Health & Exercise

Tanning while pregnant?

Ok, so I feel completely stupid for asking this question as I have done my research and am pretty sure I know the answer already however there is still much debate over it and so I was just looking for a little more feedback from you ladies.

I am 13 weeks pregnant and am wondering how safe  (if at all) it is to go to a tanning bed while pregnant and if anyone has had any experience with this firsthand?

Thanks!

Amanda

"It's better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what your not"

Re: Tanning while pregnant?

• 1. IMHO. . .It is not safe for you. . . so it's not safe for your fetus.

2. Some doctors will say that it is okay as long as you don't allow yourself to get too hot. a friend of mine wanted to tan in 3rd tri, before she had her maternity pics made and the doctor approved it in moderation. I'm not sure how safe it is for 1st and 2nd tri.

3. I do know that tanning during pregnancy is very risky as far as your skin is concerned. I used to work for Estee Lauder and I had numerous pregnant women come in asking for a fix for the huge brown melanin spots that sun-tanning made on their faces. Below is an example of what this can look like. . . 

I guess it's like anything else, you have to weigh the risks against the benefits. Talk to your doctor. . . I am TTC, and I usually don't tan during my 2WW b/c I think it is to risky.

If you do tan in the sun, keep your face covered and use sunscreen, I'm sure you don't want to be wearing the pregnancy mask, like what is pictured below. 

melasma_before.jpg

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sorry, the pic is not showing up. . .google "pregnancy mask" and you will get some info and examples of pics.

• Loading the player...
  • I don't know if this helps but when I was pregnant with my son, at my first appointment the doctor told me to be careful out in the sun because you burn easier when you are pregnant.  And sure enough, I got a bad burn when I went to a track meet where as before I got pregnant I hardly burned.  So whatever you do, be careful.  If I was you I wouldn't and also I have heard not to use sunless tanner either.
  • I just got burned yesterday sitting on my porch reading a book.  I normally would not have burned.  Pregnancy makes your skin much more sensitive to the sun.  I would stay away from the tanning bed.  
  • I agree, do what is safest for you and therefore your baby - stay out of unnecessary rays. 
  • Of course you should not subject your pregnant body and unborn baby to a tanning bed. Idiot.   There should SO be a test before people are allowed to get pregnant.
  • Don't do it! I spent a few afternoons outside during the last weeks of my pregnancy. I live in Minnesota and the sun is not that strong right now, I was just waiting outside with our dog in the nice weather for DH to come home. Unfortunately I didn't think it was important to wear sun screen and got sun spots on my nose, cheeks and forehead. They are absolutely ugly and I have now spent $100 on some cream to help get rid of them.

IMO - totally not worth it! 

• Oh god no! Tanning is so bad for you when you arent pregnant!  Plus, its way to hot in there to go pregnant. It gets well over 100 degrees. Do you want to cook your baby?

Suzanne & Pasquale 9/9/07
    Our Journey in Blog.
    My Blog
    Our Sweet boy Luca Salvatore 10/6/10 & Our precious daughter, Arianna Regina 4/9/13
  • Hi Serenity,

A girlfriend of mine was spray tanned a couple of times and held the color for quite a while. Her doctor told her this was a much safer alternative when compared to tanning in a bed.

You might also consider a tinted moisturizer or lotion. They're great for adding color and moisturizing stretchmarks as well :)

• Don't do it.  I already have melasma all over my formerly perfectly nice and even-toned face, from years of fake baking in college.  I definitely regret it.  My skin is wrecked, and the only things that fix it are living like a vampire and diligent use of very expensive products.  Neither of which I can do while pregnant, so I can only imagine how dark the patches on my face will get.  I've had people stop me on the street and ask what is on my face.  It's humiliating!  Learn from me.
  • Thank you all for all your wonderful and extremely helpful feedback and for thse of you who were not so nice please, come off your high horse who died and made you the pregnancy guru?

Thanks

Amanda

"It's better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what your not"
  • Good for you for saying that, Amanda! Some people are just blatantly rude! They need to realize there is a human being with feelings on the other side of the email...

This should be a safe forum to discuss anything and everything- with no fear of ridicule or insults. 

• I like tanning beds because I think they're relaxing and I think I'm the whitestest person where I live.  So I was kind of dissappointed when my husband's cousin got married in May and I couldn't be tanned for it.  But being in the real sun since I freckle so much faster now and get other weird dark patches. The thing I was concerned about was the intensity of the light.  They tell you to wear the tanning goggles because otherwise you can burn our your retina's.  I didn't know if those rays could go through your tummy so that was my main concern about going in a tanning bed pregnant. 
  • No, no, and no.

No b/c of the heat for you & baby.

No b/c of the skin sensitivity during pregnancy.

No b/c of the radiation & risk.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Every night I prayed for you. Then when you were in my belly, I prayed harder. Now that you're in my arms, I pray even harder.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"