Babies: 9 - 12 Months

ladies with [different] baby names.

i am more than aware that DDs name is not the trend right now, and probably never will be, but i was wondering if any of you have had any rude/unusual comments concerning the name of your LO?

i have no problem that not everyone is for non-traditional names. to each his own. our DD was not named after anyone, nor will future children be. however, it ceases to amaze me how everyone feels inclined to give their .02 concerning a name.

i'll be the first to admit that my dad was less than thrilled that we were not using a "family" name.

Re: ladies with [different] baby names.

• Well Avery isn't really that unusual, but I have had some people not be able to say it...and to wonder why we picked it....and that it is a boys name.  However, I have always loved it, and my husband loved it....so oh well!  I have an aunt that always asks what her name is over, and over...and seriously I thought that it wasnt that unusual :)  I love your daughters name, btw!
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • A co-worker saw it written down, pronounced it a way we don't (not that I'm opposed to the other way), and then said that she's glad we pronounce it her way since our way was the backwoods hick way of pronouncing it. I wish I had corrected her and let her know that we DO pronounce it the 'backwoods hick' way (thankyouverymuch), but I was a bit preoccupied with what I was doing and didn't want to lose track.

Far less offensive, my socially akward cousin said the name was really weird at my baby shower. But I was expecting that and laughed it off.

• Loading the player...
  • We just get a lot of soup comments or "Mmm, Mmm good". Hardy har har, idiot. Confused

DD's name is a family name (my paternal grandmother's maiden name) so at least I don't get any comments from my family about it. The ILs, on the other hand, have made comments and try to refer to her as "Bella". Ugh. 

• I don't think Matilda is different, but its not common. We got a lot of negative comments when I was pregnant but people have kept their mouths shut since she's been born. Its hard to say something nasty about the name to such a cute little girls face! BTW, I love Vegas. I know a little boy named Vages pronounced the same way and I think its super cute.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • imagerosesandpeonies:
    Well Avery isn't really that unusual, but I have had some people not be able to say it...and to wonder why we picked it....and that it is a boys name.  However, I have always loved it, and my husband loved it....so oh well!  I have an aunt that always asks what her name is over, and over...and seriously I thought that it wasnt that unusual :)  I love your daughters name, btw!

thank you! 

MH and I had three lists. girls / boys / and "both". Avery we loved and was on the "both" list bc we liked it for a boy or a girl.

i don't think i have ever actually heard my dad call her vegas. its always "peanut" - which i hate btw.

• I love unusual names. While DS' name isn't that uncommon, when we have a girl she will for sure have an unusual name. For me, growing up with the name Talia, which was not popular at the time, was great! My grandma did tell my mom on many occasions that "there was still time to change my name".

Way to go baby namers!

• imagetxbabs111:

We just get a lot of soup comments or "Mmm, Mmm good". Hardy har har, idiot. Confused

DD's name is a family name (my paternal grandmother's maiden name) so at least I don't get any comments from my family about it. The ILs, on the other hand, have made comments and try to refer to her as "Bella". Ugh. 

My last name is Campbell and I always said once I get married, and drop my last name, I'd love to name my baby Campbell. I love it as a first name!

And my idiot little brother says, "God made me a Campbell because I'm Mmm Mmm Good!" lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD is Brittyn.  We love her name and hope she does too as she's older.  We do get random comments from people though like:

"Did you name her after the Country?"

"Oh, here comes the Great Britain"

The thing that annoys me the most though is whenever we have an appointment and are called up (like at her shots, etc.), they always say "Brittany?"  I don't know if people can't read or choose to be lazy, but her name clearly isn't Brittany if you can spell.

Some might not like her name but we love it and that's all that matters.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetrooper346:

A co-worker saw it written down, pronounced it a way we don't (not that I'm opposed to the other way), and then said that she's glad we pronounce it her way since our way was the backwoods hick way of pronouncing it. I wish I had corrected her and let her know that we DO pronounce it the 'backwoods hick' way (thankyouverymuch), but I was a bit preoccupied with what I was doing and didn't want to lose track.

Far less offensive, my socially akward cousin said the name was really weird at my baby shower. But I was expecting that and laughed it off.

i am intrigued now. do you mind sharing the name? :)

• imagetaliaheartchris:

I love unusual names. While DS' name isn't that uncommon, when we have a girl she will for sure have an unusual name. For me, growing up with the name Talia, which was not popular at the time, was great! My grandma did tell my mom on many occasions that "there was still time to change my name".

Way to go baby namers!

My LO's name is Hudson too!  People always ask me if I named him after the Hudson River, NO!!  However, we usually get compliments on his name.

