3rd Trimester

daddy shower...?

any one giving hubby a daddy shower or someone giving him a daddy shower? I was thinking of doing so for hubby hes so excited about the baby and wanted to do something special for him any ideas?
Who ever said crazy isn't normal??? BabyName Ticker

Re: daddy shower...?

• In my family, when they throw a baby shower for someone they throw a diaper party for the boys. The guys have to pick up a pkg of diapers, doesn't matter what size. It could be at the same location or another persons place. It is alot of fun and then you don't need to buy diapers for like 3 months....lol
  • I dont think its a good idea for you to throw a shower for your DH...kind of reminds me of you throwing a shower for yourself!

Have any Hooter's Restaurants nearby? My husband went to a Diaper party there a few months ago. Hooter's will plan, send out invitations, etc. Each invite will have a certain size diaper for the guest to bring. I thought it was a neat idea b/c the guys could all support the to-be father, but also drink, watch sports, etc.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

View Raw Image'>

• Loading the player...
  • imagejoeandmarsha:
    In my family, when they throw a baby shower for someone they throw a diaper party for the boys. The guys have to pick up a pkg of diapers, doesn't matter what size. It could be at the same location or another persons place. It is alot of fun and then you don't need to buy diapers for like 3 months....lol

Diaper parties are really common around here too. Except, they aren't just for the guys, they are coed. We didn't have to buy diaper for DD until almost 9months! Our diaper party this time around is next Saturday. They are so fun, I can't wait to see everyone.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageLouRN09:

I dont think its a good idea for you to throw a shower for your DH...kind of reminds me of you throwing a shower for yourself!

Have any Hooter's Restaurants nearby? My husband went to a Diaper party there a few months ago. Hooter's will plan, send out invitations, etc. Each invite will have a certain size diaper for the guest to bring. I thought it was a neat idea b/c the guys could all support the to-be father, but also drink, watch sports, etc.

i have not heard of a dipper party but it sounds great but i was meaning more of just a set day where hubby got to hang out with all the guys and have a day of all out dude stuff
    Who ever said crazy isn't normal??? BabyName Ticker
  • I'm throwing an daddy-to-be appreciation boys day out for the hubby and his guy friends. No gifts necessary, just wanted to say thank you by planning one of his last all guys events for a while. I'm sending them fishing on a friends boat with his favorite jet ski in tow. It's surprise so I hope it works out!
  • I'm dropping lots of hints to have my DH's diaper party the same time as my shower, that way the guys all get to hang out while the girls do, too.  It seems like a perfect fit and a lot of fun for the guys.
  • imageshibby00:
    I'm dropping lots of hints to have my DH's diaper party the same time as my shower, that way the guys all get to hang out while the girls do, too.  It seems like a perfect fit and a lot of fun for the guys.

This is actually what we did when my daughter was born 6 years ago. I had the traditional shower upstairs and he had a "Basketball, Beer, and Babies" party in the den. The watched the NBA finals and had a good time with just the guys.The stipulation was for every case of beer that they brought, they had to bring a box of diapers too. Let's just say, I had diapers to last for a long time!!

• h2babeh2babe member
    We had co-ed showers for all four of our showers--so no seperate one for DH. For the women who get the traditional showers, the hubby sometimes gets a diaper shower from their friends.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • DH's friends threw him a guy's shower.  Bar-B-Que, Beer and Butt Covers...they all call diapers butt covers.  They selected a night when all of them could get together to grill and drink beer.  Just like everyone else has mentioned, the guest just needed to bring a package of diapers.  You will be surprised about how many you get!  They had a great time plus it made DH feel special.  (At first the guys laughed at the idea, then they all agreed that it was a great idea.)

• I had the same feelings about getting my husband involved.  He is just as excited about the baby as I am.  So, I asked my girls to throw us a "Jack and Jill" shower so we could include the guys in the festivities.  We're having a summer shower so we'll have stuff for the ladies inside and beer, horseshoes, and BBQ for the boys outside by the pool. 

The diaper party is also something I considered but many of our guy friends are mutual so I'd hate to miss out on the fun if it were guys only!  :)

• imagemjmonkeylove:
    imageLouRN09:

i have not heard of a dipper party but it sounds great but i was meaning more of just a set day where hubby got to hang out with all the guys and have a day of all out dude stuff

So you want to throw him a bachelor party? The guys go out golfing and drinking afterwards? Color me confused.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We didnt have just a daddy shower, but I had 2 sets of friends offer to throw a shower for us, so to one set of friends we did a co-ed baby shower where we invited couples, mainly his friends and then our brothers and dads since they're normally not involved in the process.  It wasn't too babyish, just a big mingling feast. 

My husband has been invited to a "diapers & beer" party before, those are common. 

I've also heard of someone throwing their own shower b/c they didn't want anyone to incur the expense.  Some people may call it tacky, but don't invite people you aren't close to.  True friends would pitch in anyway, especially if they've had a baby, and they know the costs.    Or just get with his brother/cousin/best friend,  and plan something for him, that way you can stick their name on the RSVP.

