1st Trimester

Anyone BFing while pg?

I'm still BFing my dd but I was wondering if anything wacky is going to happen to my supply. Anyone experience this or am I some freak of nature getting pg while still bfing?

Re: Anyone BFing while pg?

• I am!! so far I haven't noticed anything, but I will have to tell you if your OB is not on board with you nursing while PG they will try and force you to stop... Mine is very supportive and said that there maybe a drop in supply but it will come back, and that it may be possible around 20 weeks that the milk will change back to colostrum and LO may not like that and wean himself.. HTH
  • I still bf ds, only about 3 times a day. My supply decreased for the first couple weeks and I thought I was going to have to wean, but it's back to normal now.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBlueyedgrl:
    I am!! so far I haven't noticed anything, but I will have to tell you if your OB is not on board with you nursing while PG they will try and force you to stop... Mine is very supportive and said that there maybe a drop in supply but it will come back, and that it may be possible around 20 weeks that the milk will change back to colostrum and LO may not like that and wean himself.. HTH

Crap. I am def high-risk this time around, I wonder if I should mention this when I call to make the 1st appt.

• HyfagalHyfagal member

So if you're still BFing when the second baby is born do you still produce colostrum after the birth or does it just stay normal milk?

ETA: Nevermind! I should have read the responses first.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHeather1979:

imageBlueyedgrl:
    I am!! so far I haven't noticed anything, but I will have to tell you if your OB is not on board with you nursing while PG they will try and force you to stop... Mine is very supportive and said that there maybe a drop in supply but it will come back, and that it may be possible around 20 weeks that the milk will change back to colostrum and LO may not like that and wean himself.. HTH

Crap. I am def high-risk this time around, I wonder if I should mention this when I call to make the 1st appt.

Yes I would, that way you get an idea of how the doctor feels, If you are high risk (not sure why you are) and they are afraid of PTL they may tell you to wean. There are a lot of factors that come into play, and you need to do what is right for you, your child and the baby you are carrying... My doctor flat out told me I'm ok with it but if it starts to have bad effects on the baby you are carrying you are DONE...
  • imageBlueyedgrl:
    imageHeather1979:

imageBlueyedgrl:

Yes I would, that way you get an idea of how the doctor feels, If you are high risk (not sure why you are) and they are afraid of PTL they may tell you to wean. There are a lot of factors that come into play, and you need to do what is right for you, your child and the baby you are carrying... My doctor flat out told me I'm ok with it but if it starts to have bad effects on the baby you are carrying you are DONE...

I never had PTL, but I had really high blood pressure spikes that my previous OB ignored. And my water broke for no reason at 34 weeks. I wonder what they will recommend. But thank you for the heads up!

• imageHeather1979:
    imageBlueyedgrl:
    imageHeather1979:

imageBlueyedgrl:

I never had PTL, but I had really high blood pressure spikes that my previous OB ignored. And my water broke for no reason at 34 weeks. I wonder what they will recommend. But thank you for the heads up!

I had high blood pressure issues with my last also, and she doesn't seem to be concerned for that as a reason for me to not breastfeed, every doctor is different though..  GL!!

• I just stopped BF 4wks ago.  And everything was fine.  DS was 19months when he stopped and pretty much weaned himself.  Dr. just told me to try to wean over the summer so he doesn't get jealous with the new baby nursing. 
  • I am.  Right now my supply is practically nonexistant-I'm glad to hear it comes back.
  • I am still nursing DD 5 times a day.  I am now noticing a bit of drop in supply, but nothing too drastic yet.  When I went for my 8 week appt. my OB actually said she wanted me to keep BFing until 16 weeks, because the sudden drop in hormones from weaning can be harmful to the pregnancy.  I've never heard that before, and never looked into it since I was planning to continue anyway, but it's another interesting take on it.
  • I'm still nursing!  DS is still an avid nurser at 21 months.  I hope to find a midwife/ob who is supportive. I have been working on gradually weaning him, he has just FINALLY started drinking out of a sippy cup on a regular basis!  No idea if the milk taste has changed, ds still seems quite content!  But my nipples are already feeling a bit tender, so I don't know how long I can keep going.  Oh well, at least we've had a very long/good run if we do have to stop :)
  • I am!  I have noticed a pretty big supply drop...I went from pumping 15 - 20 ounces while at work to now about 8 - 10 oz. DS still nurses in the AM and PM.  My nipples are also pretty sensititive. OB was supportive of decision, my goal was to make it to a year so we are pretty close. I will look to start weaning soon and am kinda looking forward to having a break before nursing #2!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"