• imageLittleLotero:
    imagetrooper346:

A co-worker saw it written down, pronounced it a way we don't (not that I'm opposed to the other way), and then said that she's glad we pronounce it her way since our way was the backwoods hick way of pronouncing it. I wish I had corrected her and let her know that we DO pronounce it the 'backwoods hick' way (thankyouverymuch), but I was a bit preoccupied with what I was doing and didn't want to lose track.

Annika (pronounced similarly to Nascar's Danica Patrick.) Was shooting for Anneke (and the non-"backwoods hick" (Confused) pronounciation), but SO wanted to Americanize it a bit.

I dunno, it's pretty common in Northern Europe, not so much over here.

• imagereannegummer:

My DD is Brittyn.  We love her name and hope she does too as she's older.  We do get random comments from people though like:

The thing that annoys me the most though is whenever we have an appointment and are called up (like at her shots, etc.), they always say "Brittany?"  I don't know if people can't read or choose to be lazy, but her name clearly isn't Brittany if you can spell.

Love love love the name! And she is a cutie!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagetxbabs111:

We just get a lot of soup comments or "Mmm, Mmm good". Hardy har har, idiot. Confused

trying to re-name your LO. oh heck no. we would have words. i would [not so] politely say, "her name is campbell, not bella".

• imageLesley0228:
    I don't think Matilda is different, but its not common. We got a lot of negative comments when I was pregnant but people have kept their mouths shut since she's been born. Its hard to say something nasty about the name to such a cute little girls face! BTW, I love Vegas. I know a little boy named Vages pronounced the same way and I think its super cute.

this makes me sad. i have never seen another vegas. well, at least its a boy. lol

• imagemaudiemode:
    imagetaliaheartchris:

I love unusual names. While DS' name isn't that uncommon, when we have a girl she will for sure have an unusual name. For me, growing up with the name Talia, which was not popular at the time, was great! My grandma did tell my mom on many occasions that "there was still time to change my name".

Way to go baby namers!

My LO's name is Hudson too!  People always ask me if I named him after the Hudson River, NO!!  However, we usually get compliments on his name.

LOL - Hilarious! We get that too - We get Hudson river, Hudson, Wisconsin, and my DH works on Hudson road too!

• imagereannegummer:

My DD is Brittyn.  We love her name and hope she does too as she's older.  We do get random comments from people though like:

your last statement is SO true. if DD hates her first name she can always fall back on her middle.

we get the following question a bunch. "was she conceived there?" and the phrase "what happens in vegas stays in vegas", which is completely out of line to say when it is regarding a child's name.

• I LOVE the name Annika!  I would pronounce it Ah-nick-a.  My family is German, and DH's B.A. is in German so we've agreed that our next one will have a German name, but he doesn't like Annika (too much like Annakin Skywalker, apparently).  I'm pushing for Elsa for a girl, or Jorgen for a boy (Your-gen)
  • Most people say, "What a beautiful name!" but someone said, "At least she can go by Norah when she's older if she wants to."  What?!  Norah is a totally different name!  How could Neriah be shortened to Norah?  Idiot.
  • I like that name Annika and I think it sounds better ANN-ika rather than an-NI-ka...I'm assuming that's the other pronunciation the lady used? maybe I'm just confused lol
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • imagetrooper346:
    imageLittleLotero:
    imagetrooper346:

Annika (pronounced similarly to Nascar's Danica Patrick.) Was shooting for Anneke (and the non-"backwoods hick" (Confused) pronounciation), but SO wanted to Americanize it a bit.

I dunno, it's pretty common in Northern Europe, not so much over here.

i love it!

both ways.

• I didnt think twice about naming DS after our grandfathers (Demetrios after mine, Nels after DH's) They are both strong ethnic names but my cousin was very puzzled when she first heard his first name "Why are you using an African-American name?"...Ummm....its Greek, genius...and while my inlaws love his middle name (for obvious reasons) they rolled their eyes every time they said his name before he was born, they have since gotten over it but I cant convince them that Deme is a girl's nickname (MIL "He is my grandson, I'll call him whatever I want to" Hmm )

And my brother thought it was cute to call DS 'Nelsy' before he was born....DH put a stop to that real quick.

Cant wait to hear the comments on our future children's names that are just as ethnic...

• imageamhough:
    I LOVE the name Annika!  I would pronounce it Ah-nick-a.  My family is German, and DH's B.A. is in German so we've agreed that our next one will have a German name, but he doesn't like Annika (too much like Annakin Skywalker, apparently).  I'm pushing for Elsa for a girl, or Jorgen for a boy (Your-gen)

Yeah, that's the pronounciation that I was going for, but ended up compromising. Which is fine, really. Ultimately, DD can choose to switch it up to her liking or keep it as it is. I just remember growing up with a very rigid name that had no nicknames, no short versions, no variations that I liked and I was very annoyed that I had no 'say' in it.