• WHERE IS YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR.

DO YOU NOT HAVE ANY FRIENDS? THIS IS SUPPOSE TO BE A HAPPY TIME IN YOUR LIFE. CELEBRATE IT!

• No, the baby shower (although DH won't be attending) is gifts for our LO -- not necessarily me.  In our circle it would be overkill to have something for the dad. 
  • My best friends are throwing me a traditional baby shower and my work family will probably do one as well. I was feeling that Dad was not getting enough attention. Then, a female friend of his decided to throw a coed shower for all of their old friends and married couples to attend. I love the idea! It's a chance for me to get to meet his friends and for them to celebrate with us, when they probably would not have had that chance before.

• Yes! I am throwing my hubby a surprise diaper party.  When I first brought the idea to him he thought it was lame and not into it, so I didn't say much more and haven't brought it up since.  However, after chatting with his guy friends, they think it would be fun.

I have his parents in on it too.  One of his friends is  going to distract him for a morning while his parents set up the BBQ and prepare food at our house and all his friends arrive (diapers in tow).  His parents and I are going to provide the food and a keg and then his friends will be instructed to just show up and bring diapers.  Everyone will be at the house when he gets home (no women) and they can play horseshoes, cards, whatever and just have a good time!  And hopefully we get all stocked up on diapers at the same time!

• imageLaBlue24:

Yes! I am throwing my hubby a surprise diaper party.  When I first brought the idea to him he thought it was lame and not into it, so I didn't say much more and haven't brought it up since.  However, after chatting with his guy friends, they think it would be fun.

I have his parents in on it too.  One of his friends is  going to distract him for a morning while his parents set up the BBQ and prepare food at our house and all his friends arrive (diapers in tow).  His parents and I are going to provide the food and a keg and then his friends will be instructed to just show up and bring diapers.  Everyone will be at the house when he gets home (no women) and they can play horseshoes, cards, whatever and just have a good time!  And hopefully we get all stocked up on diapers at the same time!

So.... you are throwing your husband a party where people bring him AND YOU, diapers aka presents.

You are, in effect, throwing yourself a party.

How is that not tacky, rude and BEYOND poor etiquette?

Even when you were 5 years old, it was your parents who were the ones throwing you the party. It is never ok to throw yourself a party and ask or even expect gifts. Diapers count as gifts.

White Knot
  • Do you ever have dinner parties?  Most people offer to bring something if they are polite and diaper can count in this case.  I don't know about you but most people have friends and friends are happy to help celebrate the birth of your children as well as bring a little something.  Lighten up and stop judging others.  Although both man and woman are having the child as a unit, lets face it....us girls get most of the attention.  Why is it soo terrible to give daddy a little attention too.

• Agreed. If Dad wants to get involved ask if he wants to do a co-ed shower. How does a day out with the guys celebrate your new little one?  My hubby is SO very excited but doesn't want to be at the shower just to come after to load up the car. He may have a different idea than you do. The best thing to do is ask.

Never heard of a diaper party, sounds great. A lady that was helpping with a registery told me about what some ladies did for her daughter. For every lady that brought diapers in addition to the gift got put in a drawing for a prize. Making it a game everyone brought diapers.

• pwfpwf member
    The Red Sox are in town this weekend and my husband is a huge Sox fan. His friends got him amazing seats behind home plate and they are going out for a boys night tomorrow night... they are calling it his Daddy Shower. ;)
    Busy's First Trip to Ireland May 2011
  • yes we are prepping for our daddy shower now.... actually it is a diaper shower... we are inviting the boys and a few girls that have been his friends for much longer than they have been mine..... we are cooking out and playing cornhole :) as the "shower game" of choice ... everyone is bringing a box of diapers as a gift... we have requested all sizes  except the depends size lol.... should be a lot of fun and it is making daddy feel more involved and not like mommy is the only one having the baby :)

-jes-

• I decided not to do a traditional "women only" baby shower, instead I'm doing a family shower. I'm encouraging my guest to be whole families or couples. I thought that this way everyone could share in the excitement.
  • I'm due in 5 weeks from now and this weekend we are having a baby shower.

My best friend has arranged everything with my assistance.

The shower however is mixed, as in, there are couples coming over and some of my friends and some of his. It looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun.

We thought that doing this together would be better, as it would also be our last "party" at home for a while

• Since it's gonna be in August, my hubby's buddy decided to do it by the pool. They'll get a keg (guys!!! lol) and of course some grilling will be going on. His buddies have to bring diapers and baby wipes. Later in the afternoon their ladies can join. I think it's an awesome idea! If us women get a baby shower, why not the daddy's?!

• We had a daddy shower for hubby.  Everyone brought gag gifts and we had a cookout.  It was a total surprise for him- he thought we were just having a family and friends  picnic (he even helped plan it) and wasn't aware the party was for him until the cake came that said "CONGRATS DAD!"

