Attachment Parenting

Sling Tips?

I have a lovely ring sling from Sleeping Baby and I've never figured out how to use it comfortably.  DS always seems to slip down and get covered up, or it digs in to my shoulder, etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong, because there are so many people who love their RS.  Does anyone have a site with videos or some other suggestions for me to find love in my RS?

Re: Sling Tips?

• One early mistake I made was not spreading the fabric over my shoulder.  The fabric on the ring side of the sling should be spread out, from your collar bone to your bicep... it looks like a cap-sleeve t-shirt on me.  That distributes the weight and supports baby better.
    IMG_3932
  • Loading the player...
  • QuazelQuazel member

imageJustJanie:
    One early mistake I made was not spreading the fabric over my shoulder.  The fabric on the ring side of the sling should be spread out, from your collar bone to your bicep... it looks like a cap-sleeve t-shirt on me.  That distributes the weight and supports baby better.

This is key.  I am comfortable when the weight falls most heavily toward my arm (still on my shoulder) rather than anywhere near my neck.

Here is how I put mine on, hopefully it will make sense even though it isn't a SBP.  And pics would really help us help you!

I put the sling on with the rings almost circling the end of my shoulder. 

I put DS in, pull it around him, support his weight, and tighten the lower rail.  The rings will move down a little. 

On an SBP, make sure the fabric is spread out over your shoulder.

I then tighten the top rail almost all the way.  Rings slide down a little more. Be sure the shoulder remains spread.

I make sure DS' shirt is lying flat then adjust each rail a slight bit.  The rings end up just lower than my collarbone and kind of to the right of it (right shoulder).  The weight is heaviest on the outside of my shoulder.

I hope that made sense.  I have enormous RS love and don't want you to give up!  Page me if I can be of any more help and post pics if you can.  GL!

• I am glad you posted this because I just got a Comfy Joey in the mail with no instructions (other than to go online for info).  Boo :( 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • A friend just asked me about this earlier today... I posted a couple of youtube videos that I really liked here...

https://babywearingitup.blogspot.com/2010/05/helpful-videos-for-infant-ring-sling.html

• SFL! My sling should be here in a couple of days : )
  • One tip that I don't see mentioned is to keep his knees higher than his butt.  That should keep him from slipping down.  Oh and that is assuming you are wearing him tummy to tummy or in a hip carry. :)  Make sure the fabric is nice and spread along your back, and that your rings are in the corsage position.  If it is digging in from being too tight, loosen the whole thing, then tighten only the top rail.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"