2nd Trimester

Baby name stalemate with DH

I want: Nathan Joseph
He wants: Thomas Joseph

We've been stuck in this spot for about a month and neither person is budging. The only name we can agree on is Charles, but alas, it's my dog's name since before we rescued him...so that's out. We've been through the SS list to try and find another name that we both like, but no luck. We'll see who wins. I'm working on wearing him down little by little!

Anyone else have this problem with the baby's name?

Re: Baby name stalemate with DH

• DLD102DLD102 member

We've narrowed it down to two and since I chose DD's name, I thought it would be nice for him to choose DD#2's name...

Best advice?  Maybe come to a compromise on two names you both like and opt to name him when you meet him?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby #3! BFP 10/20/12 EDD 6/27/13
  • Yep!  I love the name Brady - DH not so much, he likes Breydan (i think thats how you spell it).  ONe of those he knew a guy years ago he didn't like blah.  I told him when he goes through 9 months of pregnancy and labor then he can choose the child's name.  Since that can't physically happen - I am pretty sure if it's a boy his name will be Brady. :) IMO I like both names you have picked out.  Good Luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh lord Yes!!! We can't agree either! I like names like Xavier, Ryder, Brookes, Kaiyah and Cullen...HE likes ridiculous Roman God names like Leonidus, Maximus and Sparticus etc... Help! lol! Good luck babe! xx
  • Sounds like DH and I! I kept pushing the name Riley because I really liked it, but DH hated it. One day he came home from work and said Rylan.. it was his alternative to Riley. I just gave in and of course, we found out a week later it was a boy :) Rylan it is!
  • I'm not a big fan of Thomas, it makes me think of Thomas the Train.  What about James or Liam?  I wanted Bruce for a boy, but DH hated it.  So we found something we both love.  We didn't really use the SS list, more like TV shows/movie characters from when we were younger.  I figure for a boy I'll defer to him more, since for a girl he has no clue.  You could offer to flip a coin, and hope for the best!  I prefer your name choice but I think it's pretty popular these days.  Maybe there's a football player or something named Nathan he really likes lol?  We'd name our kid Drew (as in Brees) but his cousin is already Andrew.  You can reel him in with a sports or character association:) 

• imagejulieanna21:

I'm not a big fan of Thomas, it makes me think of Thomas the Train.  What about James or Liam?  I wanted Bruce for a boy, but DH hated it.  So we found something we both love.  We didn't really use the SS list, more like TV shows/movie characters from when we were younger.  I figure for a boy I'll defer to him more, since for a girl he has no clue.  You could offer to flip a coin, and hope for the best!  I prefer your name choice but I think it's pretty popular these days.  Maybe there's a football player or something named Nathan he really likes lol?  We'd name our kid Drew (as in Brees) but his cousin is already Andrew.  You can reel him in with a sports or character association:) 

So funny you say this! I suggested Peyton either way - actually Payton Lynn for a girl, Peyton Shawn for a boy. DH told me Peyton was a sissy name for a boy.. I told him "Well what about Peyton Manning? He's not a sissy!" DH then said "He's not a sissy, but his name is." So Peyton was dropped quickly for a boy. I suggested Sam (like Sam Bradford, we're HUGE OU fans, he has season tickets to OU football and I'm a student there) and another name.. which I can't remember now. He poo poo'd on all of them.

• imageMandaBeth582:
    imagejulieanna21:

Maybe there's a football player or something named Nathan he really likes lol?  We'd name our kid Drew (as in Brees) but his cousin is already Andrew.  You can reel him in with a sports or character association:) 

So funny you say this! I suggested Peyton either way - actually Payton Lynn for a girl, Peyton Shawn for a boy. DH told me Peyton was a sissy name for a boy.. I told him "Well what about Peyton Manning? He's not a sissy!" DH then said "He's not a sissy, but his name is." So Peyton was dropped quickly for a boy. I suggested Sam (like Sam Bradford, we're HUGE OU fans, he has season tickets to OU football and I'm a student there) and another name.. which I can't remember now. He poo poo'd on all of them.

