Baby Names

Siri

SEER-ee 

Have you heard it before?

What do you think of it?

Should it be short for something else?

Re: Siri

• OMF'gG

If someone hasn't heard it, a la TomKat's kid, they've been living under a ROCK!!!!!!!

What do I think of it?  I think it sounds like you have a TomKat obsession and that it's barely a real name. 

• imagegibs:

OMF'gG

If someone hasn't heard it, a la TomKat's kid, they've been living under a ROCK!!!!!!!

What do I think of it?  I think it sounds like you have a TomKat obsession and that it's barely a real name. 

i thought their kid was Suri.  it's close to what she said, but it is slightly different, isn't it?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageTexas77again:
    imagegibs:

OMF'gG

i thought their kid was Suri.  it's close to what she said, but it is slightly different, isn't it?

TomKat's daughter is Suri.

IMO I don't like Siri or Suri

• It makes me want to add "is" at the end.  You know... Siri-is as in serious.  No.  It's really bad.
  • ames71ames71 member
    imagegibs:

OMF'gG

It's Suri, not Siri.

For the OP: Is it an Indian name? I think it has a pretty sound, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageames17:
    imagegibs:

OMF'gG

It's Suri, not Siri.

For the OP: Is it an Indian name? I think it has a pretty sound, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with it.

According to baby name websites, it's of Scandinavian origin as a variation of Sigrid, meaning "beautiful victory".  I did not make it up, and I did not get it from any celebrity couple.

• ames71ames71 member
    imagedarkskyy:
    imageames17:
    imagegibs:

OMF'gG

It's Suri, not Siri.

According to baby name websites, it's of Scandinavian origin as a variation of Sigrid, meaning "beautiful victory".  I did not make it up, and I did not get it from any celebrity couple.

haha... I just looked it up too because I was curious. I found this: https://www.birthvillage.com/Name/Siri

Looks like there are Indian, Scandinavian and Swahili etymologies. I like the meaning. Are you considering using Siri as a nn for Sigid?

• vilarovilaro member
    My word people, it is a real name in Sweden, Germany and in the Swahili language. And it's no worse than all the crap Teagan and Brayden bullshiit names on this board. 
    TTC #2
    BFP 3/28/16 (EDD 12/9/16) * Chemical pregnancy
    ME: 40 yrs.old
    DH: 41 yrs.old
    DD: 5 yrs.

• imagevilaro:
    My word people, it is a real name in Sweden, Germany and in the Swahili language. And it's no worse than all the crap Teagan and Brayden bullshiit names on this board. 

You obviously don't venture here much if you chose Teagan and Brayden as the name choices of this board.  

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • vilarovilaro member
    imagekrissyh21:

imagevilaro:

You obviously don't venture here much if you chose Teagan and Brayden as the name choices of this board.  

No, I actually do lurk quite a bit and post at times. And these names come up quite a bit. In fact, there was a Teagan post about 2 days ago. Thanks though. 

TTC #2

• imagevilaro:

LOL

• imagevilaro:
    imagekrissyh21:

imagevilaro:

No, I actually do lurk quite a bit and post at times. And these names come up quite a bit. In fact, there was a Teagan post about 2 days ago. Thanks though. 

And everyone liked it?  

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • vilarovilaro member
    imagekrissyh21:
    imagevilaro:
    imagekrissyh21:

imagevilaro:

And everyone liked it?  

Hey Krissy - Yeah I went back to read all the comments on that Teagan post. Looks like there were quite a few objections but overall the name goes over well. I just find those "egan" "ayden" ending names really cutesy and annoying. And I must be on this board coincidentally when it gets raised and most say what a great name it is. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Here's the link:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/36810098.aspx

TTC #2

• ames71ames71 member

imagevilaro:

I've definitely noticed that if posters here have never heard of a name, that it's automatically a "made up" name, rather than one they simply have no knowledge of themselves.

• vilarovilaro member
    imageames17:

imagevilaro:

I've definitely noticed that if posters here have never heard of a name, that it's automatically a "made up" name, rather than one they simply have no knowledge of themselves.

Very well said.

TTC #2

• I sounds very similiar to Kate & Tom's baby and I think you will get a lot of comments about that.  Not sure if you mind, but a lot of people may think you knocked that off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageames17:
    imagedarkskyy:
    imageames17:
    imagegibs:

OMF'gG

It's Suri, not Siri.

haha... I just looked it up too because I was curious. I found this: https://www.birthvillage.com/Name/Siri

Looks like there are Indian, Scandinavian and Swahili etymologies. I like the meaning. Are you considering using Siri as a nn for Sigid?

