3rd Trimester

Baby Ear Piercing

DH and I were at Babies R Us the other day and saw this little girl with her ears pierced. She couldn't have been more than 6 months old. DH thought it was the cutest thing ever and said we had to get DD's ears pierce when she is a baby. So I did some research and i'm hearing that it is actually best to get your babies ears pierced by 6 months old because they won't mess with them and they have less chances of getting them infected and needing new holes done.

I remember when I was 6 getting mine done and they hurt so bad and I messed with them so much that they got infected, grew back and had to get them done again... So I am thinking of getting DD's ears pierced at about 8-10 weeks, they say don't do it any earlier than 8 weeks. And to go to an acual doctor's office that does infant ear piercing.

What is your ladies thoughts on this?  I think I would have to have DH go get it done lol, I couldn't see my DD cry in pain, I can't even watch a news show about babies getting shots so I know I'd be a big baby when it came to piercing her ears.

Hmm.. I'm still considering yes and no to this... So advice, experience, ideas on this would be great! Thanks!!!

Re: Baby Ear Piercing

• Its a family tradition (as well as a cultural thing) to get our little girl's ears pierced by about 6-8 weeks. There is a set a family earring passed down that we all get it done with. My DD1 has no problems with hers and now at 7, takes good care of her ears and does her own earrings. I will get DD2 done at around the same time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't see anything wrong with it and if I were having a girl I'd be doing it early on. My lil sis is 2.5 and she had hers done within 6 months. I don't think she really cried. Maybe for like a sec then was fine. Barely knew what happened. Hers never got infected but everyone is different. I can imagine less chance of infection with an infant since they are not messing with them like a squirmy 5 or 6 year old would.
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Personally I don't care for babies with their ears pierced, I plan on waiting until both of my girls are old enough to ask for them and take care of them by themselves.
  • DH and I discussed this and we're going to wait until LO is old enough to decide that she wants them and can help take care of them.

While they're cute on babies, we just don't feel comfortable doing it. I got my ears pierced at 9 as a reward for making honor roll or something like that. I was old enough to take care of my ears (with some assistance from my mom when I needed to take them out or had too much gunk, etc.)

• Mine were pierced when I was 2 or 3 months old and I'm so glad my Mom got them done then!! I've never had problems with those holes, even if I go a long time without wearing earrings. Now, the second pair of ear piercings I got (right above the first) when I was 12, they close up if I don't wear earrings in them often.
  • My DH and I just talked about this. We decided to wait until she was old enough to decide if she wants it done or not. Just not something we personally agree with. Not sure what others will say.

My brother and his girlfriend are due in August and they are getting her ears pierced when she is an infant.

To each their own.

• If we were having a girl we would definatly be getting this done early. My only suggestion is to make sure that you get her good earrings. Sometimes you wont notice a metal allergy and it can be uncomfortable for them.

Jewlery stores have some pretty cute baby earrings with backs that screw on so you wont have to worry about her messing with them or the backs falling off.

• I'll be getting Khari's ears pierced prob around 4 months. They won't do it before that here. They have to have had their 4 month shots... But I know my little cousin's were done at 2 months in TX so I guess it depends on the state. But I don't see a problem with getting a babie's ears pierced.. And it's really so quick they get over it pretty darn fast.
  • DH and I had a similar encounter with a baby whose ears were pierced. He thought it was cute, and I was totally against it. I honestly haven't done any research, but I'm a believer that extra holes in the body equals more opportunity for infection. Plus, I just think piercing a baby's ears at that age is unnecessary pain. I also remember having mine done as a little girl, and it was a horrible experience for me. And, since I don't know how the LO would truly be feeling, I just couldn't do it if it did hurt as bad.

As you said, it's a personal choice though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My BIL had my niece's done when she was 5 months.  They got it done in a doctors office and with a good metal post that they had to pay extra for. They changed it out to Gold as soon as they could.  She did not play with them at all, they said she did not even cry because BIL was distracting her with some toy from the doctors office.

When my mom took me to get mine done when I was 2, I made it so hard to pierce my hear and made such a scene that she had to bring me back a week later to get the second ear done because I refused to go back near the lady.  (I dont remember of course)

I am pretty sure we will get them done for her, and if we do, it will be between 4-6 months old.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I guess I never thought of them getting infected. My daughter is 2 1/2 and my husband and I thought we would make it her choice to get it done and make a special day of it.... but I don't see a problem with doing it when there babies. I do think it looks cute and a lot of people get it done.
  • beebcafbeebcaf member
    I personally wouldn't do it, if this baby is a girl we'll wait until she's old enough to want it. What if she doesn't want them pierced? My sister is 26 and has never had a desire to have her ears pierced so I know that does happen. I guess I just wouldn't feel right making that kind of decision about her body for her.?
  • We just got DD's done at the age of 3. I wanted to take her for her 3rd birthday in April, but DH told her it was going to hurt. Thanks a lot! lol. So on Mother's Day, she asked me again and DH told her let's go. That was my Mother's Day gift since DH's rule was she had to be old enough to ask for herself. She has had no issues at all and she only cried for about two minutes. Mainly because we were all staring at her, waiting for her to cry. I'm kind of torn on how I feel about infants getting their ears pierced. SIL did it early with all 4 girls. I felt better about waiting. Just a personal choice.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Nope. Never.

