3rd Trimester

Why did I tell family the name?

Pregnancy brain?  Lapse in judgment?  Ugh!!   I told my step-mom that we're naming her Allison Brooke (my son patted my stomach and called the baby Allison so the cat was out of the bag).  Her response "Allison Oberlin is a mouthful".  Then nothing.  No other comment at all.  My sister already told me she hates the name (she was hoping for Piper and some other names that were NOT on our list).

I should have known better.  My step-mom refused to call my son Brady for the first few days- she called him Brad- because she didn't like the name Brady.  It took her friends telling her it was a great name for her to change her mind.

So if you're on the fence about telling family- don't!!!  Let me be the example of why NOT to tell family- LOL!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Why did I tell family the name?

• wow i would have some not so nice words for my family if they acted like this! If i were you i would tell them they arent being very nice and to shut there pie holes! THis is your child you have the right to name them what ever the hell you want! they had the same thing why cant they just be supportive! I think the name is very cute! Dont worry about rude comments from the fam

• I know exactly how you feel! Every.single.time. we see DH's family FIL asks "soooo are  you still naming her Madelyn?".
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • That's awful.  And for what its worth, I love the names Allison and Brady. 

Im glad you posted this though because DH and I were just saying maybe we can tell people our names now.....so much for that idea!!!

• I feel your pain. We haven't told.. but my genious husband decided to tell his parents our 4th and 5th place choices that we are considering while I was out of the room.. we are pretty much set on a name.. but have some others in mind.. just in case.

I walk back in to an all out yelling match.. well.. just his very opinionated father yelling that we can't name him that blah blah blah.. stressing once again how we have to chose something Italian (they are off the boat). Now.. bear in mind.. our #1 choice is actually an Italian name.. but we aren't hell bent on going with an Italian name. So when we leave I tell DH that I decided I want to name our son the most Irish name I can think of just b/c his father is a PIA! He really pissed me off.. especially b/c the name in particular that he had a problem with is Irish (I'm Irish/Italian).

• I will learn from your mistake.  I am starting to get weak with keeping the name a secret, but can definitely hold off for 10 more weeks.  Why are people so rude when it comes to baby names?!?!?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • this is the exact reason we havent told a single person the name we have chosen. I dont feel like hearing anyones opinions. Sorry your fam is acting like that.
  • Don't worry your not the only one who went through this. My husbands family was so annoying about the names we came up with. I bit my tongue once we made the final decision but they were so annoying I ended up telling them and of course the SIL still told people why not benjamin. Ugh people need to stop putting there two sense in. Just do what I do. Say that's a great name u both came up with. Its no ones decision but u and ur husband. Sorry had to vent
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • I love that name. Its not a mouthful, it is a very nice name. Screw what other people say. I am starting to want to tell people, but I am going to stay strong... I think people will keep their mouths shut after its official, and I don't really care what they think anyways! 
  • People are stupid when it comes to names.  My dad hates the name we are using but the way he told me just cracked me up.  he usually never has an opinion and his names are awful anyway he likes very simple names like Sue and Jane.  Needless to say he didn't name any of my siblings and there are 4 of us =)  Our family is fine with the name.  I don't think anyone "loves"it and we have 2 middle names which we can tell everyone hates, but it is my kid so they can just deal.  I think the name will be fine!   What does it matter if it is a mouth full.
  • I made this mistake this past weekend. My step mom said "Remember these are babies.. not puppies!" then my sister litterally begged me not to name my little girl Avionna.. She said it sounds like I'm naming her after a water bottle (Evian). Ugh.... If I wanted anyone opinion I would have asked a looong time ago.
  • we told his mil and that is IT. i am so glad i have kept it a secret and i know i can hold out till she is here!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ugh, isn't that the worst???  Why do people say those sorts of things when a) it's not their choice and b) your mind is already made up?!? 

• I can't believe people act like this!!

Every person we have told, family..friends..acquaintances..EVERYONE..has said 'Oh cute!' or 'I love that name!'. Not one bad response, nor would I expect to get a bad response. Around here, if you don't like it, you just say oh that's neat/cute/different and go on...nobody woud dare say they hated it!

