3rd Trimester

Sex during labor?

Ok, I know this is going to sound like a really weird question but I'm asking anyway.  DH and I have been having sex every night the last couple nights to try to get things going.  Last night I started having really painful contractions for about 4 hours, but nothing came of it. 

My question is:  Would sex during that help me progress at all?  I was in too much pain and we never did anything, but next time I might just suck it up if it helps put me in full blown labor.  What do you think? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Sex during labor?

• I'm glad you asked this-  for the past week everytime H and I have some sexytime I end up with painful and timable contractions that seem to die off after 4 hours.  (This has happened 3 times now...)  I can't imagine gettin it on during those contractions, but I couldn't help but wonder if once a day just isn't enough?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • stgn01stgn01 member

imageLaurelBee:
    I'm glad you asked this-  for the past week everytime H and I have some sexytime I end up with painful and timable contractions that seem to die off after 4 hours.  (This has happened 3 times now...)  I can't imagine gettin it on during those contractions, but I couldn't help but wonder if once a day just isn't enough?

I usually have some timable contractions after sex, but they eventually go away.  Last night they were more painful than normal and happened before DH and I even had a chance to have sex (LOST and the Yankee game took precedence last night).  I am wondering if once a day isn't enough also. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • yes! it's great to have sex before and during labor (so long as your water hasn't broken).

it helps stimulate the hormones that assist with labor. and, reaching orgasm stimulates the uterus to contract.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have my Drs apt today, I'll ask :)  But H has already told me he's cutting me off since I'm in so much pain afterwards!  Boo...
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • sex will only help if your body is ready to go into labor. The prostagladins in the semen help soften your cervix, and orgasming can cause contrax pushing baby down on your cervix. Since early on when we have sex my belly gets hard after and I have BH for a little while, but its not like it would put me into labor.

Sex that causes contrax that late in the game can def help. BUT when you are in real labor you will NOT want to have anything touch your belly or down there, or in there....If you are having sporadic contrax every 20 mins, fine you may be able to get through it. But if its REAL labor, every 5 min or less apart and increasingly painful? NO you will not want to have sex.  

• Honestly it seems pretty gross to me, but my water broke the first time around and my contractions were so horrible I didn't want anyone to touch me. I have heard though that an orgasm during labor can help speed things up. Vibrator maybe?
  • I was reading birth stories on my doula's website, and she mentioned in more than one suggesting to the couple, during an active labor taking a long time to progress, to go upstairs and go do what got the baby in to help get it out.

So the answer I believe is yes - it must help!

image > Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lucky Ladies! The thought of sex these days makes we yuck.  I was really hoping that this feeling would change but it has only gotten worse. I feel like a freaking cow and I am really not even big enough to feel like a cow Tongue Tied

• During labor = eww :)

Before labor, I forced myself to try it when I was pretty far along with both of my pregnancies and with last I was even like 4cm and it made no difference.  It causes contractions, but as a pp said, your body won't actually go into labor until it is ready.  This time around I will be saving myself that discomfort and letting things go along on their own:)

Erin 2.19.06 - Carter Joseph 5.28.08 - Gavin David 6.16.10 - Liam Michael 4.29.12 - Baby Boy #4 due!
  • My sister had her baby 1 year ago. We have the same Dr. She was told, to "self induce" go home, drink a glass of red wine, take a relaxing walk and have sex 3 times.

she followed those directions and had her baby 6 days before EDD.

• I would think that it can cause labor.  I am 26 weeks and my cervix has shortened and is wide open.  My doctor said no sex or anything inside the vagina because it can cause my son to be born prematurely. 

• Drink a glass of red wine?  What?  What kind of doc recommends that?
  • A lot of doc recommend red wine. My doc gave the okay on a glass of wine with dinner once in a while during pregnancy, as one glass isn't going to hurt anything. 
  • imagehannahjosephine:
    Drink a glass of red wine?  What?  What kind of doc recommends that?

Hard to believe that you haven't heard of this, but yes, it is a common suggestion. Many care providers suggest it when you can't sleep towards the end as well, it relaxes everything in your body, including your mind.

Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
  • Here's my question:iam 33 wqks pregnant and am on brethine for contractions bc of an earlier episode of ptl. My boyfriend has been adamant about no sex and when I took over this morning he did not respond or seem interested. Iam upset. is he really concerned about me and the baby or is there something more to it?
  • imagehannahjosephine:
    Drink a glass of red wine?  What?  What kind of doc recommends that?

The alcohol to relax since most development is done at that point anyway, and red wine is full of iron, the darker the better, so a merlot over a shiraz or cabernet, in case of any blood loss during labor.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• imageerin_21978:
    Here's my question:iam 33 wqks pregnant and am on brethine for contractions bc of an earlier episode of ptl. My boyfriend has been adamant about no sex and when I took over this morning he did not respond or seem interested. Iam upset. is he really concerned about me and the baby or is there something more to it?
    Dont know him so cant be sure, but most likely its for the baby and for you. Sexytime can be hard to give up, but sometimes you have to take care of the baby first.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• I am in the same boat. Just got out of the hospital Sunday and received full injections for the baby. Complete bedrest and no intercourse. DH is abiding by it, so I am respecting that. You have to look at it like this...is sex really worth having your little one born with possible complications and a stay in the NICU? That helped calm me down a bit...good luck
  • Heres my take. Once I was 37.5 weeks and insanely miserable with my first pregnancy, DH and I tried the sex thing just for fun, no expectations. I'd heard that sperm can encourage dilation. The first try just gave me cramps all night but nothing consistent. Two nights later we gave it another shot. I got intense dull back pain and never thought it was labor, but called my Doc thinking maybe I had a kidney stone and she had us come in. I didn't even take my hospital bag, just a few items "just in case", sure they would send me home. Turned out I was 3cm, they admitted me, broke my water hours later and within 18 hours she was born, no pitocin needed. So you never know..... could be coincidence but I believe it worked for us.

