Natural Birth

Birthing From Within

My husband and I are expecting our first baby in November and are currently in the process of interviewing doulas. One of the doulas we have interviewed recommends Birthing From Within, which I'm not as familiar with as compared to other methods like Bradley or Hypnobabies. I've picked up the Birthing From Within book, but I was hoping for some personal insight from anyone who might have used the approach for a natural birth.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Birthing From Within

• I haven't given birth yet, but I have read this book and really liked it. I think that it has some great techniques, that you could use alone or in conjunction with some other method.
  • I didn't do any one particular method but read a ton.  Birthing From Within was my favorite and very helpful in getting me in the right mindset.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJellyMama:
    I didn't do any one particular method but read a ton.  Birthing From Within was my favorite and very helpful in getting me in the right mindset.

same here - i liked the book and i never planned on having a 'specific method'.  i have to admit, i skipped some of the front stuff.  i can't even remember what all it was about (it's been 3 years since i've read it), but i think it had to do w/painting your belly and other stuff.   

• Read the whole thing and found a few techniques that seem like they will work for me.  But I am also drawing from the Bradley Method and Hypnobirthing I read about. It's great that you have a lot to time to for L&D.  I just hired a doula a few weeks ago and started learning these birthing techniques.  Can't wait to meet LO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the good input, ladies.

• I hated that book!  Maybe the classes are better, but I was really turned off by the focus on "birth art".  I felt like the book was aimed a little too much at the hippy crowd.
  • imagedrakee:
    I hated that book!  Maybe the classes are better, but I was really turned off by the focus on "birth art".  I felt like the book was aimed a little too much at the hippy crowd.

This, kinda.  I didn't hate it, and there were a few useful sections, but it was a little on the crunchy side for me.  I prefered the HypnoBirthing book (Mongan Method) and Dr. Bradley's book.

• I'm currently reading it and thought it would be really "hippy-like" but it's started a really great train of thought for me and helped me focus on the internal things going on with me rather than just external (we're doing bradley so there's a lot of focus on physical exercise, nutrition, etc.) 

While I don't think I will be drawing my version of myself or birth (I suck at art) it has made me start to journal some of my questions about myself and whatnot, which I appreciate.  

On another note, my friend who had an AMAZING all-natural birth read it and highly recommended it to me as one of her favorites.  Which is why I'm reading it.  

Lilypie - (YBLf)

Lilypie - (Cfah)
    image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"">
  • I really liked this book. While some of it needs to be taken with a grain of salt if things like "Birth Art" don't appeal to you. In general, I think it was very insightful and I liked that it didn't bash other types of deliveries. I think the methods for pain management it provided were excellent and fully intend to add them to my arsenal:)
  • We chose hypnobirthing as our "method" of choice if you will, and our doula was also well versed in hypnobirthing. But a few days before I went into labor, one of her family members passed away and I used her back up for my birth. She uses Birthing From Within, and I found her help during labor to be much different. When I got out of my hypnobirthing zone, she didn't know how to help me get back in the deep relaxation and instead suggested I vocalize and other things. It all worked out fine, but I would have much prefered to have a doula there who could have used hypnobirthing techniques to help me. I don't know if that helps you, and I am not saying the techniques can't mix, but because I wasn't familiar with BFW, I didn't really find the techniques helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"