3rd Trimester

Nursing bras - when to buy?

So I'm looking into nursing bras and it's kind of like jean shopping - I hate it! The bras I've tried on just feel big and bulky and don't fit like they should.  I've had two different people measure me and they've come up with similar sizes.  (But boy has my rib cage expanded since PP!)  Then today I think I've finally decided on what size fits best, but they are out of that particular size - of course!  But then the sales lady says to me not to buy them before I'm a month out because my size can change.  She says if I'm weaing a B now that I should order a C if I order online.  Is this correct?  When did you buy your nursing bras? What's your favorite nursing bra?

*I'm going to try to post this on 0-3 as well!

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nursing bras - when to buy?

• baby bargains says to buy a couple in your 8th month and then more after the baby is here.
  • I bought two - but, am still growing - I'm already up 3 cup sizes and 2 sizes (from 34 B to 38 DD) - but, I seem to be growing!

I'm hoping that as I go down these will fit better than the bigger ones I'll buy after the milk comes in...

• Loading the player...
  • I asked the breastfeeding board this and most people said that they started out with nursing tanks and waited a couple weeks for their supply to completely come in before getting the bras.
  • I have 2 nursing tanks and don't plan on buying any bras until 3-4 weeks after baby arrives.
  • i bought a tank and a sleep bra, and plan on waiting for my milk to come in before buying any more.
  • imageLexi0402:
    i bought a tank and a sleep bra, and plan on waiting for my milk to come in before buying any more.

I think this sounds like a good plan! Where did you get your sleep bra?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I just went yesterday and she said to do it a few weeks out from your due date. She sized me. I'm currently a 34C (up from a 34B pre-pregnancy) and got a 34D. She said to figure a size up for your milk and the breast pads. I found 2 that I really liked at Motherhood Maternity. 

ETA: I plan to exchange them if need be once the baby arrives and my milk comes in.  

• Thanks ladies!  These answer resemble what the 0-3 ladies said.  I guess I'll wait and just get some tanks for now.  Thanks again!
  • It would probably be better to wait until closer to your due date - around 37 wks the girls will probably be the same size they will be at birth. At that point get 1 basic sleep bra or nursing tank & 1 basic day bra - I recommend staying away from underwire style at 1st because that is when you are most likely to get engorgement & blocked ducts and wires can contribute.

Once your milk comes in (usually 2-5 days after birth) you are going to go up in size again. Then you will learn whether the size you originally bought is still going to work as well as whether you may leak a bit. So after a week or so it is safe to stock up on a couple more sleep bras/ tanks/ day bras and you'll have a better idea of what is going to suit your lifestyle. I found nursing tanks to be most comfy & versatile but my son was born in the summer, my girls stayed modest (36 C/D) and I didnt have leakage. My fave brand was Bravada. 

Your tatas will stay fluffy for awhile, then, your supply will stabilize after about 2 mo and some of the fullness will go down. You will probably stay that size for the remainder of the time that you BF. So you can see why they recommend you wait to buy bras, since you may go up and down in size a bit. Good luck!    

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"