DD will get her ears pierced when she's old enough to ask, take care of them, and we'll make it a mom/daughter day just like I had as a kid.

Bunny 05.2008//mc 9.2009//Bubba 07.2010//mc 10.2011//
    Bloggin' It
  • If I do ever have a girl, I would not be piercing her ears before she can take care of it herself. I feel like it would be a good first step in responsibility as they get older. I got mine pierced as a Communion gift and loved it.
  • We took DD#1 when she was 10 months, no infections and she did not play with them. I took DD#2 right after her 6 month shots.. Mean I know got it all done in one day, I gave her tylenol before we went to get her shots as well. She cried for a minute, but I got a TON of dirty looks from people passing by. She has never messed with them and she is 13 months and 2 days old now.
  • I got mine done when I was 2. I am glad I did bc they have never had issues, but I think I will wait for DD to ask when she is 3-4 years. 

I think DH thinks its too young though, we'll see.  

• FYI MomE2Be: Sent you a PM
  • its NMS on babies at all.

and i dont think its best to get it done early. my mom had mine done as an infant and my holes are 'lines' now - all stretched out because i grabbed them.

dd will have to be old enough to understand how to properly care for them.

• MomE2BeMomE2Be member

I think that is my biggest fear.. her not wanting them when she is older and then having holes in her ears that are unnecessary. I think they are SOOO CUTE! But I am just not sure yet.

I am glad my ears are pierced now but when I was 6 my mom pretty much made me get them done. Once they were done and I stopped crying and whining I liked them, and it was all the more reason to get lots of earrings for birthdays and holidays. I just don't know if I would rather get them done now when she won't be remembering it happening, or getting them done later and her crying and me feeling terrible about it. AHH.. What choices we have being moms huh! lol

• I'm having a boy - so, no piercing here :) but, I have to share my ear piercing story because I find it hilarious :)

My parents had agreed that when I was 10 I could get my ears pierced - I cried and begged to have them done - they stood by the "double-digits" rule! 

When I was 6 years old my mom went to Paris for two weeks to complete a course for a 2nd Master's degree...I cried and cried and my dad asked what he could do to get me to stop crying, I said, "Get my ears pierced..."

Well...for the ONLY time in my life, using the batting eyelash of a little daughter worked to manipulate my dad and I got my ears pierced...

My mom almost killed him when she got home!! ;) 

That said and done - I have ALWAYS had MAJOR infection issues with my ears - even with gold and platinum only...I went without them for almost 10 years and had them re-pierced at 26 years old...

• imageCoastieWife08:

Nope. Never.

DD will get her ears pierced when she's old enough to ask, take care of them, and we'll make it a mom/daughter day just like I had as a kid.

This.

• MomE2BeMomE2Be member

imageStevieJo:
    FYI MomE2Be: Sent you a PM

How do I check PM's? LOL... I am clueless

• If this was a girl we would absolutely get them done when she was a baby. Thats just what has always been done in our family and I don't see the big issue. I have two friends that waited until their DDs were about 3 and both of their LOs messed with them and got infected.
  • MomE2BeMomE2Be member
    imageamy0105:

I'm having a boy - so, no piercing here :) but, I have to share my ear piercing story because I find it hilarious :)

My parents had agreed that when I was 10 I could get my ears pierced - I cried and begged to have them done - they stood by the "double-digits" rule! 

When I was 6 years old my mom went to Paris for two weeks to complete a course for a 2nd Master's degree...I cried and cried and my dad asked what he could do to get me to stop crying, I said, "Get my ears pierced..."

Well...for the ONLY time in my life, using the batting eyelash of a little daughter worked to manipulate my dad and I got my ears pierced...

My mom almost killed him when she got home!! ;) 

That said and done - I have ALWAYS had MAJOR infection issues with my ears - even with gold and platinum only...I went without them for almost 10 years and had them re-pierced at 26 years old...

That's so cute.. DH would totally give in to DD if she asked for them.. or anything at all in that matter, lol. He's got a sore spot for batting little eye lashes, and he always says, "if she looks anything like you, i'm screwed" lol

Aww poor DH!