It's sounds like your DH is more creative than mine lol (i.e. your agreed on name choice, which I love!).  Mine even brought up Pierre (as in Thomas), but thankfully the next door neighbor bought a puppy and named him Pierre Thomas first lol.  I actually really like the name Brady but scratched it because Tom Brady is not my thing.  I guess we're a football family.  Funny thing is, we're turning into a Dukes of Hazzard family, because our dog is named Rosco, and our boy name is now Beau!  Our second name choice is Duke, hehe.

• imagejulieanna21:
    imageMandaBeth582:
    imagejulieanna21:

Maybe there's a football player or something named Nathan he really likes lol?  We'd name our kid Drew (as in Brees) but his cousin is already Andrew.  You can reel him in with a sports or character association:) 

It's sounds like your DH is more creative than mine lol (i.e. your agreed on name choice, which I love!).  Mine even brought up Pierre (as in Thomas), but thankfully the next door neighbor bought a puppy and named him Pierre Thomas first lol.  I actually really like the name Brady but scratched it because Tom Brady is not my thing.  I guess we're a football family.  Funny thing is, we're turning into a Dukes of Hazzard family, because our dog is named Rosco, and our boy name is now Beau!  Our second name choice is Duke, hehe.

We have a Roscoe and Daisy on our house!  My DH's nickname is Cooter - can you tell he's from GA?

• imagejulieanna21:

I'm not a big fan of Thomas, it makes me think of Thomas the Train.  What about James or Liam?  I wanted Bruce for a boy, but DH hated it.  So we found something we both love.  We didn't really use the SS list, more like TV shows/movie characters from when we were younger.  I figure for a boy I'll defer to him more, since for a girl he has no clue.  You could offer to flip a coin, and hope for the best!  I prefer your name choice but I think it's pretty popular these days.  Maybe there's a football player or something named Nathan he really likes lol?  We'd name our kid Drew (as in Brees) but his cousin is already Andrew.  You can reel him in with a sports or character association:) 

Yeah, I'm not a big Thomas fan, either. But he'd be called Tom or Tommy. Thomas would really just be a formality...you know, a nice formal name to go on his PhD. :-)

Our last name is very long and very Italian so it sort of automatically rules out a bunch of names we like...Liam being one.

I really liked Drew, but we called the baby that for a few weeks to get a feel for it and it just wasn't sticking. Nate, however, is sticking just fine with me! DH's name is Nick and the baby would have the same initials as he does, so I'm pulling out that card these days.

• I had an issue with a boy name as well since DH wanted to name baby after him his father his grandftather etc...and i think DH that do that are just seflish :P i mean the baby gets his last name why does he have to have your whole name! plus i dont like common names and tom is super common...yes i dont like thomas either.  we finally compromised although little boy will get two middle names its ok. 

but it depends on what kind of names your looking for

we came up with these before finally agreeing

clayton,aiden, rorke, ronan, rhys (reese), Kale, titus, grayson, soren, silas, raiden. nolan. liam,  

• MSC03MSC03 member

Thomas Joseph is my dad's name. Joseph is actually my dad's and both grandpa's middle names.

I love Thomas Joseph (TJ is a cute nickname, too). If we were having a boy, we were going to name him Liam Thomas. We also considered Liam Alexander or Alexander Joseph.

You've got time--eventually one of these names will grow on you more than the other and one of you will cave. Just be open.

imageimage
  • candr09candr09 member
    Who says you need to name the baby now? You've narrowed it down to two names, so wait till he's born and then decide. He may come out and you may think to yourself "he doesn't look/seem like a nathan at all, thomas seems like a much better fit!" or vice versa. I've never believed in naming a  baby while its still in womb. I think you need to meet it and get a feel for it first.
    and i thought i loved you then <3<a href="http://daisypath.com/">Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Missed Miscarriage discovered at 9w6d
    D&E 10.27.2011
    I'll love you forever Baby Speck Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • erbearerbear member
    Stupid question, but why not Joseph since you both agree on it?
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"