2nd Trimester

What??

Last night DH and I were talking about names. He said if we have a boy then his middle name has to be Edward because his grandpa, dad, and brother all have that name. (All the first born sons get the same middle name). This was my expression: Tongue Tied I told him Edward is a perfectly fine name for my fictional vampire husband, but not for LO. So, he kind of insisted that this is the "way" it works in his family. I'm not at all happy about it. It's just NMS.

I hate to hurt his feelings, but I'm going to have to stand firm so I don't cringe everytime I mention my LOs name!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
my read shelf:
Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: What??

• My DH's family has a similar tradition for first-born sons but it is for first AND middle name. I'm not a huge fan of the name but it's also not horrible I guess. We talked about this long before we started trying for a baby though and I agreed that since it's important to him we will do it.

Why didn't your DH bring it up sooner? Also, IMO I don't think it's that bad to have a family middle name that you aren't crazy about.

• I've heard of this being done in other families. 

A.  Pick your battles

B.  Edward was in the family long before Twilight was ever written

*shrugs*

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Lie: tell him Edward is a terrible connection-name for you...tell him some little kid named Edward growing up used to make fun of you all the time.  Or that your evil ex is named Edward (you never mentioned him before because it is just too darn painful for you.)

Man I am a biitch today.

• My DH wanted our LO to be a jr if it was a boy...BARF. I told him I have been thinking of baby names since I was 12 years old and I'm not about to settle on something as unoriginal as your name with a jr tacked on the end!

I met him in the middle (literally) by saying the middle name could be his middle name. Its Aaron so I like it.

• Honestly, If it's just the middle name I would let him choose. In the real world no one ever really knows your middle name unless you tell them or they see some official document. Our son's middle name will be Paul just like DH. I'm not crazy about it, but it means something to my husband and actually sounds really good with the first and last name too!
  • told him Edward is a perfectly fine name for my fictional vampire husband, but not for LO.

Too funny lol

But being the middle name I dont think its that big a deal lets be honest how many people really use their middle name. If its that important to him I would let him and use it as leverage for later on :-)

• imagelilmgirl:

I've heard of this being done in other families. 

A.  Pick your battles

B.  Edward was in the family long before Twilight was ever written

*shrugs*

I agree with this especially since it's a middle name. 

• It's only a middle name. Let him have this one. When you mention your kid's name, would you really say firstname middlename? Or just "This is my son, firstname"?
  • If the only reason you don't like it is because I twilight I wouldn't be so bothered by because in a couple of years no one is going to care about twilight or even remember that the character's name was Edward. 

Your husband reason for wanting it is more meaningful than your reason for not wanting it and it is just a middle name. 

"Seriously, it’s like we’re the velociraptors at the end of Jurassic Park circling our prey, and then the Bumpie tyrannosaurs come in and tear some **** up. Except instead of killing us, they eat Joseph Mazzello."-GOMI
  • imagedjfacemachine:

My DH's family has a similar tradition for first-born sons but it is for first AND middle name. I'm not a huge fan of the name but it's also not horrible I guess. We talked about this long before we started trying for a baby though and I agreed that since it's important to him we will do it.

Why didn't your DH bring it up sooner? Also, IMO I don't think it's that bad to have a family middle name that you aren't crazy about.

Good question...he's mentioned it a couple of times but not in a way that made me think he was going to do it!

my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imageJenZuanich:

Lie: tell him Edward is a terrible connection-name for you...tell him some little kid named Edward growing up used to make fun of you all the time.  Or that your evil ex is named Edward (you never mentioned him before because it is just too darn painful for you.)

Man I am a biitch today.

LMAO! This may be what I'm forced to do!

my read shelf:
  • imageKimber314:
    Honestly, If it's just the middle name I would let him choose. In the real world no one ever really knows your middle name unless you tell them or they see some official document. Our son's middle name will be Paul just like DH. I'm not crazy about it, but it means something to my husband and actually sounds really good with the first and last name too!

Agreed.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • imageKimber314:
    Honestly, If it's just the middle name I would let him choose. In the real world no one ever really knows your middle name unless you tell them or they see some official document. Our son's middle name will be Paul just like DH. I'm not crazy about it, but it means something to my husband and actually sounds really good with the first and last name too!
    I agree with this...if it was a first name I might think differently..but it's a middle name and it means something to your husband...I wouldn't fight my DH if he had his heart set on continuing this tradition...
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I've earned $55 in Amazon gift cards just for using the swagbucks search engine...ready to start earning free stuff? Click my referral link below!

Search & Win
  • That's a toughy but if you don't like the name you shouldn't have to use it.
  • imageConnys1976:

told him Edward is a perfectly fine name for my fictional vampire husband, but not for LO.

Too funny lol

But being the middle name I dont think its that big a deal lets be honest how many people really use their middle name. If its that important to him I would let him and use it as leverage for later on :-)

This. And also, it could totally be worse. If we have a boy, he will have my husbands middle name; Vaclav. 

• Also, if anyone gives you crap about Edward being from Twilight, look at them all confused and say, "What do you mean? We named him after Edward Ferrars, Elinor Dashwood's beau in Sense and Sensibility."