• My daughter's name is Fable. Nuff said. :)
  • Yep.  I had a coworker who asked me ds name, and after I told him he said, "Why would you do that?"  Rude people I tell you!
  • imageKMT to JWH:
    imagereannegummer:

Love love love the name! And she is a cutie!

Thank you Smile

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If one more person asks us if we named her after the dog I might scream my face off.

NO she was not named after the effing dog in the book.

• imagefirsttimemama:
    Most people say, "What a beautiful name!" but someone said, "At least she can go by Norah when she's older if she wants to."  What?!  Norah is a totally different name!  How could Neriah be shortened to Norah?  Idiot.

sadly, there are a ton of idiots in this world.

i LOVE her name, FWIW.

• imagefirsttimemama:
    Most people say, "What a beautiful name!" but someone said, "At least she can go by Norah when she's older if she wants to."  What?!  Norah is a totally different name!  How could Neriah be shortened to Norah?  Idiot.

I absolutely adore the name Neriah.  Everytime you post, I smile at your DD's name.  She is beautiful.

• imageAshleyMichelle06:
    I like that name Annika and I think it sounds better ANN-ika rather than an-NI-ka...I'm assuming that's the other pronunciation the lady used? maybe I'm just confused lol

Ah, no, I agree. I get the dramatized 'i' in the doctor's office and it makes me laugh and/or cringe. My co-worker was just pronounced it as if the first 'a' was like the 'o' in the word 'on'. We've chosen to go with pronouncing it as if her name were Ann...ika. Haha.

• imagemykatydee:

I didnt think twice about naming DS after our grandfathers (Demetrios after mine, Nels after DH's) They are both strong ethnic names but my cousin was very puzzled when she first heard his first name "Why are you using an African-American name?"...Ummm....its Greek, genius...and while my inlaws love his middle name (for obvious reasons) they rolled their eyes every time they said his name before he was born, they have since gotten over it but I cant convince them that Deme is a girl's nickname (MIL "He is my grandson, I'll call him whatever I want to" Hmm )

And my brother thought it was cute to call DS 'Nelsy' before he was born....DH put a stop to that real quick.

Cant wait to hear the comments on our future children's names that are just as ethnic...

my MIL [thought] she was going to call her "veg veg". UM, no. her name is vegas. shes not a vegetable.

stupid MIL.

• We get "Oh, like Walker, Texas Ranger?"  NO, NOT like WTR!  But I just have to laugh it off because I work with an older population who watch that crap.  Hopefully by the time he's in school no one will know who Chuck Norris is.

And few people can understand why we went with Diesel...but we love it, and so will Walker Diesel!

• imagelolo5000:
    Yep.  I had a coworker who asked me ds name, and after I told him he said, "Why would you do that?"  Rude people I tell you!

i wanna know :)

• I didn't think Quinn was that unusual, but I guess it is...at least for a girl. I get mixed reactions, people either love it or say, 'hmm, that's different'. She's totally a Quinn in my eyes and can't imagine her being named anything else. Yay to uncommon names!! :-)
  • Her name isn't even that odd and everyone in my family besides my dad calls her by some nickname or another.  It gets butchered all the time too. I don't get it.  
  • imagemfransdell:
    Her name isn't even that odd and everyone in my family besides my dad calls her by some nickname or another.  It gets butchered all the time too. I don't get it.  

what is it? i wanna know. :)

• imageLittleLotero:

imagefirsttimemama:

sadly, there are a ton of idiots in this world.

i LOVE her name, FWIW.

It's true.  And thank you! 

imagereannegummer:

imagefirsttimemama:

I absolutely adore the name Neriah.  Everytime you post, I smile at your DD's name.  She is beautiful.

Aww, thank you so much!

• imageLittleLotero:

imagemfransdell:
    Her name isn't even that odd and everyone in my family besides my dad calls her by some nickname or another.  It gets butchered all the time too. I don't get it.  

what is it? i wanna know. :)

Camelia, pronounced like the flower. Or like Amelia for those that don't know the flower.

• My DD's name is June and people always ask why we named her June if she was born in August. It is a family name thats why.
  • imageshellbell256:
    My DD's name is June and people always ask why we named her June if she was born in August. It is a family name thats why.

lol.  Guess I should've named my DD October then.

• DD's name isn't that uncommon, but not super popular either. The only negative-ish comment I got was before she was born-- that it reminded them of Axl Rose..lol. Obviously it didn't change the way I felt about the name. :) 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"