Baby Names

How youneek is this?

Cady or Cadey?

My DH and I were throwing out girl names, and we both kind of like Cadence, or Cady for short. He says he'd prefer just Cady or Cadey and all I can think when he's telling me this is it's too "youneek".

Honest opinions please?

And if Cady doesn't work out, I can always fall back on Optimus or Nevaeh!

Re: How youneek is this?

• Wasn't that Lyndsey Lohan's character in Mean Girls?  Maybe that was Caty.  I think everyone mispronounced it Cat-y instead of Cate-y.

How will you want that pronounced?  Like Cate-y or Cad-y (like a golf caddie)?

• It makes me think of Mean Girls!

• Loading the player...
  • Pronounced like Katie, but a d instead of t.

I'm not sold at all on this, but thought if I'm just overanalyzing it, and it isn't as youneek as I think, maybe I'd consider it.

• It's NMS, but i wouldn't give you the side eye for it.

• I had a friend named Cady growing up - I think it's a normal version of Katie?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the input! It helps!!!
  • imagehotmama82:

Pronounced like Katie, but a d instead of t.

I'm not sold at all on this, but thought if I'm just overanalyzing it, and it isn't as youneek as I think, maybe I'd consider it.

It would always make me think of a golf caddie pronounced that way.  That wouldn't be the worst thing, just different.  You might need to spell it Caddy or Caddie to get it pronounced right.

• My friend's DD is named Cadia and they call her Cadie.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• LouRN09LouRN09 member
    imageBelleBaby:
    imagehotmama82:

Pronounced like Katie, but a d instead of t.

It would always make me think of a golf caddie pronounced that way.  That wouldn't be the worst thing, just different.  You might need to spell it Caddy or Caddie to get it pronounced right.

I grew up with a girl named Cady (pronounced like Katie with a d). I think if you spelled it Caddy or Caddie, then I would pronounce it like a golf caddie, and not Katie with a d.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

View Raw Image'>

• I know a Cady and it never gets mispronounced. It is actually in most name books and while it nms, I don't dislike it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My vote is Cadence and Cady for short. I like the idea of having a more formal "real" name and then a cuter nn. It gives you options. I like the spelling Cady better than Cadey.

I also think that just naming her Cady outright would be a little much, youneek-wise. If you want to name her Katie, then name her Katie. Cady only makes sense to me if it is short for Cadence.

Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Nest! Anniversary
    VOTE on my Name List image 7 anovulatory cycles, 1 cycle 50 mg clomid, 4 cycles 100mg clomid, HSG double blockage, hysteroscopy with cyst and debris removal, fermara/IUI attempt abandoned because of anovulation, follistim/IUI attempt coming soon!
  • I'm sorry. I couldn't leave this thread without pointing out that 'youneek' is not a word. I believe what you mean is 'unique'.
  • thank you. I just asked this on other post too because I was so confused.
  • I went to HS with a girl named Cady, she never had problems with anyone mispronouncing it.  I think it's cute.
  • My name is Katy, and needless to say, it's no longer a unique name no matter how you spell it. I have two best friends named Katie and Kady.

I do think that Cadence is cute, but with doing Cady for short (if this is the name she'll write down on things), people are going to pronounce it Caddie. Unfortunately, it's inevitable - people pronounce my name Kathy all the time. err!

Nevaeh is very pretty, but is also starting to get overused, especially in religious communities. Good luck with picking out baby names - we just named our baby girl and it was hard work! Unique names were important to us as well - glad to hear you want to name her something special :)

• It's NMS either but it's your child so you have to go with what feels right to you.  I do agree with the poster who said to name her Cadence and call her Cady otherwise just name her Katie....because it will come off as unique.

What is up with Optimus though?  Did I miss something?

Also Neveh is being overused in my opinion and I am not sure many people will get it.

• We just gave our daughter a "youneek" name- Calleigh.  I didn't think it was all that unique until people started pronouncing like the much now given name Kayleigh.  Our daughter's name sounds and is spelled the same way as Calleigh on CSI Miami- although that is NOT why we named her this.  I Loved the name Cally or Callie but wanted a more formal look to the name so it didn't look like a nick name.

Just make sure you are not going to be annoyed with how people may constantly mispronounce a name.  We didn't think there was any way with our DD's name but I am driven crazy on a daily basis hearing "Kay-Lee."

BTW...if you want a "youneek" name, google it and find data on how popular the name is.  Our alternate name was Caelyn.  Two weeks before Calleigh was born, there were 3 new "Caelyn's" born within my doctors practice- all spelled differently!

• If you use this name- I like Cadey.
  • imagerhutchin:

It's NMS either but it's your child so you have to go with what feels right to you.  I do agree with the poster who said to name her Cadence and call her Cady otherwise just name her Katie....because it will come off as unique.

What is up with Optimus though?  Did I miss something?

Also Neveh is being overused in my opinion and I am not sure many people will get it.

