Baby Names

Name too Common??

I need help, we don't know what we are having, and I love our top picks for boys names (Braxton or Declan) But ever since I first became pregnant I LOVE the name Ava combined with the middle name Dawn (my middle name and my mom's name) so her name would be Ava Dawn however I am worried that this name is to common and when she starts going to schoold she will be like one of 5 Ava's in her class.  Any suggestions on girl names I also love the name Isla but my girlfriend named her little one that.  Help!!

Re: Name too Common??

• Ava Dawn is a really pretty name!  it might be popular but it's not THAT popular, so I don't think you'd have to worry about there being more than one per class.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think Ava is pretty, but its being run into the ground. What about Isabelle and call her Isa? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Keep in mind that some names are "popular" but not in every area.  For example, Ava is very popular.  It's currently number one in Ohio, but I don't know of a single person with that name.

I wouldn't give up on a name that you love just because it might be popular.

• Ava is not a popular name around here (IL).  I think you should go for it whether it's popular or not.

• pawcallpawcall member
    imageJulieF:

Keep in mind that some names are "popular" but not in every area.  For example, Ava is very popular.  It's currently number one in Ohio, but I don't know of a single person with that name.

I wouldn't give up on a name that you love just because it might be popular.

This, definitely.  Our names are all pretty popular and we're fine with that.  What's important is that YOU like the name (and imo, it's also important that you aren't totally socially crippling your child with the name you choose - but none of your names should run you into that problem :))

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• if you love it, go with!!!  its a beautiful name :)
  • Ava is super cute, but its really popular. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it. II doubt there would be 5 in the kindergarten class, but I don't think you LO would be the only one either. Without checking, I believe it was #5 on SS list for 2009. For me thats too popular, but my DDs name is like #700-something.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • imagebabyonthebrain2010:
    Ava Dawn is a really pretty name!  it might be popular but it's not THAT popular, so I don't think you'd have to worry about there being more than one per class.

It actually IS "that popular."  I mean, it is #5 for 2009, so I consider that to be extremely popular.  It is like the Melissa, Sarah, Amy or Heather of our generation, just to give you some perspective.  

Personally, I wouldn't use a name (even one that I LOVED) if it was too popular and trendy.  There are so many names out there, you are bound to fall in love with another one.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You could use both names all the time, esp. if you love them together. It would help eliminate confusion.
    Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Nest! Anniversary
    VOTE on my Name List image 7 anovulatory cycles, 1 cycle 50 mg clomid, 4 cycles 100mg clomid, HSG double blockage, hysteroscopy with cyst and debris removal, fermara/IUI attempt abandoned because of anovulation, follistim/IUI attempt coming soon!
  • my middle name is actually dawn as well... its more of a traditional name but its Heather Dawn (not as common today)
  • Name her what you like. There were multiple Amanda's in my classes and it didn't scar me. :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It really IS pretty popular (in my circle of friends/family we have three) but if you love it, go for it. That being said, there are TONS of names out there, so if you're worried, thengive it more thought.  I love nymbler.com. YOu type in the names you like and it brings up other ideas that you might like as well. Good luck. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"