Working Moms

WWYD about this situation?

If you found out there had been an accident at your daycare several weeks earlier where a young toddler had been burned by a hot liquid.  The details don't really add up (there are conflicting stories about where the hot liquid was and where the child was at the time, regardless hot liquid shouldn't have been around the child and I can't figure out how they had anything *that* hot in the school), the parent was notified but wasn't made aware of the severity of the situation.  The child was in pain for an hour before she came to get him vs. them telling her to come right away or calling 911.  The child ended up spending almost a week in the hospital.

Would you take your children out?  Would you if your kids were preschoolers already?  Do you think that accidents sometimes just happen? 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12

Re: WWYD about this situation?

• Yes, I would take my child out of that daycare. They were negligent in the care of that child and in their response. I wouldn't trust them.
  • There is no way I'd keep my DS there. I'd worry about his safety in that type of environment. If I were you, I'd definitely withdraw your DCs ASAP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • I would take Jake out.

I understand that accidents can happen, but the lack of details and explanations make me think cover up and I wouldn't trust them.

Also, WTF! They let her wait an hour. That right there is a huge red flag. I would expect an immediate call.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekatie_cj@hotmail.com:

I would take Jake out.

I understand that accidents can happen, but the lack of details and explanations make me think cover up and I wouldn't trust them.

Also, WTF! They let her wait an hour. That right there is a huge red flag. I would expect an immediate call.

This. 

• Accidents sometimes happen but you have to alert the parent immediately.  That is inexcusable.  I wouldn't feel comfortable with my child there.  I might even report it to the state licensing authority or whatever.  

Ok Edit - Ok I re-read and it seems the DC did alert the parent immediately.  I guess it is possible the providers didn't know how serious it was at the time?  In that case, I would ask for a full explanation of everything that happened, making sure it DID all make sense, then decide whether to pull my kid out.   

• imagesarahbear:
    Yes, I would take my child out of that daycare. They were negligent in the care of that child and in their response. I wouldn't trust them.

Well said.

imagetrackchik6:

Accidents sometimes happen but you have to alert the parent immediately.  That is inexcusable.  I wouldn't feel comfortable with my child there.  I might even report it to the state licensing authority or whatever.  

Ok Edit - Ok I re-read and it seems the DC did alert the parent immediately.  I guess it is possible the providers didn't know how serious it was at the time?  In that case, I would ask for a full explanation of everything that happened, making sure it DID all make sense, then decide whether to pull my kid out.   

I disagree.  If the kid had to spend a week in the hospital, I find it hard to believe that the severity wasn't evident.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would say that accidents happen, but I wouldn't like the fact that they made her wait an hour.  That would worry me, and I would find another daycare.
  • Not only were they negligent, but they were unprepared in how to handle an emergency too.  First, I'd call the licensing board to make sure they were aware, and let them do their own investigation to find out if there are any violations.  Second, I'd start looking for alternative care but not move until you have something else set up.  But yeah, I'd be outta there as soon as possible.  Two strikes in my book, even if the first was an accident, not owning up to it and leaving that child in pain for an hour is unacceptable.
  • Scary! I would have a frank talk with the director tomorrow, get the details, and go from there. Trust your gut. If the answers don't add up, switch daycares. If the kid had to spend a WEEK in the hospital, that's a big deal. What kind of liquid was it, and how did it get spilled, and what are they doing yo make sure this doesn't happen again???
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Accidents happen - even bad accidents - but the fact that you can't get a straight story would REALLY bother me - I think the DC should be explaining to all the parents what happened and why and how they will prevent it in the future.  I would ask one more time and if you are still uncomfortable I'd pull my LO.
  • We had a bad situation where a kid was left outside (actually my son's best friend) by herself for 10 minutes (at age 2).  Thankfully she didn't get hurt, but the director did let go the teachers who were responsible at the time (there were 3) and she did inform the parents about what happened at a director-parent conference about 3 weeks after it happened.  I think I'd decide whether to keep my kids there based on how the school dealt with it because I do think accidents happen (and even for a burn a week in the hospital is a lot so the kid could have developed an infection or whatever).  But if the school is not taking responsibility and steps to make sure it doesn't happen again, then I'd be wary of leaving my kids there.  I would confront the director and ask for the whole story. 
  • I agree with the confronting them and going with your gut. It is bizarre that they are trying to cover things up, but it is to protect the privacy of the child for example?  (although I know in my gossip-y daycare that's not likely LOL).  A burn could have gotten infected leading to the long stay over something that didn't look taht bad for example, BUT the lack of communication, etc is worrying.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I can picture a kid grabbing a cup of coffee off a high shelf, etc. (not good, obviously, but I wouldn't take DD out of daycare for that.)  But not calling 911 or parents for an hour, yeah, I'd take her out b/c of that part.
  • Like so many have said, accidents happen. Especially when young children are involved. Kids can get hurt and in trouble faster than you can blink. We actually have a nanny, and I have some home to find DS with bruises and scrapes that weren't there when I left him in the am. The nanny usually tells me right when I walk in the door what happened, and if she is worried about it after it happens, she calls me on my cell and explains what happened and how bad she thinks it is so I can decide if I need to come home.

I wouldn't be upset that an accident happened. Burns can get infected very easily. But, it would have to be a fairly bad burn to get that infected for a weeks stay in a hospital. 

So, like everyone else, what would worry me would be that they aren't giving all the parents all the details. Perhaps this daycare has called and exaggerated illnesses/accidents to this parent before and the PARENT made the decision to not pick up the child right away thinking this one another incident like that. Before pulling your child out, I would make sure you have the FACTS and BOTH sides of the story... you'll have to judge the rest for yourself.

• Licensed child care providers are required to have in place protocols to deal with all kinds of emergency situations, whether it's an accident with one child or a fire, flood, etc. In this case, the emergency response would depend on the severity of the injury. I agree that there shouldn't have been an exposure to anything hot enough to cause a burn. In any instance, staff members in a licensed program should be trained to recognize burns (which can start looking mild and progress) and to provide appropriate care. If the parent couldn't get to the center within a very short period of time, the child should have been transported to the nearest burn center as per program/licensing protocol. While your program may not be able to give you the specifics of what happened to another child (privacy issues), they certainly should address with the entire community the generalities of what happened and how the situation was resolved. If they didn't handle this correctly, I think it's a legitimate concern for you to discuss their emergency plans.
  • I would ask to see any paperwork from the state regarding this accident and any surprise inspections they had as a result. See how they react. They probably won't show you much, if this even has been reported. There is no reason that hot liquid should have been near a toddler. Someone was very negligent. No way in hell my child would be in a place like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"