Baby Names

I'm sure this name has been on here before...

...but what do you ladies think of Asher for a boy? I came across it in the Bible one night and I thought, "I LIKE that!" And I love the meaning: Happy and life blessed with abundance...love the definiton too!

Also for a girl I was thinking Alissandra (Ali for short). We have a very italian last name (DeVivo) so I thought that would go well.

Tell me what you REALLY think!

Re: I'm sure this name has been on here before...

• I love Asher but it is a very Jewish name to me and I assume every boy Asher I know is Jewish.  Kind of like how I assume every Siobhan is Irish.  I know there are exceptions, obviously, but alot of assumptions are made based on names and I think you should know what assumptions folks are likely to make based on your names. 

I'm not a fan of your girl name and I hate the name Ali.  Sorry, just being honest.  

• LOL I appreciate your honesty! <3

But it is funny how we all HATE some and LOVE others!

• Loading the player...
  • Love Asher. That was on our name list until we found out Lucy was a girl. 
  • I love how I don't know a single person named Asher. I'm all about uncommon but not weird names. And about Asher being Jewish...I know it's a Hebrew name but I honestly don't associate it with Jewish people because I don't know a single Jewish person...so that's just not in my frame of mind, but love the input!
  • I really like both :)
  • Love the boy's name, not so much the girls but if you love it I would definitely go with it!  I have a niece named Alexandra but we call her Alex we don't care for Ali...sorry
  • imagegabybaby03@yahoo.com:
    Love the boy's name, not so much the girls but if you love it I would definitely go with it!  I have a niece named Alexandra but we call her Alex we don't care for Ali...sorry

I like Alexandra but my husband doesn't want our daughter to be called Alex...but he and I can't agree on any names so idk what we'll do. :)

• Asher is a popular name right now. I like Alessandra (that spelling.)
  • <3 the boy name!!  I wish I had a lil boy so I could name him Asher!!  :]

Not so much the girl name spelling, but the sound of it is beautiful. 

• love the girl name

the boy name is all wrong for your surname 

• I know a few Ashers, and none of them are Jewish. It's a biblical name, like Noah or Eli. 
  • I like Asher a lot.

I really like Alessandra (prefer it with an "e") not a big fan of Ali.

What about Portia? I LOVE that name but as I have no Italian connection it feels wrong to use it. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• LVilaLVila member
    I like them, but I'm pretty sure you should remove your last name from the OP. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic CafeMom Tickers
  • Asher is not my style, but not bad.  I don't care for Alissandra, sorry. 

• Not a fan of Asher or Alissandra. I do like Alexandra, you could still Alli/Ally as a nn.
  • imagegibs:

love the girl name

the boy name is all wrong for your surname 

All this.

Also, I'm not a fan of Asher. It sounds weak to me with the soft 'sh' sound in the middle and the -er ending. Not to mention most kids can't say 'sh' sounds for a few years, so the kid will most likely be called Asser. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like both. I prefer Alexandra, but your version does sound nice with your last name.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• imagenursedevivo:
    I love how I don't know a single person named Asher. I'm all about uncommon but not weird names. And about Asher being Jewish...I know it's a Hebrew name but I honestly don't associate it with Jewish people because I don't know a single Jewish person...so that's just not in my frame of mind, but love the input!

I looked at your location bc I was also thinking "I don't even know a lot of Jewish people so it wouldn't matter around here" and I noticed that you are kind of close to me!  

I like both of your names and I think they go really well with your last name.  Ever since I started going through the baby naming process I realized that you just have to go with what you like and not care what people have to say.  What helped me was mentioning some names to a couple of close, supportive friends to get their opinion (because some family members had their own ideas of what to name the baby!).  It gave me confidence in my decision!  Good luck!

• I have to say I think some of these comments are a pretty silly. My first name is as Christian as they come (has the word "Christ" in it), but I have a very Jewish last name, because DH is Jewish.  Despite my Christian first name, many people I meet assume I am Jewish, because of my last name. Which, by the way, is not a big deal.

