Baby Names
Options

Just curious...

what attracts you to a name? popularity? uniqueness? sentimental reasons?
~ Carrie ~

Re: Just curious...

• Options

I'd say all of the above :) I wanted something that wasn't too, too popular, but not strange. (So popular, but unique enough that not every kid has the same one haha). Also for sentimental reasons, our son's middle name is his great grandfather's name (and very uncommon/unique) 

The name Samuel kept coming to us throughout the pregnancy. It was one of the readings (and the homily) at the beginning of the pregnancy, as well as at the end. I kept thinking that we would def. not name our child Sam (we were team green)...but in the hospital, he was taken to NICU and I was a mess, we hadn't even named him yet! 

When I looked up Henry in the name book we had brought, it meant ruler of an estate...and Samuel meant God has answered. Samuel it was! (Lol, although I did cry that I didn't even like the name, but that it was his name.) I love it now though!

• Options
    DH and I tend to focus towards the unique & sentimental...if only we could agree on more of the same names :)
    ~ Carrie ~
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I like names that are more traditional and seem to have staying power. I really don't look for unique names but I also try to stay away from names that seem too popular.

I'm also not really a fan of naming a child after a relative, but I understand this is important for some people.

• Options
    I love names that sound good with my last name. That's really all that matters to me. lol
  • Options
    imageHappyMrsK:

I like names that are more traditional and seem to have staying power. I really don't look for unique names but I also try to stay away from names that seem too popular.

This, most of the time anyway.  It's mostly the trendy names that I stay away from, which isn't necessarily the same as popular names. I like popular names like Michael, which is more of a classic name because it's been popular for a long time.  But I also like Mackenzie, which is more of a trendy name and will probably someday fade.

My general description of the names that I like are names that are neither trendy and too popular nor too unusual or unique (i.e. Danielle and Dylan).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageAndreaTummons:
    I love names that sound good with my last name. That's really all that matters to me. lol

This!  That being said if I ever have boys they will be named after DH's grandparents.

• Options

classic names that will serve her well later in life.

I hate most "unique" names

• Options
    We went with a name that is an older name (Emmeline), but has a very popular cousin (Emily). We checked the meaning, the spelling, the connotation. Googled it and looked for ways to make fun of it. Originally I was drawn to a specific letter - E, and from there we went with what sounded right with our last name. So I guess a certain amount of uniqueness, but mostly the first letter.
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"