Babies: 6 - 9 Months

So I have a puffs question...

I was looking at these things in the store the other day since I hear about them so much on here.  It says they're for crawlers though, or I think one brand said 10 months.  I know I see a lot of bumpies with 6 and 7 month olds giving them though.  So how do you know when is the "right" time?  I guess I'm just afraid of choking.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: So I have a puffs question...

• I actually break them up into 6 pieces.  She loves to suck on them, but she can't pick them up yet.  We use them to keep her happy during dinner time.  We're trying to establish the dinner time routine with baby at the table in her high chair.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I believe it also says if your LO mashes food in their mouth you can start them. The whole crawler/10 mos thing doesn't make sense to me, because a lot of babies crawl much earlier than that.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejennybeams:
    I actually break them up into 6 pieces.  She loves to suck on them, but she can't pick them up yet.  We use them to keep her happy during dinner time.  We're trying to establish the dinner time routine with baby at the table in her high chair.

not to highjack in on the post, but we have just started this too...the "family dinner at the table" routine...put Leighton in her high chair with toys or feed her some solids and we all eat together

• You will know when the right time is.  I started baby girl on puffs a month ago and just last night I was comfortable enough (and so was she) to eat a whole puff without gagging.  I used to break them in pieces and put a piece in the side of her mouth so she could learn to move the piece around with her tounge and mash it up. 
  • I will be waiting until he develops his pincer grasp. 
  • Maybe Aidan is weird.. he will (sometimes) pick up a whole puff and gum it until it's gone. He hasn't even gagged once on them. Never occured to me to break it up, he seems to do fine with the whole!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    http://i41.tinypic.com/111ov4j.jpg
    2007-Sept 2008: TTC the old fashioned way
    Sept 2008 - Jan 2009: Clomid 100mg
    Feb 2009: 200mg Clomid = BFP! on March 20, 2009 - It's a BOY!
    Nov 26th 2009: Aidan Michael, 20.5" 7lb12oz
    Feb 2010: Start TTC again, the old fashioned way
    Mar - June 2011: Clomid 100mg
    July 2011: Unmedicated cycle = BFP! on August 29th, 2011
    Nov 6th 2011: m/c due to subchorionic hematoma
    Dec 2011: Start TTC again, unmedicated
    February 12th, 2012: BFP! EDD 10/23/12
    Mar 12th 2012: diagnosed as blighted ovum
    Trying again..
  • I haven't even started to think about these yet! I get so worried about choking too. My lil man will start coughing on his cereal once in a while- even though it's plenty "runny".
  • We started them just after 7 months.  At first DS would "gag" on them, but now he's completely fine with them.  He hasn't developed his pincer grasp yet so he gets frustrated if he can't get them in his mouth, so we just help him.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I was nervous about it at first, too. But DS loves them and has never had a problem with them at all. He's been eating them since he was about 6.5 months. I buy the Happy Baby brand ones because they are organic, have half the sugar, and they seem to melt much quicker than the Gerber ones (I had to test them :) )
  • We started DS on the puff's at about 7 months after putting a lot of thought in it because I also try to stay with the "stages" it suggests, I didn't break them up but watched carefully. He couldn't put them in his mouth at first but he's getting the hang of it now so I think maybe it's helped the pincher grab technique. I've heard the off brands melt a bit faster. Someone mentioned the sugar in a post but I haven't compared those either.. shame on me. The Yogurt Melts I break into 4 pieces, those are pretty good too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"