• I don't like the name. But if he truly has his heart set on it then I will probably do it for him. It's just weird that he never acted like it was a big deal, now all of a sudden it is...I guess he's just been thinking about it lately. I'm thinking his daddy is probably putting the pressure on...lol
    my read shelf:
  • imagepiecesofflare:
    It sounds like it's his brother's responsibility to carry on the tradition.  Not your husband's.

Not if the brother hasn't had a son yet. 

• imagejessie395:

Last night DH and I were talking about names. He said if we have a boy then his middle name has to be Edward because his grandpa, dad, and brother all have that name. (All the first born sons get the same middle name). This was my expression: Tongue Tied I told him Edward is a perfectly fine name for my fictional vampire husband, but not for LO. So, he kind of insisted that this is the "way" it works in his family. I'm not at all happy about it. It's just NMS.

I hate to hurt his feelings, but I'm going to have to stand firm so I don't cringe everytime I mention my LOs name!

I don't even think of Twilight when I hear Edward... and Twilight is just a fad, that when your LO is born/starts school/etc... no one will even be talking about it anymore I'm sure.  Edward is a great name :) And it's tradition... plus how often do you use a middle name anyways?  I'd use it.

• imageJenZuanich:

Lie: tell him Edward is a terrible connection-name for you...tell him some little kid named Edward growing up used to make fun of you all the time.  Or that your evil ex is named Edward (you never mentioned him before because it is just too darn painful for you.)

Man I am a biitch today.

LOL...Good idea...I Like that!

• imagepiecesofflare:
    imageQueso:

imagepiecesofflare:
    It sounds like it's his brother's responsibility to carry on the tradition.  Not your husband's.

Not if the brother hasn't had a son yet. 

Don't most families pass it down through the first son?  There's a name tradition on my dad's side of the family, where Joe* names his first born son Joe who names his first born son Joe.  It's not a generation thing, it's passed through that lineage.  So when my uncle Joe didn't have kids, it broke the line.  Bob and George weren't obligated to name their first born sons Joe just because Uncle Joe didn't have any kids, because the tradition wasn't passed to them.

*not really Joe

You could be right. I assumed it was the first boy per generation.  So if the oldest boy didn't have a son and the second boy did, the second boy's son would have that name. 

• As someone else said, pick your battles. When I was pregnant with my son, I spent more time thinking about his middle name than his first name, and NO ONE ever asks what his middle name is.
  • 1. It's a middle name.  The masses will only hear it when you are mad at your kid. 

2. Edward is really not that bad a name, regardless of the fact the Twilight is stupid.

Chill.

Sadie is not impressed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "This ribbon has been reported." - lovesnina
  • I think if this was an issue with him he should have mentioned it before having kids. 

Not that you wouldn't marry the guy because of it, but then you could have had time to come to terms with the fact that your LO will have the middle name Edward.

• My sister (the world's biggest Twilight freak) wants me to name my baby Jacob. It's hard to explain to a teenage why this is a bad idea.

Thanks God my parents didn't give me this opportunity when my little brother was born, he probably would have been Vanilla Ice Hale. How mortifying for both of us.

• imageSweetSweetHam:
    As someone else said, pick your battles. When I was pregnant with my son, I spent more time thinking about his middle name than his first name, and NO ONE ever asks what his middle name is.

I'll bite! What's his middle name?

• In my opinion if the kid gets the father's last name then the mother gets to pick out the name (first and middle) and the father only has veto rights if he hates the name the mother picks out.  In no case does he have the right to demand a name.
  • imageConnys1976:

told him Edward is a perfectly fine name for my fictional vampire husband, but not for LO.

Too funny lol

This Wink

My DH wanted Christopher somewhere in the baby's name.  While I'm not the biggest fan, I agreed because it was important to DH since his BFF is a Christopher.  I got to pick the first name (that we agreed on).

Since we're having a girl, I was hell-bent on having Grace somewhere in her name.  DH picked the first name and Grace is her middle name.  We're both happy with our choice. 

• imagepiecesofflare:

Yeah I though so too, but his brother had a daughter and then he had a vasectomy so if all goes as planned he won't have anymore. But I assumed that since he's the firstborn son then it would be up to him, not my DH.

my read shelf:
  • imageSarahZ05:
    It's only a middle name. Let him have this one. When you mention your kid's name, would you really say firstname middlename? Or just "This is my son, firstname"?

This. 

• My family has a passed down first and middle name combo that is for sure not up to date..

James Ernest ....   So my brother is the third.. and we call him Trey.. We always joked that if he has a son.. we'll have to call him Quad for being the fourth.. (hee hee)

Middle names aren't bad.. at least you have leeway with the first name.. that and.. if you don't like his choices.. come up with a nickname that you like.. and tell him "hey.. you wanted the names.. you got them.. I want this nickname.. deal with it"

:)

• You could do the more than 2 names thing...  Tommy Billy Edward LastName ...  it would never show up on anything (as there are usually only three blanks on forms), but might make everyone happy.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"