December 2010 Moms

Worst advice you've received

Ok, so I think we did this some time ago, but now that more of us have outted ourselves (or been outted), what's the worst advice you've received?

Mine:  If the baby doesn't sleep well, you can drink a glass of red wine to help them sleep (obviously in regards to breastfeeding).

Um, no thanks...

Honor3 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Worst advice you've received

• I've had several people tell me not to worry about quitting smoking..."I smoked the entire time I was pregnant and my child is perfect." Oh, and try smoking pot to help with morning sickness. Why in the world would you encourage a pregnant woman to do such things?!?!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't received much advice yet - mostly because we have only told a handful of close family and friends.  I'm just waiting for the bad advice to roll in when we go public next week after the 12 week appt. 

The worst advice we got when TTC was "relax."  I hated that.  As if I didn't know that stressing out about it would make it worse. 

• Loading the player...
  • mine was things i couldnt do.  all things that are outdated.  i wasnt allowed to pet my cat? um yes i can pet my cat i cant clean the box.  or getting my hair done i couldnt do that either...WTF? after an arguement with family members i inally sent them the link to the APA and that shut the up. same with the no fish eating allowed thing GRRRR
  • imageJenM9:
    I've had several people tell me not to worry about quitting smoking..."I smoked the entire time I was pregnant and my child is perfect." Oh, and try smoking pot to help with morning sickness. Why in the world would you encourage a pregnant woman to do such things?!?!

Someone told me that too.

I looked at them and said, "Oh, so if I start gaining too much weight with the baby I should probably start doing coke too, right???" Moron.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My grandma: "Start stocking up on baby things now. Because even if you don't need them this time, you'll use them next time". You know, because implying I might have a miscarriage is SO comforting.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I haven't.  No one knows yet.  I love it.

My BFF did say her doctor said no biking, like not even stationary or recumbent bike, which made me cry cause I LOVE biking.  Then I asked my doctor and she said "It's totally fine. Enjoy your summer."  So I'm good.

• I haven't had any yet, maybe because this is my 2nd?  But even the first time no pregnancy advice was worse than infertility advice.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageJenM9:
    I've had several people tell me not to worry about quitting smoking..."I smoked the entire time I was pregnant and my child is perfect." Oh, and try smoking pot to help with morning sickness. Why in the world would you encourage a pregnant woman to do such things?!?!

LOL I was just telling DH how smoking a little pot would really help with the queasiness and insomnia!!! Geeked

My MIL asked me if I was still smoking and she looked pretty disappointed when I was utterly shocked at the question and said "of course not!!!!". She was like "well some women still smoke, but just cut down" and I was like "are you kidding me? why would I want to risk the health of my baby for something so selfish???" she wasn't too happy about that, but she's the one with 5 kids- 2 of which (adults) can't even read!!!! Uhhh duh!!!

Anyway, the most horrifying advice I got was to rough up my nipples (you probably read the post a few days ago). 

• Pick the baby up too much and you'll spoil it. Rubbish.
    Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • "Don't bring any baby items into the house until 7 months cause you might carry to term." Um thanks. Sorry but I am choosing to be 100% happy and believe until I have any reason to think differently - can't crush my bubble!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"