Babies: 6 - 9 Months

What's your biggest safety pet peeve?

I hate to see people ride lawn mowers (assuming the blade is on) with little ones. I knew a girl that jumped out of her dad's lap and her leg ended up getting caught in the blade. They had to amputate her leg below the knee, so I'm always the "no riding with the blade on" advocate.

Re: What's your biggest safety pet peeve?

• i just hate when my IL's try giving Fay food she's not ready for. they're really old school and think any table food is fine, but i'm really cautious about introducing stuff. they look at me like i'm nuts...

that's not exactly "safety," altho perhaps it is to some extent...

• People who put their kids in the back of the cart while they jump around.  I see this at work all the time.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecbjpl31:
    People who put their kids in the back of the cart while they jump around.  I see this at work all the time.

Yeah, this too.  

• Infant car seats on the top/front part of the shopping cart.  I once saw two people collide with shopping carts (not paying attention) and the carseat fall to the ground.  DS had a Chicco, which does not have the little hook "feature" that allows you to do this.   

I saw a lady yesterday using one of those carts with the built in seat, and she didn't have her baby strapped in.  The baby looked to be about 7 months old.  Equally as bad.

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • imageAugustAnn:

i just hate when my IL's try giving Fay food she's not ready for. they're really old school and think any table food is fine, but i'm really cautious about introducing stuff. they look at me like i'm nuts...

that's not exactly "safety," altho perhaps it is to some extent...

I'm in the same boat! Why are people so concerned with shoving real food in his mouth? He's doing just fine with baby food and snacks!

• Ugh, DH just got a riding lawn mower and my ILs (and lot of other people) keep making comments about how much fun DD1 will have riding w/ him. Umm... I don't think so! I was starting to think I was the only one who found that insanely dangerous!

Also, friends who leave dangerous cleaning products in an under-the-sink unlocked cabinet.

My ILs who leave their sliding door open all the time when we're over.. and it leads right out to the pool!

I saw a friend who hadn't lowered her daughters crib mattress at all.. her DD was over 2!

When hot water heaters are not turned down. It's such a huge burn risk for babies/toddlers who not only get burned more easily (at lower temps) but also don't yet have the reflex to quickly move out of the way. Another IL thing.. I've burned my hand multiple times on their "warm" water setting. It steams out of there!

Having your child play/sleep near CORDED blinds! You should know better (especially now that they've all been recalled!) My friend's 2yo died from strangulation in her crib 2.5 years ago :( It's been all over the news recently. I don't get why people still take the risk. It's not that hard to remove them and put up cordless blinds or curtains!

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • imageAggieGrl:

Infant car seats on the top/front part of the shopping cart.  I once saw two people collide with shopping carts (not paying attention) and the carseat fall to the ground.  DS had a Chicco, which does not have the little hook "feature" that allows you to do this.   

I saw a lady yesterday using one of those carts with the built in seat, and she didn't have her baby strapped in.  The baby looked to be about 7 months old.  Equally as bad.

I saw this in the Costco parking lot.  A mom was pushing her baby in the cart and went over one of the speed bumps at an angle. It caused the cart to tip, luckily she caught it and corrected the cart, but it made my heart jump, I'm sure she was pretty startled too.

• I totally agree with the carseat in the cart thing...

anyway, another thing that bothers me is when people let their kids crawl/run around with food in their mouth.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Whenever I see someone with a carseat on the front of a shopping cart I yell in my head at them "IDIOT!"  And then I want to go and push them over and take their baby away.  (A little dramatic, but seriously...come on people!)

Also, I think those that use bouncers and bumbos on elevated surfaces are also idiots.  It says on the package, on the tags, and in the instructions not to do this... yet people always think nothing bad will ever happen to their little one under their watchful eye.   (But, I do admit, I did this once... and then when little one started arching her back to get out of the bumbo I freaked out... never again!)

• running out of the bathroom "for just a second" while lo is in the tub.
  • D. all of the above!

and add on to that-

kids in the care without carseats because "we are just driving around the neighborhood" 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • D. all of the above!

and add on to that-

kids in the car without carseats because "we are just driving around the neighborhood" 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"