As far as doing it during contractions, I'm not sure - if your water were to break that could put you at risk for infection, so I'd be cautious.

Hope all goes well and soon!!!! :) 

• Actually untrue. Any doctor that recommends any level of alchohol needs to go back and do some research on Fetal Alchohol Syndrome (FAS).  One cup of alchohol has the same "level" of alchohol as a full-sized wine cooler or beer. So it's not the SIZE of the alchohol container as the alchohol can affect the fetus in many ways that may not be immediately apparent in a newborn. But brain development is one.  Even while breastfeeding.

I recently attended a Department of Health Seminar on Healthy Pregnancies because FAS is THE MOST PREVENTABLE disability in children. It's all up to the parents...and healthcare providers who adhere to standard guidelines.  Yes it was an old myth that a glass here or there won't hurt, but I admonish everyone to do serious research as this is nothing new.  I met a woman with FAS and she is visibly deformed and those who may have escaped the outward deformity tend to suffer more in school and have many varying learning disabilities.

I never give info without pointing people to a source. Check out the following:

US Government Web site

https://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/natlalcohol-fas.htm

Center for Disease Control and Prevention

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/fasd/index.html

BabyCenter.com Articles

https://www.babycenter.com/0_drinking-alcohol-during-pregnancy_3542.bc

Reality Star Mom confesses to drinking and it's effects on child  https://blogs.babycenter.com/celebrities/2010/04/05/reality-star-mom-reveals-i-drank-while-pregnant/

Hope this helps!! Be healthy!

• https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/fasd/index.html This is an article from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention on the ills of ANY alchohol use (which is an old wives tale that has been dispproved). Here are a few other resources - https://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/brain/fas.html https://www.babycenter.com/0_drinking-alcohol-during-pregnancy_3542.bc https://blogs.babycenter.com/celebrities/2010/04/05/reality-star-mom-reveals-i-drank-while-pregnant/
  • he is concerned about the baby and you...my husband days...OMG don't have my son high 5 me! he's trying not to be interested bc if he gets interested...he probably won't know what to do for the LOOOOOOOONG time without
  • Thanks everyone I feel a little better, I just felt rejected on top of everything else. Doc says I can come off my meds in two weeks so hopefully things will go smoother.
  • Am I really the first post for 2010? Haha, oh well.

I've heard that sex during labor, or to get labor started is great. Not that it won't be painful at times, but if you're really wanting the kid to come "now", sex, or a long walk, or a warm bath can all be helpful.  DH and I are 12.5 weeks pregnant and only recently has my libido been having ups and downs.  We are usually like rabbits around here, which is fine since we're also newly married only 2 years ;).  There have been times recently that I have had to fake "being in the mood" because I know DH hasn't gotten any sexytime in about a week. But once we start, I do usually feel much better and more relaxed. Anyone who is worried, I'd say unless your Dr/OB tells you otherwise, sex during pregnancy is fine, period. This is the last time you will get any sexytime without interruptions by little people running around your home, so enjoy it as much and as often as you can handle.

God Bless to all and may all of us be blessed with swift deliveries! :)

• I can tell you that personally it worked for us but I wasn't in active labor (no major changes in the cervix except for thinning).  I was pregnant with DD #2 and I had been having contractions for 3 days but they were no closer than 10 min apart.  After several hours of them being any where from 10-5 min apart I said enough's enough and we went to the hospital.  There I had an exam and found out I hadn't even dilated more then barely a finger tip which is when the nurse suggested that we go home and have sex.  We did so, twice within 1 hour, even though I was worn out from so many days of contracting and hurting from the pain of them.  Once you start having sex you sort of forget the contractions are even there which helps quite a bit ;)  After the second time it almost instantly threw me into active labor.  Approximately, 8 hrs later we were holding her in our arms :)  Chances are it was the combination of the exam and the sex but I will always suggest it if someone is in the same situation as me.  This may sound gross but a trick we used was for him to stay in for a few min after the deed was done so the sperm would stay close to the cervix for longer instead of letting gravity take it's toll.  I certainly hope this helps you.  My advice is if you are on the verge of active labor then chances are sex could easily throw you into the real thing.  Good luck and try to have fun ;)  lol.
  • lol. tell him he has a husbandly duty to satisfy your needs. :) Well, I'm a first timer but a mom-friend of mine said its definitely ok to use sex to get the ball rolling. So, get to humpin' you're like two days away from 'here comes baby'. Congrats and Good luck.
  • Sweetie don't feel bad my husband and I were both in the mood but its something about the second semester that just ruins it. We have two already and this is our third but its the first time he just couldn't go. The next time we tired things were fine. Talk to your bf and tell him how it makes you feel. Knowing your true feelings could get the ball rolling. Also, try other alternatives to penetration. Its just a suggestion, and a vibrator couldn't hurt.(the stimulating kind)
  • Well, I am going to say that it might help. I am almost 36 weeks and me and my DH are still having sexytime.  However, we have seen signs of contractions this past week while I was admitted to the hospital for a skin infection. Sometimes after we have sexytime, I feel like extremely tired and I do feel like contractions might be going on, but nothing to severe that I feel I must go to the dr. Best of Wishes! = ) Congratulations
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"