• imageMomE2Be:

imageStevieJo:
    FYI MomE2Be: Sent you a PM

How do I check PM's? LOL... I am clueless

On the left side under "my boards" click "Check Private Messages"

• I'm having a boy but if I were having a girl I wouldn't get her ears pierced until she was old enough to ask for it.
  • imagebeebcaf:
    I personally wouldn't do it, if this baby is a girl we'll wait until she's old enough to want it. What if she doesn't want them pierced? My sister is 26 and has never had a desire to have her ears pierced so I know that does happen. I guess I just wouldn't feel right making that kind of decision about her body for her.

This! 

• Babies = Not for bedazzling.

Rainbow baby due in September!
    .image
    May Siggy Challenge - Favorite Onscreen Mom
    image  image
  • If we have a girl ear piercing will be delayed until at least 12 years old.  At that point, if she is interested and mature enough to handle the cleaning and everything associated with new piercings, she can have them done. 

I couldn't wait to be 12 and get my ears pierced (it was part of my party, my mom took me and 6 of my friends and they all watched while I got my ears pierced), within just a couple of years I wasn't really interested in earrings anymore.  I'm almost 32 and only wear earrings on special occasions and honestly most of the time have to re-poke my holes when I do.

• I'm waiting until DD asks to have them done. She's definitely not ready yet.

I have a lot of allergies and am allergic to many types of metal. I can't wear any costume jewelry at all. I don't want to risk DD having the same or similar allergies and then having her ears get infected. If we'd done it as a baby, she wouldn't have been able to tell me if something was wrong.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • We'll get our LOs done after she has her shots. I'm thinking sometime around 3-6 months old.

• I had my daughters done at 6 months or so and it was ok but They wound up being uneven as she got older and one was at the bottom of the lobe and we were worried it would rip out so we had to let that one close then get it re-pierced to make both even. However she took it alot better as a baby than she did when she was 5 so if I have a girl this time i would defiantly get them done as a baby again!
  • If you know you're going to pierce DD's ears then I would definitely do it while she is still an infant.  My pedi's office does it at 6 months.  They even supply the earrings which are 14K gold CZ studs...so cute.  DD has been wearing them ever since.  

Honestly, the worst part about it was when we were holding her down so her doctor could mark the spots on her ears.  The actual piercing was so quick that she stopped crying 5 seconds after the second one was done.  DD has never played with them, they never got infected, and I love that we got it done for her.

I won't lie and and say it wasn't a PITA to clean them every single day. But that's what you have to do.  I had to clean them every night and put an ointment on right afterwards for 4 weeks.  DD hated it, but like clipping nails, they get over it.   

• I would check with your pedi.  Mine wouldn't until 6 mo and DD got hers at 10 mo because she had surgery at 9 mo and I didn't want to chance them closing.  Make sure you get extra earring studs that are for babies.  DD hated the ones they used for piercing and cries if anything but gold balls are in her ear (stones seem to dig into her lobe).  They do cry and it's hard to watch but they get over it.
  • We are Team Green, so we have considered many boy and girl issues. If we have a girl we will be getting her ears pierced ASAP, while her immunity would be boosted by BF-ing. Why wait?
    Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
  • Nope - not until they are old enough - and I don't consider 3-4 old enough.  I would say 8.  I remember when i got mine done and it was so special with me and my mom on my bday and I have never had a problem with the piercing.  I later got double pierced and then one on my upper ear, but I don't wear anything in them now. 

My husbands family does get thier's done as infants - I think i ts a cultural thing and I personally think its ghetto.... whatever get it or don't but not my child

• toyah81toyah81 member

There is nothing wrong with getting a baby girl's ears pierced and it's certainly not "ghetto" IMO. No one is trying to tattoo them for goodness sakes. As far as waiting until they are old enough to ask for them, that's not always the best thing either. I asked for them at 9, didn't care for them properly, they closed up and I had to get them redone at 13. I was always mad at my Mom because she did my older sister's when she was a baby and they never closed up. Granted, my sis doesn't even wear earrings now (I still do) but she's also not "upset" that my Mom got them pierced before she had any say. They are two small holes that you can barely even see - it's not like someone putting bullet size holes in the child's ear.

Some people make a big deal out of this topic on here every few months it seems and it's a little ridic to me. To each, their own. It's their children, so as long as it's not illegal or harmful, it shouldn't matter to others....

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Personally, earrings on babies are not my style at all.

I see it as a rite of passage for an older child or preteen. I would rather let her decide if she wants her ears pierced once she starts getting into fashion, hair styles, nail polish, etc. If she wants it done, I would want to make a girls day out of it and allow her to choose the earrings.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"