Not considering using Sigrid at all!  Just was trying to give the background of the name...

I know someone named Siri, and I actually do love the name. (Don't really care that it's being bashed here). 

I was asking because I'm slightly uncomfortable using a name that I've only heard once before, because I don't want it to seem like I'm using the name of some long lost friend.  I was just more curious if other people had heard it - it would make me feel more comfortable using a name that other people have heard floated around.  None of it matters either way, but you all know all too well what's it's like to over thing the names you're considering!

The "tomkat" answers mean absolutely zero to me, since Suri and Siri are not even different versions of each other.  And I think they sound completely different.  To those that just don't like it, oh well, I don't like more than half the names floated around here - it's not child abuse to name your kid something that other people don't like.  Thank you for those with helpful feedback!

• This was my highschool english teacher's LAST name.  I didn't like her very much lol.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I came across it recently researching an article on the reverse baby name trend ... it is Iris backwards. I honestly thought it was really pretty and even better as it's a standalone name! It is awfully close to Suri but heck, who cares. LOL.
  • Siri is one of my absolute favorite names for a girl. I lived in Norway and knew a girl there named Siri. It can be short for Sigrid, but I like it just as Siri. It is definitely not the name of Tom Cruise's daughter. I am debating between Siri, Lara, and Isla for a girl name. Love it! Go for it.
  • Yes, it did remind me of TomKat's kid. And that's from someone who doesn't own a TV. However, I did not think you were just trying to copy them by changing it a little. My first thought was "I haven't heard that before. I wonder what the origin is."

A pp said it well about how on this board if people haven't heard a name before they tend to assume it's made up. Yes, sometimes people just make up names, but for some reason that wasn't my first thought here.

I think this name could grow on me. I might try to find a name it could be short for. However, that might just be because I tend to like names that have nn possibilities.

All that matters is that you like it! GL!

• It makes me think of a Survivor contestant, Cirie.  She pronounces it Suh-REE.  I like both pronunciations, it's a nice name.
  • I have a good friend named Siri.  I like it.  It's a very Norweigian name. 
    Cy (04.02.2008) & June (10.05.2010) 
  • I think it's fine if you are honoring your Scandinavian or Indian heritage.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I've heard it before (from a friend who lived in Sweden), I like it, and I don't think it should be short for something else.?

• imagesigningbaby:
    I came across it recently researching an article on the reverse baby name trend ... it is Iris backwards. I honestly thought it was really pretty and even better as it's a standalone name! It is awfully close to Suri but heck, who cares. LOL.

Oh my. It's probably not too far away a day that someone will name their girl/boy twins Nevaeh and Traeh. Yuck.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I like Siri and Suri although I do see how they look like nicknames but I wouldn't go out of my way to name my child something else just to use the "nickname".

I don't understand the backlash of it sounds like Suri Cruise. So many names come circling the population after celebrities: Ava Witherspoon, Isla Fisher, even Kingston's on the top 1000 ssa site now.

• imagezoe_cat:
    It makes me think of a Survivor contestant, Cirie.  She pronounces it Suh-REE.  I like both pronunciations, it's a nice name.

This is what I think. I like Cirie a little better I think. 

imageimage
  • fwiw I think it's a really pretty name!! 
  • imageI'mAcrossThePond:

imagezoe_cat:
    It makes me think of a Survivor contestant, Cirie.  She pronounces it Suh-REE.  I like both pronunciations, it's a nice name.

This is what I think. I like Cirie a little better I think. 

Me too.

• britabbritab member
    I know a Siri from high school. She is nice and smart. I like Seri as well.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Love it! I personally know two girls that name - my niece and my best friend's daughter (both of them live in Sweden though).
  • I have heard of Suri (Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes) and Seri (a student of mine) but never Siri....
    Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Nest! Anniversary
    VOTE on my Name List image 7 anovulatory cycles, 1 cycle 50 mg clomid, 4 cycles 100mg clomid, HSG double blockage, hysteroscopy with cyst and debris removal, fermara/IUI attempt abandoned because of anovulation, follistim/IUI attempt coming soon!
  • I know a little girl named Brooke Siri.  I think it's beautiful - it's Swedish or something. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"