stinks.

• Mine is boring.  He's a 8-5 guy.  Longer if there's projects.  He's a desk jockey.
  • Right now H works FT 7a-3p.  He's changing to a PT job and working 3p-11p.  We think that will work better for him to take care of the baby and I can always leave work early if need be on the days he has to work.
  • Wow...I almost hate to say this.  DH gets to make his own schedule daily.  He works for Microsoft and the only time he has to be in the office at a specific time is for high priority meetings which usually only happen every couple of months.  DH also has the option of working from home if something else is going on, he just sends an email and let's them know that morning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My husband has a great schedule! He works 4 10 hour shifts at the hospital (6 to 4:30), and then teaches for a few hours two days a week at a local university.  It does suck that he has to work at least two weekends a month with this schedule because he essentially works six days a week, but I love the fact that he is home by 5pm every single night. 

C is 3 years old

• DH owns a pharmacy so he works 28 hours per week as a pharmacist and then however many hours per week that are needed for administrative duties and meetings and crap (he gets called in for every little thing...most days he ends up at the store for at least an hour).  His pharmacist shifts are either 8am-3pm, 3pm-10pm or 8am-10pm (he works the entire weekend, 14 hours per day, every other weekend).  The plus side is he makes his own schedule, the down side is he has to be available all the time.  If another pharmacist calls in sick, he has to be ready to step in.  And he can't just leave at the drop of a hat (or the break of my water!), because there has to be a pharmacist on site for the store to be open.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JDOJDO member

My husband works a normal schedule, normally 8am-5pm Monday-Friday. It's me that has the odd hours.

I have an option of 3 shifts, and we chose a shift for the whole year. I could work 7am-2:30pm, 2:30pm-10pm, or 10pm-7am. I also work weekends 50% of the time and have them off 50% of the time.

I'm debating which shift to bid for. Midnights are my last option because they are hard for me. If I work days, LO will be in daycare the most hours, but we'll have family time together every night. If I work evenings, we'll still need daycare but much less time every day, but we'll rarely have time together as a whole family.

It's a tough choice, but I'm leaning towards working days and trying to work more weekends so we'll only use daycare 3 days a week instead of 5. People are almost always willing to let you work weekends for them, so it should work out well.

• DH is currently a medicine resident so he works 10-12 hour days with one 24 hour period off per week (this can be from 8pm on Friday to 8pm on Saturday...so not really an entire day off).  Every 6th day he has to work a 30 hour shift and stay the night at the hospital.

When he gets out of residency he will only work every other week.  The week that he works it will be 12 hour shifts everyday for 7 days and then the next 7 days completely off.

I work 7-4 most days (excluding month-end) so that is much better for LO's schedule.  I also plan on staying at home after he finishes residency.

• We barely make our hours work and I constantly feel like Im being pulled by a string and it could break any second. But somehow it always works for us, as my job is a bit more lienient. DH work 5am-3:30pm 4 days a week. I work 4-10 5 days a week. Thankfully we both live not 2 miles from our jobs or else we would have to be worried about the commute!
  • DH is a full time firefighter so he works 24 on and 48 off. But then too you never know when his pager is going to go off and him get called outto go to a fire or a bad wreck.  I work 8:30 - 5:30 5 days a weeks.  But with DH's schedule it will come in handy when Emily arrives b/c the days he is off work he will be staying with Emily while I go to work.  And the days we are both working his grandmother will be watching her.
  • My s/o is a police officer and he works different shifts every 3 weeks so there is no stabilty or reliabilty there. But we make it work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"