(Although, when we didn't know if it was team pink or blue my dad vetoed Brynlee Jo because BJ Bone just didn't work.)

• imageAuddie2122:
    I made this mistake this past weekend. My step mom said "Remember these are babies.. not puppies!" then my sister litterally begged me not to name my little girl Avionna.. She said it sounds like I'm naming her after a water bottle (Evian). Ugh.... If I wanted anyone opinion I would have asked a looong time ago.

Ugh Jagger and Avionna?  Haha JUST KIDDING! I actually like those names they are unique.. And if I didn't SFW. they aren't my kids. I hate when people react to name choices like that. Who care's what you would name them if they were your kids? Guess what they're not. So you go ahead and pop a baby outta your cooch then you can name them what you want! My MIL goes 'TAIDEN? TAIDEN?' when we told her what we were gonna name my son. I simply said yeah that's his name and we're not changing it so you better get used to it. Then she had they nerve to say.. We'll as long as your not naming him one of those ghetto names.. oh and don't put braids and stuff in his hair. (I'm black and their white) uhm excuse me?!!? I just had to walk off at that point. Then she said something similar when we found out we were having a girl.. We already had a name, but I was really tempted to go my entire pregnancy telling her we were gonna name the baby Shanaynay! or something like that.

Oh and I wouldn't have even thought of Evian.. I don't think it sounds the same at all... I swear people just sit around and think of ways to mess up names. My SIL was thinking about a name that I think is the most horrible name ever, but she never asked my opinon and if she had I would've said I wouldn't use it but it's not my kid. (She ended up not using that name. I think they just didn't want to tell anyone the real name as it ended up being the second choice they had for their first DD.)

Holy crap this turned into it's own post! I'm done now haha

• We kept it a secret from everyone but our parents.  My parents are fine but DH's are horrible.  They insist on calling her "Evie".  Her name is Evangeline. NOT "Evie". If she wants to be Evie when she's older SHE will make that decision not us and especially not them.  And then last night his dad started calling her "vangy".  Really? Vangy?  We expect these sort of things from the playground and will cope accordingly but not from her grandfather.  And everytime I correct them or DH corrects them they say "Evangeline is a lot of name for a little girl".  Good grief.  I don't share my real name on the internet but it, too, is quite French and very long.  I did just fine.  In fact if you put my first and middle names together it's MUCH longer than her first and middle names together.
  • imagegeorgia_peachy:
    My parents are fine but DH's are horrible.  They insist on calling her "Evie".  Her name is Evangeline. NOT "Evie". If she wants to be Evie when she's older SHE will make that decision not us and especially not them.  And then last night his dad started calling her "vangy".  Really? Vangy?  We expect these sort of things from the playground and will cope accordingly but not from her grandfather.

Evangeline is such a pretty name!

We're naming the baby Reid, boy or girl, after my Grandfather and FIL has referred to the baby as "Reidette" if it's a girl. OK. I know that Reid is unusual for a girl, but it's not unheard of, and anyway - I could name my baby Sidewalk and everyone would just have to deal. Not make up new names.

• You should have asked us first (j/k).  When we were pregnant with DD we told the fam our names and my dad was not shy about not liking Madeleine (which we used anyway).  It's funny that people think just because you tell them what you're naming the baby that you're asking for their opinion.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I hear ya.  I made the same mistake too.  If we have a boy, we are naming him Felix (after FIL).  So, we stupidly shared the name.  My own mother tells me "everyone I tell the name to just cringes and says he'll get made fun of, maybe you could name him something else".  Thanks mom! I appreciate the support.  I told her that if I cared about what other people thought than I would change it, but I don't!!
  • imagellk08:
      If we have a boy, we are naming him Felix (after FIL).  So, we stupidly shared the name. 

Felix is adorable- it's my cousin's son's middle name (Dylan Felix). 

I'm amazed at how many relatives are downright rude!  The funny thing about my family is I asked them to submit names they liked.  Some were horrible (sister liked Loki) and some like my step-mom never submitted any.  It's just taught me to be a better and nicer person when other people tell me the names they chose (especially when I am not fond of the name).  

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"