1st Trimester

Apparently my baby is sending telepathic messages to others

Last night as a I drank my diet pepsi someone said, "Your baby would really like it if you drank water instead."

Indifferent

Obviously I know water is better but I'm going to have to wean myself off my caffiene habit. I'm so not ready for this over the next 8 months.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Apparently my baby is sending telepathic messages to others

• For the caffeine fix, I'd stick w/ regular soda... not diet.
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • HyfagalHyfagal member

imagecocojack10:
    For the caffeine fix, I'd stick w/ regular soda... not diet.

Did my baby ask you to tell me this? Bahaha j/k.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Soap1Soap1 member

A little of bit of caffeine every now and then isn't going to hurt.  I had one small cup of coffee every day in my first pregnancy!

Oh and as for diet vs. regular, I don't have any idea what the research says, but I always felt better about it when I drank diet coke with splenda in it instead of aspartame :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think I would have came back with something like, "Wait *pretends to listen closely* baby also said STFU" LOL

People are so freakin rude... I'm slowly learning it only gets worse!  Thankfully we have thebump!!

• imageEstellankase:

I think I would have came back with something like, "Wait *pretends to listen closely* baby also said STFU" LOL

People are so freakin rude... I'm slowly learning it only gets worse!  Thankfully we have thebump!!

THIS.

Well, ok, I'd think it and wish I had the balls to actually do something like that.

• i'd be more concerned with the asparteme in diet soda than the caffiene.

maybe she was rude to say something, but she was definitely right that diet soda is not good for the baby - it's actually not good for you period (says the reformed former diet coke addict - i haven't had one in 6 months). The chemicals in ALL soda are actually terrible for your kidneys.

If you NEED the cup of caffeine, i'd stick with tea or coffee without artificial sweeteners.

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • eagle3eagle3 member

OH the absolute cheek of some people.  Good grief its not like you were downing a bottle of tequilla!  Everyone is different and while some can go off caffeine and soda, others need it from time to time and there is no evidence that in occasional amounts it is doing baby any harm.  Don't listen to these busy bodies. 

Honestly what is more concerning to me is our environment and all the pesticides and crap that linger in the air and in our homes that affect all of us. If people put half the effort into that as they doing critcising others we would all be better off..

• My doc told me to have a little caffeine every day to hold off headaches....so a soda a day keeps my babies happy (they told me so!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • LOL You know that person most likely was just trying to use a witty way to get you not to drink caffeine. She is right though, water or even just juice is a better beverage option for one because staying hydrated is more crucial then ever. However a little caffeine won't kill you especially after your 1st tri.

In fact, just a little can help with the pesky constipation we experience. I found that drinking just a little coffee or tea got me moving. Again water will also help that in the long run.

• the same happened to me...my colleagues at work between there are 3 pregnant ladies insisted in me quiting coffee, coke...it was very hard for me (I used to be a smoker before), but now I don`t need it at all. I think the nausea and stomach aches every morning had help me a lot.

Anyways...I asked everyone to give me time and let me do things at my own pace...and it work.

• As a fellow caffeine addict, I can tell you that you have every right to tell them to STFU.  It's less about the caffeine you drink and more about your level of hydration.  I was given permission to drink a can of pop a day, like a pp. I just made sure that I countered that 12oz with 12 extra oz of water to make up for it.

And if your baby is sending you "telepathic messages", you should have fun with it.  :) Think of all the random stuff your baby might tell you!

Lucas Arlo - 2/26/10, Cordelia Jane - 1/20/12 
    #3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
  • Drink all the caffeine you want right now ... you don't share a blood supply with LO until about 8 weeks.

I drank coffee and regular soda during my pregnancy, and my baby is perfect. 

• The occasional soda is OK!  But it's cute that your baby is looking for all natural agua :)  I would be really careful with aspartame though....  seriously, I've heard bad stuff about that!
  • I drink one diet, caffienated soda per day.  My doctor said 2 was fine, but I'm trying to be good! I used to drink almost a 12 pack of Diet Mountain Dew in a day!
  • I wouldn't worry about it.  I drank coffee and coke during my pregnancy and my baby was perfectly healthy and so was my pregnancy.  I had no problems and my labor delivery went great as well.

