Baby Names

Zoey for our baby girl!!

I am 33 weeks pregnant with a little girl. DH and I are naming her Zoey Elizabeth. WDYT of this name? We have already decided and probably aren't changing it but I like to get opinions anyway. We have a 4 year old son named Trevor James. :)

Re: Zoey for our baby girl!!

• If you like it and you don't plan to change it, why solicit opinions? 

But since you asked.. Cute for a little girl.  Not so cute for a 30 year old woman.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Since you asked for opinions, I personally don't like Zoe/Zoey. It sounds cutesy to me and doesn't seem to age well. Secondly, I just think of the Sesame Street character :)

Congrats on deciding on a name by 33 weeks though ... that is an accomplishment!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Loading the player...
  • I ask for opinions because I like to hear what other people think. It's not going to cause me to change it I just like to hear people's opinions and such.
  • It is NOT true that Zoey is just a cutesy name. I know a 40+ woman named Zoey, but without the -y on the end... and she's a REALTOR.  I think her name fits her well.

Very cute name.  Besides, in the event your child grows up and the name Zoey seems "too cutesy"... you could always suggest she go by her middle name? Elizabeth, Liz, Beth, Lizbeth, Bessy... the list could go on...   just sayin'...

Congrats on pickin your name!! 

• Thanks! I don't find the name Zoey as cutesy or "trendy" as some other names I hear people come up with. I know a girl who is naming her son Diesel.. lol.
  • I dont know anyone IRL named Zoey but i do know a dog named this so unfourtunately i associate this name with a dog. Other than that i really like it with Elizabeth. Gl
  • I love the basic sound of it but would spell Zoe without the "y"

A previous poster told me off for being awfully judgemental when I said I "hate" the spelling she had chosen for her son.

So I'll say I strongly dislike it, for much the same reason, being it seems like trendy spelling.

Plus it reminds me of a child I taught whose name Chloe, was spelt Kloey. which i thought made her parents look illiterate. 

But at the end of the day, your child = your choice and you seem set in stone on this one. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I prefer the spelling Zoe, because the 'y' makes it look trendy or like the parents didn't know any better. Elizabeth is nice and flows well with Zoe. Congrats on picking a name :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My friends name is Zoe and she is in the medical profession, so I think it fits fine for an adult. I do however think the spelling with the Y looks cutesy and I would lose it. 
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • I'm not a Zoey fan, but I love Elizabeth!!
  • imageAndreaTummons:

It is NOT true that Zoey is just a cutesy name. I know a 40+ woman named Zoey, but without the -y on the end... and she's a REALTOR.  I think her name fits her well.

Well you may know a 40+ year old woman with the name, but if you do, she is one of a very few that was born prior to the 80's:

https://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#prefix=zoe&ms=false&exact=false

And I don't think anyone was saying it was a fact that it was a cutesy name and that anyone who thought differently was wrong. She asked for opinions, and it is my opinion that it is cutesy and doesn't age well ... to each their own!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • I like Zoe, but I prefer the more traditional spelling. I think Zoey with the Y on the end is, well... ridiculous. Since it's supposed to be pronounced like that anyway.
    imageimage

• LOVE it! I prefer the spelling Zoe - but that doesn't matter! Stick out tongue
  • We chose Zo? for our daughter's name too. I decided to drop the "y" so it could grow with her. 
  • I love Zoe (but spelled this way). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • I like the name Zoey, and I like that spelling.  (most people prefer Zoe).

• I love the name Zoey! I wish that could possibly be a choice for our future daugther, but my best friend had a cat named Zoey growing up and that sort of ruined it for me :(

I think it is such a pretty name, go for it!

And for those that say it is too cutsey, I think that "Zoe" is a great nn for an older woman that may think Zoey is too cute.

• Super cute! I don't worry about names "aging well." When she's 40 there will be lots of little Zoeys out there because the name is getting more popular among babies and small children NOW. I bet Jennifer was a "childish" name at one point, but now it is normal for an adult. Just my opinion.
    Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Nest! Anniversary
    VOTE on my Name List image 7 anovulatory cycles, 1 cycle 50 mg clomid, 4 cycles 100mg clomid, HSG double blockage, hysteroscopy with cyst and debris removal, fermara/IUI attempt abandoned because of anovulation, follistim/IUI attempt coming soon!
  • skyejoskyejo member
    I love Zoey :) It was on my girl list but DH wasn't a fan.
  • Ditto Previous Post-- Zoe(y) has been in the top 100 for many years now, so by the time your DD is grown up, it will not seem like a little girl's name any more.  

FWIW, DH & I are planning to name our DD Zoe, too!  So, good choice...  I worry just a little bit that it'll be a trendy/dated name instead of a classic, that it may seem "so 2000s" (or 2010s or whatever) many years from now, but when it comes down to it, I really love the name, so I guess that other stuff doesn't matter all that much to me.  DH & I both have classic/really popular names, so to us, Zoe(y) seems to have a lot of character & spunk, and we both also think it's a beautiful name for an adult, too.   And it's actually quite an old ancient greek name, so it's a classic classic.

I think it flows great with Elizabeth too, I'm jealous (we're going with a family MN which doesn't flow so prettily, but has lots of meaning to me).   

• imageCactusGirl:

I love the name Zoey! I wish that could possibly be a choice for our future daugther, but my best friend had a cat named Zoey growing up and that sort of ruined it for me :(

I think it is such a pretty name, go for it!

And for those that say it is too cutsey, I think that "Zoe" is a great nn for an older woman that may think Zoey is too cute.

I am confused. How is Zoe a nickname for Zoey? They are pronounced the same way. 

imageimage

• I really like the name Zoey, but as many others have mentioned, I prefer the traditional Zoe spelling. My husband and I were considering this for a girl, but we are having a boy. I think that with such a nice traditional middle name Zoey doesn't sound too cutesie. Actually I think that it is much less cutsie than Brittany or Ashley or names like that which were so popular in the 90's.
  • Thanks to Sesame Street, Zoey/Zoe has taken on a cutesy/baby tone, but I'll always think of the edgy feel the letter Z has. Plus, despite it's spelling and pronunciation, I think it fits Zooey Daschanel.
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • I think Zoey Elizabeth is cute.

I do prefer the more traditional spelling of Zo?.

• I hate name Zoey

• I have a friend naming her baby the same thing...Zoey Elizabeth!

I like it, it's cute!  But, I do prefer the traditional spelling of Zoe.

• Thank you all for your comments!! My husband and I chose the name one night while we were lying on the couch watching some movie awards show. And I heard it and I said, I really love that name. This was even before we found out the sex. So since then, her name has been Zoey. I also preferred the spelling ZOE but my husband wished to add the "y" to the end because her middle name starts with an E and our last name is Lee. So we thought Zoe Elizabeth Lee had too many E's and wanted something to break that up. Also, Elizabeth is a family name. It's my middle name, my mom's and my grandmother's so it is very special to me. Thanks again for your comments!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"