2nd Trimester
Options

WDYT?

No offense to anyone who does this but I always find it a little weird when people do thinks like choose "CharliesMomma" as their SN on websites or have a FB profile pic that is of their child only.  Have your kid IN the picture if you want but you don't cease to exist because you're a parent.  Now I don't have kids so who knows, maybe I'll change that way but I always felt the same way about pets and when I got my dog I didn't start putting her pic as my FB profile picture either.  And my u/s pic is not my profile pic either.  It happens to be a picture of me with a baby bump.

Does anyone else think it's weird when parents seem to lose their identity when they have kids?  Or will I overnight become "Brendan's Mom" (or whatever the eff we name him ha ha) once LO is born?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: WDYT?

• Options

As an "older" mom to be - I'll be 41 in August - I'm in complete agreement with you.  I think most people will say, "Oh! You're Stacey's daughter" rather than the other way around.

• Options
    I guess I don't see it as losing your identity. ?Once you have a child, that child becomes the center of your life (if you are a good parent anyway). ?There is nothing I wouldn't do for my child, and I never stop thinking about him. ?I don't think I've lost my identity as Evenstar622 just because I am also Sammy's mom.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do. But then again, I consider a lot of parents today to be slaves to their children as well, so the name goes right along with that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think I am in the minority as I like it when people do this.  I know what my friends and family looks like, but it is nice to see what the kids look like growing up.  My family all lives in MI and I live in WI so I don't get to see them all the time.  I like that they put up pics of their kids.  DH feels the same way that you do though.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I completely agree. It is a pet peeve of mine to put your child's picture as your profile pic on FB.

It is YOUR profile, put a picture of YOU as the profile picture!

• Options
    If I have a particularly cute picture of Ethan I'll put it up, if I have a nice picture of me then that one will go up.  It's whatever Im feeling at the time, but even though I do put pictures of Ethan up as my profile pic I do NOT feel as if I am losing my identity.  Though in honestly when I became a parent my identity did change, I no longer just looked out for me and I am not the most important thing in my life anymore, he is.  I AM Ethan's mom, but I am still Sandy as well, the two can co-exist.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
  • Options

I agree with the PP who say that adding a child to your life is "expanding" your identity, not replacing it.I own my own business and I am the face of that business and having a child will not change that. It can't -- not if I intend to support my child!

Personally, I wouldn't put my baby's picture up on the internet (no, not even the so-called "privacy" of facebook, especially with their abhorrent privacy record!) This is also why I don't have my own picture on my profile. I'm too much of a privacy freak. Yes, I know that if someone REALLY wants to find out my identity they can put together all my posts and all the different things I've said and probably figure out who I am, but... I'm doing the best I can. But to each his own. I know people in my industry that use their children for promotional purposes an they do so very wisely and well, and I respect that. But I am undecided on this -- and my husband, who is even more of a privacy freak than I, gets a say in that as well. What I really don't want to do is post anything about my child that becomes permanent record on the internet and that her classmates can use to ridicule her with later. 

• Options

I'm torn on this topic....on the one hand, I totally agree that my identity should always remain Monica. It bugs me when people refer to me as "_____'s wife" or Mrs. Husband'sFirstName LastName. I'm not Mrs. "John Smith." I'm Monica! Same with being a mom - I'm not Gabi's mom, I'm Monica!

However. The pride you feel in your child is beyond anything I imagined and so sometimes, yes, I have my FB profile pic as a pic of my DD.  Yet, I would never have my screen name be "Gabi'sMommy" or any other sort of variation. My identity is still me, Monica - who happens to also be a Mommy. 

If any of that makes sense... Wink

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"