People are going to say all kinds of things to you and being pregnant and super emotional it is going to be hard but the best advice I can give is to ignore it and remind yourself that it's your baby, your body and your life!

I doubt this woman cares more about your baby or yourself than you and so if you say anything say that!

• I always think about when my mother was preggers with me...back then people didn't have all this fear.  They continued to live their lives normally and didn't stress about every little thing they put in their bodies. I know for a fact that my mother along with mothers of my peers not only drank soda and coffee, they smoked and also indulged in beer and wine. True, they didn't know any better, but a good lot of us turned out pretty darn good. My mom did all of that on a daily basis and I am perfectly fine. My immune system is that of charging bull, i've never had any broken bones and I am fairly well adjusted ( what happens in the womb usually doesn't prepare you for what the rest of life may bring).

I guess what I am saying is Stop Worrying. The stress of it all is probably worse than the diet soda you are drinking! 

• Breaking the caffeine fix is hard, but try decaf coffee or tea instead. The phenylalanine in diet soda can be harmful to your baby and to you. If you miss the carbonation, try regular ginger ale, as it greatly helped my craving...One thing to think about, your teeth will stay whiter during the process if you can wean off caffeined dark drinks completely!
  • So here's the truth: my friend, about a year before I conceived, had gotten me to stop drinking dark colored sodas. I got pregnant and decided that drinking any soda couldn't be good for me, so I weaned myself off sprite in exchange for lemonade or something. Then when my cravings started, I stared at the diet coke my dad had bought like it was the fountain of life or something. Look, I never drank diet before, and yes it tasted just as bad as expected, but I had an incredible craving for dark sodas like I hadn't had in over a year! I was very surprised. 

Of course I had kicked my starbucks habit too, I really haven't had much of any caffeine  since I was pregnant (God I can't believe its been like almost 8 months now) and sure they say "you can have as much caffeine as a cup of coffee a day" but to me, why risk it? If it makes your heart start pounding faster, then it certainly does the same for your baby. 

Oh, and yes people will keep telling you about pregnancy as it goes along. It escalates the faster you look like you're pregnant. The problem is, no matter in what tone of voice they said it, they really did mean well by going out of their way to mention something they learned in their life. So no matter how I feel about their comments, I just smile, say thankyou, and move on, whether or not I agree. 

Good luck kicking the habit! Although I think right now regular soda is better than diet for you! 

• I agree with most of the others: stay away from artificial sweetners!  Worse for you than caffeine - especially aspartame.  It's a small price to pay for a healthy baby.  :)

I'd recommend reading up a bit on aspartame. 5 minutes on google should cure you of your addiction. ;)

• imageGenRN45:

i'd be more concerned with the asparteme in diet soda than the caffiene.

maybe she was rude to say something, but she was definitely right that diet soda is not good for the baby - it's actually not good for you period (says the reformed former diet coke addict - i haven't had one in 6 months). The chemicals in ALL soda are actually terrible for your kidneys.

If you NEED the cup of caffeine, i'd stick with tea or coffee without artificial sweeteners.

THIS

Aside from the artificial sweeteners that are known for giving terrible migraines, sodas are chalk full of syrups that you can't even pronounce which are super fattening (despite the "diet" advertising) and are also known to give kidney stones.I limit myself to only sharing one cup/can with DH when we go out to the movies or to a restaurant. A good homemade chai really does the trick for me.  It has less caffeine than coffee, but just enough to pick me up for a while. :)

• I was addicted to caffiene before I became pregnant, and when I found out, I went cold turkey with no caffiene at all during my first trimester. After my first trimester, I actually started to crave diet dr. pepper, so I asked my doctor about whether iit is safe for the baby if I drink one every once in a while. She said that I should limit myself to 1 or 2 per day, under 200mg. She also said that diet soda is fine. That it has been around for so long and there is no evidence at all that it negatively affects the baby. So I say that as long as you limit your caffiene intake appropriately and you still drink lots of water, then you should be perfectly fine.
  • LOL she came in here to gripe about how someone was trying to tell her what to do and then several of you jumped in with "advice". I'm not the OP, but I don't think that's what she was looking for.