So, if a child has "Jewish" first name and an Italian last name, my guess is that people are most likely to assume that he is Italian. That said, I don't consider Asher to be a "Jewish" name. It's Hebrew, as are many of the most popular names right now, regardless of religion. 

OP, Asher is a cute name. If you like it, go for it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Cautiously expecting our second little petri dish baby - stick, Baby, stick!

BabyFruit Ticker

• acesupacesup member
    i really like asher. the girl name is not my style - but it sounds pretty with your last name. 
  • Asher is nms personally, but I think it's a nice name.  A friend of mine just used it as a mn for her baby boy. 

• I like Asher a lot and we would use it except it doesn't go well with our last name...speaking of last names...take it out of your original post! There are a lot of wackos out there.
    Brady (7.15.10) and Nolan (5.11.13)
  • I love the name asher! got vetoed for first name by DH.  but still in the running for middle names.
  • ames71ames71 member

I like Asher. As far as it being a Hebrew name I don't think that should make a difference. After all, so is Rachel.

Your girl name is very pretty. I think I like it spelled Allisandra or Allesandra better though.

• imagesourpatchkids:
    I like Asher a lot and we would use it except it doesn't go well with our last name...speaking of last names...take it out of your original post! There are a lot of wackos out there.

Well, my last name is in my screename anyway, so it's not a big secret.. :)

• Asher is a cute name, but I don't think it works at all with your last name.  Sorry.
  • herohero member
    imagenursedevivo:

imagesourpatchkids:
    I like Asher a lot and we would use it except it doesn't go well with our last name...speaking of last names...take it out of your original post! There are a lot of wackos out there.

I like Asher. It was on my list but dh vetoed it.

You have a lot of info out for public consumption. At least remove either your occupation or your location from your profile info. The Nest/Bump is a wonderful place but it's not necessarily a safe place.

<Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers>
  • I like your names.
  • I like both names :)
  • I like the boy name. I'd use it myself if DH didn't have such a bad history with "Ashton"

Not really a fan of the girl name, but if YOU like it and you and DH can agree on it, go for it!

My Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    SAIF Always Welcome
    Diagnosed with PCOS: 10/03, On BCP to "treat" until: 7/09
    Provera to end Cycles 1-9 (anovulatory)
    Cycle #4 & 5: Clomid 50 mg FAIL
    RE Visit: 2000 mg Metformin
    Cycle 6:Forced Break, looking for androgen secreting tumor
    Cycle 7:Clomid CD 3-10, 12-17 FAIL
    Cycle 8: Clomid CD 3-10, Bravelle CD 12-24 Hyperstimmed
    New RE: Put on Byetta, lost 23 lbs
    Cycle 9: Financial Break
    Cycle 10: Femara CD 3-7, IUI CD 17 BFP on 2/14/11, m/c 3/7/11
  • imagehero:
    imagenursedevivo:

imagesourpatchkids:

I like Asher. It was on my list but dh vetoed it.

You have a lot of info out for public consumption. At least remove either your occupation or your location from your profile info. The Nest/Bump is a wonderful place but it's not necessarily a safe place.

Done...I removed my location and birthday...thanks for looking out for me ladies. I am sometimes too trusting! <3

• I like both! I think Asher is great.
  • I like Asher a lot! Alissandra is not my style really because of the length, but I do like Ali!
  • My son's name is Asher.  Middle name Scott and we have an asian last name, I am neither Asian or Jewish.  I do think it is more commonly used by Jewish familes in the Northeast from my understanding.  We have met some Asher's here in the south, none of which are Jewish.  The most unfortunate thing about Asher is that it is rapidly climbing the charts, I think it is already at #206 I think.

I thought the comment about being called Asser was pretty hilarious!  Honestly, he is four and  he has never had trouble saying his name, nor his friends.  My 2 year old can pronounce it.  If a child is in elementary school and can't say the "sh" sound they likely need speech therapy.   Now when he hits elementary, kids may prounounce it Asser on purpose, but kids will mock almost any name.  I wouldn't let that detour you from and Awesome Name!  We get great responses on it everywhere.

• I really like both names and they go really well with your last name!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"