Baby Names

WDYT

Love to hear some thoughts on these....

Isla Mirielle G.                 (EYEla Meer-E-elle)

Gunnar Carrick G.         

Just curious!

<3 DCRider
Baby girl due 1/22/14!

Re: WDYT

• Your girls name is pretty. Not a fan of Gunnar at all.
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • I think any name that you have to spell out phonetically when asking for opinions is not a good idea.  Your poor child, having to never hear her name pronounced correctly, ever. 

I don't like Gunnar.  I don't like Carrick.  I don't like them together.  They're both too "nouveau" or something.  But that's just my opinion.

• Loading the player...
  • I love Isla - i wanted it as our girl choice. My husband wouldnt go for it.  Maybe he was right.  I love the sound of it - but every one will say EEsla - like i USED to think it was!
  • A child named Isla will continually be correcting people on the pronunciation of her name.  If you're okay with that, go for it.  Otherwise, it's a lovely name.

Gunnar has massive potential for teasing.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Love Isla, really dislike Gunnar
  • gunnar is horrible
    isla isnt bad..but i have a friend who named her daughter that and no one gets it right!
  • I really love the way "Isla" sounds but it's going to be hard on her to have to constantly correct people.  Trust me I have one of those names and to this day I remember my first day of kindergarten & running out of the room crying because she couldn't say my name right.  Never mind substitute teachers, etc.
  • none of the above.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I really like both names.  I think since Isla has been gaining some popularity, more people know how to pronounce it. 
  • JaimeCHJaimeCH member
    imagegibs:

I think any name that you have to spell out phonetically when asking for opinions is not a good idea.  Your poor child, having to never hear her name pronounced correctly, ever. 

I don't like Gunnar.  I don't like Carrick.  I don't like them together.  They're both too "nouveau" or something.  But that's just my opinion.

This. I would think it is ees-la. What do you think of Lila? It has basically the same sound, and not any confusion. When I saw Isla, it reminded me of a girl named Isa (ees-ah) which is kind of similar as well.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • DCriderDCrider member

Thanks :) outside insight is nice. We chose them for a combo of meaning and Irish roots.

For Isla, I know its pronounced EYEla, but I kind of like it EESla I guess we could say it however we want...

Gunnar, DH likes b/c it means warrior (he's a Marine) and he just loves that.

<3 DCRider
    Baby girl due 1/22/14!

• I love Isla.

Gunnar is NMS. 

edit: I don't agree with the notion of NOT naming your child because some people may not know how to pronounce it right away. Who cares. 

• Love the girl name...not so much the boy though...NMS!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimage

• MrsMeMoMrsMeMo member
    I'm not a fan of any name for which you feel the need to show the pronunciation of. :-(
  • Love your girl name

hate your boy name

• jpblingjpbling member
    I love them both!
  • Has no one heard of Isla Fisher?

I really dislike the boys name

• Ivee4Ivee4 member
    I am in the minority but I LOVE Gunnar. It is so manly but I also know a little boy Gunnar and he is so cute.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • absolutely LOVE Isla, Gunnar is nms. However, I do like Gunther....
    Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Nest! Anniversary
    VOTE on my Name List image 7 anovulatory cycles, 1 cycle 50 mg clomid, 4 cycles 100mg clomid, HSG double blockage, hysteroscopy with cyst and debris removal, fermara/IUI attempt abandoned because of anovulation, follistim/IUI attempt coming soon!
  • mgrulkemgrulke member

girl name ok

boy name is horrible, it's a person that you are having NOT a dog

• Scout05Scout05 member

I love Isla, and honestly? So she corrects new people the first time she meets them. Eh. It's a pretty name.

Gunnar sounds like a dog's name to me, sorry. I actually know two pups (both American Bulldogs, oddly) named Gunnar.

• I love the girl name, the boy name is not my style.
    Baby #2 is on his/her way! BFP 11/09/11 Maddison is going to be a big sister!!! save the date BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Isla, and I'm really surprised that people have trouble pronouncing it. It's becoming more and more common, though, so I think that'll help.

Gunnar is okay, but not really my style. Same thing for Carrick, but of course middle names aren't used as much so there's less pressure there.

(And I would have pronounced Mirielle correctly, without the guide.)

• imagegibs:

I think any name that you have to spell out phonetically when asking for opinions is not a good idea.  Your poor child, having to never hear her name pronounced correctly, ever. 

This.

• LOVE Isla! Its getting popular over here (uk)  so I knew how to pronounce instantly, IMO not especially keen on the other names, but ultimately its your baby... Big Smile

• imagekrissyh21:
    Your girls name is pretty. Not a fan of Gunnar at all.

This.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"