Oh to the anti-aspartame posters...  a little bit of aspartame is going to be ok. My doctor told me 1-2 DIET cokes per day was fine. 

• I love how everyone has their opinions. I'm still working on the caffine 23 weeks in. If you limit yourself and still indulge to get your fix, you should be just fine. As for the diet soda, no worries. I had to give up regular soda and juice for diet soda and crystal light when i was diagnosed at 14 weeks with gestational. So be careful if you decide to switch over to regular.

I know my baby moves around more after a little soda. It's my reassurance he's there!

Good Luck!

• I was reading up (which really annoys my ob) and found that you can have about 250 mg of caffiene a day, and most 12 oz sodas only have about 35 mg. The problem with drinking soda is not the caffiene, its the sugar and sodium. A can of coke has 45 mg of sodium and 39 g of sugar, and the fake sugar stuff in diet products is supposed to be really bad for baby, so its better to have the real deal in moderation instead of the nutrasweet or splenda. When we decided to try and conceive, I dropped down from 1 litre bottle of coke every day to a 20 oz, and after getting pregnant, I have reduced that to having one can a day only for about 4-5 a week max. If I give up more than that, I get withdrawal headaches on top of the ones I get anyway and the migraines.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• you're baby probably really likes the caffeine lol, makes mine do somersaults. A little caffeine is ok just make sure you watch the amount of mg's you intake (but i checked when i first got pregnant and you can have almost 4 code red mountain dews!). My only comment would be to make sure you have enough water after your soda. It takes 32 oz's to wash out just one soda.  Also diet sodas have more chemicals, take the opportunity to have a real soda cuz you don't have to diet anymore Wink  There are also more "natural" soda's and ones with real sugar. But honestly if I'm going to have a soda I'm going to have the one I want not the one with less sugar or caffeine  Cool
  • One thing my doctor told me that I found very interesting was if you are having a lot of caffeine at the end of your pregnancy, your baby could be born really jittery from caffeine withdrawal.  But like someone else said, our parents were doing far worse things than indulging in caffeine while they were pregnant.
  • That's funny!

I haven't had that happen, but I did have this sweet little old lady at a Mother's Day luncheon look at me like I was the devil's spawn because I didn't use hand sanitizer.  You would have thought i was holding a cigarette & drinking straight liquor.

What's scary is reading through the posts here and what different doctors tell different people!  My doc said stay away from artificial sweeteners and no caffeine.  Luckily, I had already given up most of the caffeine, so that wasn't bad, but it's been hard not to have even diet caffeine free soda.  *sigh*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Emergency ileostomy 11/28/10, CF dx on 12/3/10 and ileostomy takedown 1/24/11, feeding tube placed 7/1/11...still going strong! Little one lost 5w5d, 5/27/2012. CP 8/26/2012
  • I wouldn't worry about it, my doctor says that I can have a cup of coffee and a diet coke each day if I need a boost. I am 27 weeks pregnant and I work full time, I am a wedding planner and "tis the season!"

You're fine with a little caffein each day  :o)

• The same thing happened to me when I told people I was pregnant.  One of their first comments was, "No more caffeine!"  My mother was the worst!  I'm a huge Mountain Dew and energy drinks addict.  I've actually stopped cold turkey, because I know that I won't be able to drink just one or two a day.   Surprisingly, I don't have any caffeine headaches.  I've tried to quit Mt. Dew before and I got the worst headaches, but nothing now.  Now I drink lots of water, juice, and caffeine-free sodas like root beer, orange soda, and ginger ale.