Some of the gifts were:

a makeshift Hazmat kit (contained goggles, a paper suit, noseplugs, duct tape, diapers, long yellow gloves and paper booties to cover his shoes)

a breastfeeding bra  (they cut holes in a bra and inserted bottles through the bra so daddy could "breastfeed"

Goo Gone but they changed the label to "Poo Gone"

a first aid kit

a body fluid clean up kit

a toy gun (we had a girl, to "scare off" the boys when she grows older

no doze

Everyone had a great time- including daddy- and the family still talks about the gag gifts.

Best of luck! 

• One more thing- in regard to the etiquette argument- it's your family and friends, if they're not offended, who cares?  Secondly, if they are offended because you're "asking" for gifts, they don't have to come or can come without a gift, no hard feelings.  

You're having a baby- if people can't relax the rules of "etiquette" to have fun (or be understanding about the pressures of new parenthood), would you really want them at your party anyway? 

Do what you want and what works for you and your friends & family.   Anyone who doesn't get that doesn't need to be a part of it.

Again, best of luck! 

• We threw a party for my boyfriend and just had it a guys night playing poker, watching sports, eating junk food, and just hanging out without women. But they had to bring a pack of either diapers or wipes to get into the door which worked at great because they also were able to trade the diapers in for more poker chips so most of the men were running down the street to get more diapers to play longer
  • i've never heard of a daddy shower, but in my boyfriend's family it is tradition to have diaper parties where all the guys get together and bring a pack of diapers. they play poker, drink, stuff like that. the closet in the nursery is heaping with diapers & wipes now, so i definitely recommend it!! lol
  • My cousin told her DH to invite his friends over and tell them to bring a case of beer and a case of diapers and that they would provide the food. Apparently they grilled out and drunk beer all afternoon. LOL
  • you know if you are just going to sit there and complain about what others do then don't say anything if you have ever watched Bambi in your life do as thumpers mom says to do if you cant say anything nice then don't say anything at all. it is people like you that piss me off do you even know what it is like to have to struggle to get by at anything in life? if so then you know the true meaning of having to live. and the people that are planing there DH a diaper shower i say go for it cuz it sounds like a wonderful idea. and yes it has to be up to some of us to throw our own cuz if we didn't there would never be one.
  • imagepyrogummy:
    you know if you are just going to sit there and complain about what others do then don't say anything if you have ever watched Bambi in your life do as thumpers mom says to do if you cant say anything nice then don't say anything at all. it is people like you that piss me off do you even know what it is like to have to struggle to get by at anything in life? if so then you know the true meaning of having to live. and the people that are planing there DH a diaper shower i say go for it cuz it sounds like a wonderful idea. and yes it has to be up to some of us to throw our own cuz if we didn't there would never be one.

What does having struggles in life have to do with throwing a party for your husband so people can bring you gifts have to do with each other?

If no one will throw you a shower, then maybe they are trying to tell you something.

White Knot
  • I recently heard about the diaper party thing and I think its a fab idea! But let his friends put it together, you don't want it to end up like a shower, lol. You want it to be manly, lol. I actually threw my sis a co-ed baby shower and found tons of games for the guys to enjoy, and they had a blast! One of my friends just did the same for her sister-in-law. I think it makes the guys feel included. I haven't decided whether Im gonna go co-ed or suggest the diaper party yet, lol

• My sister-in-law and my mom are both giving me a baby shower at the same time so they could help eachother save money, I asked my sister-in-law and mom if they would have any problem with it being a baby shower/ Daddy shower they said no. I wanted him there cause he seems to be very involed with this preganice and is always wanting to know everything im feeling and always wants to feel the baby kick. I think its sooo cute since this is our second child our 1st is already 8yrs old, I'm also making a Big Brother kit for my son and giving it to him on the baby shower so he wont feel left out. The thing with the daddy shower is the guys will mainly be out side b.q. and probly playing basketball since the hall we rented has a basketball court which is really good for the ladys inside and those who are bring kids, cause more then likly the kids will be outside with the dads and that will leave the ladys to the games.
  • i have to agree with you on this.  a co-ed shower is a great way for both of you (as well as your families and friends) to celebrate the occasion.  the guys can have a few beers there if they really feel the need.  but i think the idea of them using a new baby as an excuse to go get drunk is silly.  especially at a hooters as someone earlier suggested.  a "DADDY SHOWER" at a place where half naked women serve you hot wings doesnt exactly scream "IM CELEBRATING MY BABY" to me...my DH gets to go out once a week with his buddies till the baby is born and he is happy with that and the co-ed shower we are having :)
  • Lol My mother would LOVE you!!! She feels the same way! Everyone is giving her heck about not throwing me a shower, but the way she was raised it was very rude for any family member to throw a shower for the parents to be. I also agree that it is rude if you are just having  one last pre-baby party to ask guest to bring a specific gift. Isn't that what a baby shower/ registry is for? 

I also agree that if you are going to have a social party you should just send an invoice/ call them up and not send invitations, its not a shower or a birthday party just good old times with friends before the babies get here. 

• sorry if i was confusing to who i was referring to, but i was responding to InternetEx... and her comments on Etiquette.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"