Trying to Get Pregnant

PreConception Check-up

Hey Ladies, 

My hubby and I are going to start TTC next cycle and I started thinking that maybe I should go get a pre-conception check up. I'm wondering if it's really necessary though? I've been taking pre-natals for a few months now, and we are both healthy people. 

The only thing I'm worried about is making sure my vaccinations are up-to-date (specifically Rubella). Couldn't I just go to my general practitioner for a blood test to make sure I'm immune?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PreConception Check-up

• I did one right before going off the pill.  Gotta say, wasn't very interesting.  Since I am also healthy and had been taking prenatals, we basically talked a bit about what to avoid while TTC and when I do get pregnant.  Other than that, it was basically the same as my annual exam.
    TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

• I talked to my doc at my yearly and said we were going to try in about 6 months and asked if I should make an appointment to check things out. He said not to bother. Start taking prenatals and not to stop the BC mid cycle.

So I didn't do one. Even now i don't think there would have been much for him to tell me.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My OBGYN did the blood test to see what I'm not up-to-date on in terms of vaccines, but when it came to actually getting the vaccine, my OBGYN doesn't do that.  I needed to go to a GP.  In retrospect, the GP might have been able to do it all.  Plus, I needed the OBGYN to send the bloodwork results to the GP, which you wouldn't need to wait for if your GP was the one doing the bloodwork.

In summary, I say go to the GP. Yes

GL!

My BFP Chart

Becoming a better role model for my daughter, one day at a time

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• I went in for one at my OB/GYN.  When I got there he basically said that they do this to be sure that a person doesn't have any reason not to TTC, or medical issues that should be managed before TTC (ie obesity, uncontrolled asthma, uncontrolled diabetes, etc.)  I also hand some genetic testing done, so they drew blood at that appointment.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageProcrastinatingBride:

My OBGYN did the blood test to see what I'm not up-to-date on in terms of vaccines, but when it came to actually getting the vaccine, my OBGYN doesn't do that.  I needed to go to a GP.  In retrospect, the GP might have been able to do it all.  Plus, I needed the OBGYN to send the bloodwork results to the GP, which you wouldn't need to wait for if your GP was the one doing the bloodwork.

In summary, I say go to the GP. Yes

GL!

That's what I was thinking :) I guess I'll make an appointment with my GP for blood work. Thanks for the advice!

• My MIL is a carrier for a fatal genetic disorder (Tay-Sachs) which is also common for people of French-Canadian decent (which I am) so knowing that up front I chose to be tested - both parents have to be carriers, so if I was positive then my husband would have been tested also.

So if you know, or can find out if anyone in your family or in-laws have any kind of genetic disorders, that would be a good reason to get some blood work done.

Good luck to you :)

• imagerrcraz7:

I talked to my doc at my yearly and said we were going to try in about 6 months and asked if I should make an appointment to check things out. He said not to bother. Start taking prenatals and not to stop the BC mid cycle.

So I didn't do one. Even now i don't think there would have been much for him to tell me.

This is what I did too. My dr. also recommended a calcium supplement to support breast health in addition to pre-natals.

TTC since 04/2010
    Ovarian cancer survivor
    DH= low motility
    2/9/11 lap & hysteroscopy- uterine polyp & scar tissue removed
    3/25/11 IUI#1= BFP m/c; D&C at 7w3d (Trisomy 16)
    IUIs #2, #3, #4 and #5= BFNs
    Onto IVF #1= BFN
    FET 4/6/12= 2 extended blasts transferred, with one hatching
    Beta 1= 607; Beta 2= 1,564; Beta 3= 24,439; Beta 4= over 64,000
    First u/s on 5/10= TWINS! Heartbeats 158 and 160!
    It's a boy and a girl!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    My Blog
    Huge congrats to my beautiful BFPB lmj8284, due June 2012!
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." -FDR
  • I just mentioned to my doctor at my yearly that DH and I were thinking about TTC.  She prescribed prenatals (cheaper than at the pharmacy) and got me updated on my vaccines.

That was it!

• Shoot...after reading all the replies, I think I'm calling my OBGYN and cancelling my preconception visit, lol! Thanks for saving me $$, everyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"