I'm thinking she threw those out there as a joke!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have some close friends with a daughter named Cadence, her father is a musician.  I love it, personally.
  • I think Cady or Cadey is cute, but be prepared to correct people all the time, because they will not want to pronounce it Katie with a d sound in most cases. I know at first glance it looked like caddy like a golf caddy lol. But like the other posters said it is your kid, so if you are fine with it then I say go for it. I have unique names too and am getting flack over it but my husband and I love the names so we don't care. Good Luck choosing a name is hard, be thankful you aren't doing it for twins like I had to lol. 
  • Being an elementary school teacher, I see a lot of "youneek" names, and trust me, "Cady" is nowhere near the most interesting.  I really like Cadence for a girl (it was on my list until we found out we were having a boy) and we were going to shorten to Cadie.  I might suggest spelling it with an "ie" so you don't get people pronouncing it like "Caddy" with a short "a" sound.  (See the movie "Mean Girls.")  
  • i think cadence is nice and i think cady is just fine. i'm surprised at how many people think it will be mispronounced.

elizabeth cady stanton? anyone?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have a good friend whose little girl is named Kaydee.  That way no one mispronounces it.  I think it is really cute.  I also like the way your DH wants to spell it.  We are having a girl this time and naming Pipper pronounced pipe - er.  Just to be a little different instead of Piper.

I also have a friend who named their little girl Nevaeh . . . heaven spelled backwards.  I like it too.

• imageMomEllis:

I have a good friend whose little girl is named Kaydee.  That way no one mispronounces it.  I think it is really cute.  I also like the way your DH wants to spell it.  We are having a girl this time and naming Pipper pronounced pipe - er.  Just to be a little different instead of Piper.

I also have a friend who named their little girl Nevaeh . . . heaven spelled backwards.  I like it too.

Tongue Tied

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i think cadence is nice, and i would never have thought to pronounce cadey or cady as "caddy" either! go for it!
  • I agree... it reminds me of mean girls... and she did spell it Cady and everyone called her Cad-y

• I think Cady is a good name if your looking for a unique name, Nevaeh is also unique but I know alot of boys with that name. I almost chose that as a potential name for my son, but after realizing how many people actually had that name I decided not to. It seemed perfect, Heaven backwards, I mean usually your first child is heaven. Well good luck picking a name for little princess. =)
  • I have a friend named Cadence but she goes by Cadi for short.  I like it. I don't think there's anything wrong with either of your spellings and while I prefer a long name with a less informal nickname, Cady or Cadey would be cute.  (I've actually done both:  I have a Katherine we call Kate but my last is just Lily, not Lillian.)
  • I'm all for different names and spellings. My husband and I are thinking Maxon for our baby boy.
  • I like Cadence, Cady for short. It's cute! In my mind there's no confusion in pronunciation.
  • yah the name is Katy ...like katy perry when i was looking for names i looked at a couple websites and looked at was was popular for the year....sometimes the spelling of the name wont be popular but the name itself or the nickname is popular....if ur looking for unique but not something ur kid will get made fun of try looking at those lists but staying off the top 100

• Can't stand weird spellings for names...she'll be having to spell and pronounce her name for people her whole life. 
  • It doesn't matter how your name is spelled anymore, everyone has to spell it out for others.  My last name is Call and I have to spell it out for people.  Can't get more basic other than Smith or Jones! Oh and obviously I have had to spell my first name out to everyone my whole life and it is not a big deal!  At least it never bothered me, I always loved that my name was not the same as everyone else!
  • I like cady . Alot of people might know how to pronounce it but adding the E in there; might throw em off more. But i love simple but youneek names. I wanted a different/youneek name but nothing of the wall, to where people would spend days to remember it or just plain ghetto . So im naming my daughter Catalina, i haven't heard it before & its simple but yet different.
  • Who cares if it gets mispronounced once in a while? My name is an easily mispronounced name and I've never minded correcting people. It usually makes an easy conversation starter with people you have nothing to talk about with (SO's great aunt on his mother's side at your baby shower? Yeah.) Relax, your kid won't hate your for it or anything.

My idea for choosing between those names is picture them both on her future wedding invitations or business cards etc. If you think Cady looks way too girly, childish or out of place there, just keep it as a nickname. Who knows, maybe you'd name her Cady and she'd end up shortening it among her peers as "Cay" or "Didi" or something.

And Optimus? As in Optimus Prime? I actually got that "suggestion" - "If it's twins the other one can be Megatron!" Men... lol

• Cady reminds me of Mean Girls.  Regardless, I don't like it.  Sorry.

I work around kids and Nevaeh is so common now..sorry if someone already said that, I didn't read through them all.

Personally I think some parents should not be allowed to name kids.  I think I've seen it all, from Alivia to Zchon to twins Hunter and Rugby, to Ryver (doesn't make you cool you named your child River just cause you spelled it with a Y, dudes).  I feel bad for some of these kids.  Anyway, just my little rant.

We tried to find a unique name that wasn't too out there and people could spell correctly the first time, we picked Gavin cause we hadn't heard anyone named that, and then bam 10,000 boys were named that last year.  Go figure.

Here is the SSA website, you can put in any name you want and it will tell you how many people were born with that name.  Kinda cool.

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/
  • I like having the longer name Cadence, with Cady (which I would never think of pronouncing Caddy) for short.  Then as she's older, she can decide if she wants to stick with the nickname or go with a more adult dounding name.

Susan

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"