I never asked my doctor about caffeine because I know everyone has a different opinion, especially doctors.  However, I did ask about paying attention to my baby's movements, and the doctor suggested that if I haven't felt any movement in awhile to have a Coke or something with caffeine or sugar to get the baby moving and alleviate any worries. :P

On a side note, for those of you worried about aspartame, pay attention to your prenatal vitamins.  About five months or so in, my boyfriend and I noticed that my vitamins had aspartame in them, so we quickly mentioned it to my doctor and switched vitamins.  He has negative reactions to aspartame, so we were worried about how the baby would react to it.

• Btw, its funny how most of the "telepathic" messages from baby are about what we are doing thats bad for baby, and they are sent to people other than mommy, which is a load of hogwash. My baby messages me saying Mommy, I want a Dreyers fruit bar today, or can I have chocolate if we have that orange with it too?

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• imageEstellankase:

I think I would have came back with something like, "Wait *pretends to listen closely* baby also said STFU" LOL

Congrats for an appropriate use of STFU! I'm already yelling that in my head at some people but I guess I grew out of my telepathic powers! Happy pregnancy to you!

Met   - Jan. 12, 2003
    Wed  - Jul. 12, 2008
    Pink - Nov. 16, 2010
    Blue - Jan. 30, 2013
    TBD - Oct. 17, 2015
  • I'm assuming that we all know that water is the better alternative to caffeine, pregnant or not.  I've been told and stick by - you're body will tell you what it wants/ needs...listen to it!! :)
  • imagebabygirlpriest:
    imageEstellankase:

THIS.

Well, ok, I'd think it and wish I had the balls to actually do something like that.

Exactly. I'd think that but wouldn't say it. DH on the other hand would have a field day if someone said that to me and he was around to hear it. Wish I could tell you the pushiness gets better but it doesn't.

Srsly how dumb are people to say things like this to pregnant and very hormonal women? Isn't that just asking for it! lol 

babies image image
  • imageLizi_MamaBird:

My mother was the worst!  I'm a huge Mountain Dew and energy drinks addict.  

I loved my energy drinks but I haven't even looked at them and I'm 21 weeks in. I have asked my DH to have a Rockstar Punched ready for me as soon as the baby is born. lol 

babies image image
  • imagepirate_princess_85:
    I have asked my DH to have a Rockstar Punched ready for me as soon as the baby is born. lol 

I'm thinking about getting a whole case of Bawls delivered to my door. :P

I plan to breastfeed, though, and I'm not sure if I should have caffeine and energy drinks even after having the baby.  I'll have to ask my doctor about it.  Not sure how it works as far as what I eat getting transferred through breast milk.

• imageHyfagal:

Last night as a I drank my diet pepsi someone said, "Your baby would really like it if you drank water instead."

Indifferent

Obviously I know water is better but I'm going to have to wean myself off my caffiene habit. I'm so not ready for this over the next 8 months.

Sorry, this made me LOL.

Gotta' love it when people decide they know more than you do and feel the need to point it out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Trust me, this is only the beginning.  Everyone has an opinion and for some reason the baby bump is a welcome invitation for people to share theirs.  The best advice that I can give you is to just smile politely and walk away, then, find other pregnant women, or recently pregnant women, and dish about how rude and inconsiderate people can be.  It's nice to just kick back and relax with someone who knows what you're going through (possibly over caffinated beverages) and laugh it off.
  • Brace yourself, the unsolicited and guilt producing advice only gets worse. You would think that it stops once you have the baby, but my daughter is turning two and everyone else seems to know what is better for her than me. I try to ignore it, but it still hurts my feelings at times. Hang in there. There are worse things you could do than drink diet soda, if you are worried about caffiene drink caffiene free. If you are worried about aspartame- indulge in the real sugar. Best of luck.
  • either way, water is better.

but. i would rather drink something that doesn't have either.

• I have been drinking coffee every day since I was about 16, and my doctor told me the shock to my body from quitting it altogether would be worse for me (and the baby) than having a cup or two of regular coffee a day. I listened to her advice and had a perfect, healthy baby! I am now on baby #2 and drinking a cup of coffee right now. People are rude, and you are fine. We all know soda isn't the healthiest thing in the world, but you are not going to do any damage to yourself or your baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"