3rd Trimester

C-section birthing plan?

So- I have to have a c-section and it will be scheduled for the end of August (due to prior uterine surgeries). People keep asking me at my practice what my "plan" is. Did anyone write out a plan that they would be willing to share with me or explain to me in more details? I'm not sure where to start.

Re: C-section birthing plan?

• I just told my doctor my preferences this time around. Like asking for the first surgery time in the morning since you cant eat after midnight. And who you want in the surgery with you and if your hospital allows pictures if you want during surgery ( i do since i cant see whats going on and would like to see later) Then when i get to my recovery room after surgery i told the hospital i dont want ppl visiting until later in the afternoon so i have time to bond and time to breastfeed a few times. also to recover abit for the spinal it made me super loopy last time and i blacked out for a few hours (DH said i was hilarious) also sometimes they dont ask if DH wants to be a part of the first bathing and just take the baby my DH loves that part so we mentioned that to my dr. I cant really think of anything else right now but if i do i will let you know my csection is thursday! yay!
  • I still filled out a birth plan it just wasn't as detailed as a normal one. One thing to make sure you include is what happens if you are put to sleep. Do you want anyone to see or hold LO before you are able to? This was the smartest thing I think I ever did when I was PG with DS #1. I never ever thought I would be put to sleep but due to complications, had to be. I was so glad I told DH that he was not allowed to show anyone DS before I could and no one besides him was allowed to hold him.
  • Loading the player...
  • good suggestions from PPs. i'll add:

are you planning to breastfeed? if so, you should consider whether you are ok with baby having a pacifier or a bottle w/formula while you are in recovery. they can hinder successful breastfeeding, but are common when mom has a c/s -- especially if the epi doesn't take and you have to be under a general.

are you comfortable with the baby going to the nursery? or would you prefer that your husband keep the baby with him?

what are your preferences concerning the routine procedures for baby immediately after birth (prophylactic eye drops, vitamin k shot, PKU)? do you want them done right away or delayed to allow adequate time for mother-father-baby bonding.

do you want the cord to be clamped after it stops pulsating? it is common practice to clamp it immediately during a c/s. however, it is not necessary if there are no issues with the surgery. they can wait the minute or two for it to stop before clamping, which is beneficial for the baby. 

are you planning to bank cord blood? save the placenta?

if you are Team Green, do you want your husband to announce the gender?

how do you want to deliver your placenta? it is still possible to deliver it vaginally, if you'd prefer to do that. i'm not sure if there are any confirmed medical/pyschological/hormonal benefits to doing so, but many women choose to. i wish i had, so i could have at least experienced birthing something that way. i didn't know it was an option.

have you talked to your doctors about the type of incision you'll have? it doesn't sound like you'll ever be a candidate for vaginal birth, given the reason for this c/s, but i'd ask anyway about the pros/cons of the two types.

hmmm, i think that's all i can think of right now. good luck and sorry you have to have a c/s.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone! I hadn't thought or known about all this. Now I have plenty of questions to ask!
  • I work on a labor/delivery floor and some of the requests we've had are that sometimes there is a radio in the OR and you could have some music playing in the background and keep the idle chit chat from the staff to a minimum, only discussing that which is related to you and your child. Also, consider whether you want DH to "cut" the excess cord after they apply the plastic clamp once baby is under the warmer being examined and who the baby is to stay with until you're in recovery. You can bond with the baby by having him/her close to your face so you can see each other and kiss on your new bundle of joy. Also, if breastfeeding, and barring complications, request to be able to breastfeed within the first hour of birth, which is possible with a c-section! Don't let them talk you into giving baby a bottle, it could hinder breastfeeding success, even with just one! DH could help with the bath...I ask all daddies if they'd like to learn, especially if it's their first and get them very involved!!! You can choose who you want and don't want to be in the recovery room visiting. You will remember this for the rest of your life, so be in control. It's your delivery!
  • RobynKRobynK member
    imageLindseyJW:

how do you want to deliver your placenta? it is still possible to deliver it vaginally, if you'd prefer to do that. i'm not sure if there are any confirmed medical/pyschological/hormonal benefits to doing so, but many women choose to. i wish i had, so i could have at least experienced birthing something that way. i didn't know it was an option.

Are you F'ing nuts?  Your stomach muscles are cut wide open and you have ZERO feeling at all from the spinal -- how would this even be remotely possible and WHY would anyone want to do this?  "Many women choose to" -- really, where did you see the facts on this?

To the OP -- think about what happens if they need to put you under general and you aren't awake for the c/s. Even if you are awake you won't be able to hold baby right away -- can anyone other than hospital staff & DH hold or see the baby before you?  If baby has to go to the NICU does DH stay while they stitch you up or go with the baby?  Do you want someone there to take pics?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageRobynK:
    imageLindseyJW:

Are you F'ing nuts?  Your stomach muscles are cut wide open and you have ZERO feeling at all from the spinal -- how would this even be remotely possible and WHY would anyone want to do this?  "Many women choose to" -- really, where did you see the facts on this?

To the OP -- think about what happens if they need to put you under general and you aren't awake for the c/s. Even if you are awake you won't be able to hold baby right away -- can anyone other than hospital staff & DH hold or see the baby before you?  If baby has to go to the NICU does DH stay while they stitch you up or go with the baby?  Do you want someone there to take pics?

you seriously need to chill. what's with the animosity?

my "facts" come from three friends who have had c/s and delivered their placentas vaginally, including a bumpie from my birth month board. she was the first person i heard of to do this and after i started asking around, i found two other people i know IRL who had done it. you don't have to, no one suggested you should. i simply suggested to the OP that if it's something she wants to do, she may have the option.

many women have have zero feeling at all when they get an epi and have a vaginal birth, but they still manage to push out a baby.

as for why someone would want to, i would want to b/c having a surgical birth is not something i wanted to do. in fact, i spent many months preparing my body to avoid that outcome. delivering my placenta vaginally would have given me at least some satisfaction that my preparation had not entirely been in vain. but i didn't know that i had that option. now someone else does and i think that's wonderful.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've also read that you're less likely to have issues with retained placenta if you deliver the placenta vaginally.  Retained placenta sucks, so that might be a consideration for some.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"